Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lane keep keeps my car about 6 inches from the left lane marker. This is unacceptable and I want to get it adjusted so the car is kept slightly right of the land center. The dealer says it is not possible to adjust it either mechanically or through software.

However, I note that Safelight TV commercials say that they will replace your (broken) windshield AND recalibrate your advanced safety system, whatever that is.

Had anyone used Safeite and did they adjust the Lane Keep Assist? (Safelith doesn't answer their phone i person and I don't want to drive 20 miles to my closes one for nothing)

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
283 Posts
The dealer is right, it is not possible to adjust it mechanically nor via software. Recalibrating the camera is the only method, and if that doesn't work, SOL. The lane-keep firmware stuff seems to be a bunch of hardcoded policies written by Hyundai engineers, and since these units are technically non-upgradable (unless there's a TSB or some sort of recall), what you have is what you get.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
133 Posts
I saw in another thread a suggestion to find an open stretch of straight road with good lane markers, turn on LKA and let it drive. It may get close to the left and then the right but will eventually center itself if you don't interfere (of course, grab the wheel if you have to). My car hugged the left though not as close as yours, but after doing the above a few times it improved greatly. It's almost like it has a self-calibration process. Now I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ok folks,, it is up to you to drive the car between the lines, Lane keep only use camera to reference the lines on road, and determine that you drifting over the line and provide audible warning.. lane keep does not drive for you, that is your responsibility

As noted, the is no adjustment physically of camera or internal software parameter made with a keyboard.. calibration consist of pattern board it certain height placed "x" distance in front of bumper and submit, then moved forward "x" distance and submit again.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line Phantom Black
118 Posts
Isn't the original post really talking about HDA and not LKA? I love HDA but don't trust it at night, it can't see well enough to stay in the lane.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,817 Posts
I saw in another thread a suggestion to find an open stretch of straight road with good lane markers, turn on LKA and let it drive. It may get close to the left and then the right but will eventually center itself if you don't interfere (of course, grab the wheel if you have to). My car hugged the left though not as close as yours, but after doing the above a few times it improved greatly. It's almost like it has a self-calibration process. Now I don't even think about it.
That was actually me that posted the procedure. It does take a minute or so of touchy feely to center itself. I just do it now by habit. Don't worry, it will never drift over the left line at all.

I've also noticed that it's also a parallax view mirage. You are looking at the lane from the left (right in UK, etc.) side of the car. So, of course the you don't see straight down the center of the road. If you moved so you personally were in the center of the road the car would be on the right side of the road.

Try this the next time you think it's hogging the left. Just bend over enough to look out of the windshield directly under the mirror (center). I bet you'll find that it's more centered than you thought. The 1 minute giggle hunt just makes it a bit more accurate.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
283 Posts
Isn't the original post really talking about HDA and not LKA? I love HDA but don't trust it at night, it can't see well enough to stay in the lane.
I think people often get confused about the Hyundai acronym's jargon.

SCC = Smart Cruise Control
- Applies adaptive gas & brakes depending on lead vehicles & set speed. Works in stop & go traffic. However, if the vehicle is stationary for longer than 3 seconds, you need to manually depress the gas pedal OR hit the resume button.

LKA = Lane Keeping Assist
- Only works above 45mph, and when the indicator (car w/ lane lines) is green. Depending on your settings, LKA will either 1) audible alert when passing over a lane line or 2) audible alert + steering assist to maneuver you back into the lane.

LFA = Lane Following Assist
- Works at any speed, but requires the presence of lane lines. This is what keeps you actively centered in the lanes. Indicator is green when active and gray when not. (Steering wheel icon).

HDA = Highway Driving Assist
- HDA is a combination of SCC + LFA. It basically enables smart cruise control + lane following assists together, while adding the following 3 features.
1) Extends the stationary manual resume delay from stop & go traffic, from 3 seconds.
2) Slowdown on curves based on navigation data.
3) Automatic speed adjustment based on speed limits from navigation data.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In the fb group a lady totaled her car and blamed lane keep assist , I’m lucky cause I never use it because the button is inconvenient to find then press.

I would say expecting a Hyundai dealer to fix something like that or even care is shocking to me ! try Mercedes or Audi.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
whatever it is called, it was improved by one of the updates on the sonata. at first, it did really favor the left side. after the update, it does not, and after a couple of minutes or less, our car now tracks much better. but i still dont like it. on our elantra, it is noticeably better

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,817 Posts
whatever it is called, it was improved by one of the updates on the sonata. at first, it did really favor the left side. after the update, it does not, and after a couple of minutes or less, our car now tracks much better. but i still dont like it. on our elantra, it is noticeably better
Yes, I noticed the difference around the October '21 update cycle.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
283 Posts
Yes, I noticed the difference around the October '21 update cycle.
This is purely anecdotal. It is not possible for the lane following assist features to improve via the infotainment updates. Hyundai updates ONLY impacts the infotainment, including map data. It is impossible for the infotainment update to affect any ECUs in the car, including the LFA camera, which is what operates the lane following assist software. A quick example of this is how infotainment updates never affect our clusters, because it runs separately and only communicates via CAN!

Unless your LFA camera was updated manually by a Hyundai technician, the firmware has not changed since the day you bought your car.

Newer Hyundai vehicles like the Ioniq 6 and Genesis GV60/G90 use Hyundai’s new ccIC, which runs ethernet to enable user-upgradable ECUs. This is currently not available on our Sonata, nor the Santa Fe.

You can unpackage the updates yourself and you will see absolutely nothing that affects your cars systems, beyond the infotainment.

I’ve been running the comma three, which queries the LFA camera over CAN for its firmware on startup, and this has not changed after running infotainment updates.

Edit: I should add that, the way the lane following assist features in our cars work is that the LFA camera up on your windshield gathers information about what it sees, computes the steering angles, and then sends signals via CAN to the steering rack to turn the wheel. In order to make any changes to the lane following assist firmware, it must be done to the camera.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I turned off all of the lane and auto features except braking. They keep dumbing us down. Most people already can't drive a stickshift.

By the way, until Apple, Microsoft, and other manufacturers show me a system that doesn't freeze, crash, or update at the most inconvenient times I will never trust a computer to drive for me. I hope no one else kills me on the road by trusting theirs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try this the next time you think it's hogging the left. Just bend over enough to look out of the windshield directly under the mirror (center). I bet you'll find that it's more centered than you thought. The 1 minute giggle hunt just makes it a bit more accurate.
That's exactly what I've done and led to my concern. If I'm onthe highway and can see in my side view mirror that the side of the car is 6" or less from the center line then it's too close to the center line. It's really unnerving when I'm hugging the line like that and a semi in the other lane is hugging the line too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are doing a 6,000 mile road trip thru the western U.S. There are so many two lane winding mountain roads with switchbacks and oncoming traffic utilizing the centerline because of driving too fast. Both of us can't occupy the same space. I know enough about technology that I won't trust it. For instance, they forgot to interlink the nav system with the lane following so when you need to exit a highway to go where you need to go the system jiggles your steering wheel because it wants to go sraight even though the nav system says to exit.

The technology and how it is implemented is still way to dumb for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem I have is we have to answer or input something for the computer instead of it working for us. I wont even punch the watch the road acknowledgement on the nav unit. Wise up manufacturers. My vehicles last a very long time. If they want me to buy another one then subjugate the computers to humans. Not the other way around. By the way, a nav unit that depends on access to the cloud is pretty useless in no cloud access areas. A nav unit that requires a bluelink subscription to be able to use is also pretty useless, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
1,248 Posts
The problem I have is we have to answer or input something for the computer instead of it working for us. I wont even punch the watch the road acknowledgement on the nav unit. Wise up manufacturers. My vehicles last a very long time. If they want me to buy another one then subjugate the computers to humans. Not the other way around. By the way, a nav unit that depends on access to the cloud is pretty useless in no cloud access areas. A nav unit that requires a bluelink subscription to be able to use is also pretty useless, in my opinion.
These systems are assistance-only systems, not to be relied upon. This is very clearly stated and documented. Until a car tells you it will drive itself, you shouldn't expect to not be part of the driving. If you don't like the system, turn it off.

As to the nav and cloud connection, it can work without it. The nav has a built-in database that it can rely upon when no connection is available. There's a reason the map update requires a 64GB flash drive... Blue Link adds a layer of convenience by actively re-routing you around traffic and being able to search for points of interest that are not in its database. But nowhere does it state that you must have Blue Link to use it. Why would you think that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts