Hyundai Forums banner

KYB Rear Shocks installed

517K views 2K replies 246 participants last post by  xavis 
#1 ·
Elantra Rear Shock Absorbers

My 2012 Elantra with 10,000 km sounded like the rear suspension was bottoming out with a loud clunk whenever I went over a bad bump or heave in the road. It was the right rear shock, which was replaced under warranty. The car handled well so it wasn't as if the damping had disappeared. About 500 km later the left rear shock had to be replaced under warranty as the loud clunking as if the suspension was bottoming out returned. I'm not sure of the shock manufacturer Hyundai is using, but they obviously had/have a quality control problem or the shocks just aren't up to the job. I live in the country and drive a lot of secondary roads, but have never had shocks go like this before. Something in the internal hydraulic value circuit is going wrong. Hopefully the new replacements last longer or I may have to go aftermarket.

#3 ·
I am hoping for KYB to start producing one. It also could be that it already exist, just need to cross reference it for us.

#4 ·
Both my rear shocks are being replaced on Thursday this week.
Same problem , they sound like they are bottoming out when going over slight dips in road.
Interestingly the shocks were backordered for two weeks , the dealer eventually told us that his dealership has replaced six sets of Elantra shocks so far that is why the delay. Shortage of them in Canada
So yes it must be a bad run of bad parts .

#5 ·
I had the exact same problem as the OP... 5800kms on the car. Had my shocks replaced yesterday and what a huge difference. I believe the rear shocks were defective from day one and progressively got worse. The left rear shock was leaking, the right rear shock was not leaking but was defective as well. After removing the right rear shock the mechanic showed me that it compressed somewhat normally when pushed about half way in and then no resistance after that so it would bottom out.

With both new rear shocks installed, the car now corners very well (even when pushed) while keeping the rear end somewhat glued to the pavement as opposed to being totally unpredictable with the faulty ones. When driving over man hole covers or cracks in the road, the car doesn't twitch sideways at all or bottom out anymore. On rural roads or highways, the car is much more stable and there is no longer a need to constantly correct the steering wheel from the back of the car feeling loose over bumps.

Definitely a bad run of shocks, let's just hope this doesn't reoccur with the new set they installed.

All in all, I was really happy with the service department. I feel they went the extra mile to ensure my problem got resolved.

#7 ·
My rear suspension wasn't noisy until it bottomed out... Then you would hear a loud bang. When it didn't bang/bottom out, the rear of the car was floaty but no squeaks or weird noises.
The only thing I can suggest is if you feel the car is not handling like it is supposed to or making weird noises, take it in and have the them inspect it.

#10 ·
Tech beside me had a right rear shock... what we found is the shock would slide freely, then solid and resistance as oil hit valving to restrict piston movement.. suspect tube is short of oil,, and when it hits air, the piston travel free, then when oil hit valving (restriction), THUMP.. momemtary hydro lock, then shock move again with resistance as oil pass through valving.

#12 ·
See if anyone knows the answer to this but Monroe has a listing for our cars. It's said to be superior compared to stock units. What's odd is that most sites list this as the correct shock but Amazon said it's not. Go to the Monroe site and even they said it's the correct part.
Monroe part #5622

What's interesting is this part also is good for the 2007 models and up. Maybe someone here who works at the dealership or a parts store might be able to check if they do in fact use the same shocks. I personally see it as being somewhat misinformed as the 2011s up are a total redesign but I could be wrong and they could in fact, use the same shock. If so, that'll mean that the KYBs sold for the earlier models might work. That would be great as I will ditch the stockers as soon as I find nice replacements.

#13 ·
Different part number called out in my price guide between the HD and MD Elantra on rear

#15 ·
Thanks! I had a feeling it was something worth confirming.

I'll definitely be contacting Monroe and/or KYB.

#16 ·
We have been driving our 2012 Elantra for a few days now after last week they replaced under warranty the faulty rear shocks.
The car no longer bottoms out like it did before on simple dips in road.

I also suspect these faulty shocks might of been a partial factor in the winter driving problems we had with this car where rear end seemed loose .
I think the lousey shocks and the electric steering combined to make it a poor handler.

Hopefully this will help improve that somewhat.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)

Like it was built for my car (color), I installed KYB's rear shocks. I will be getting a full drive later but a short test drive made me happy. It's noticably firmer with more feedback. Road noise over bumps were reduced with better control. In a day or so I'll be giving a better report but so far I'm very pleased.

Shocks side by side

Stock

KYB

Some pics and tips I have hiding in these pages
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1160286-post31.html

If given the time, others also have posted their tricks and tips.

#27 ·
Thanks! Now I'm lovin' the ride much better.

Ooooh, this may be one mod I actually do. Let us know how it works.
Will do. Let me say it was worth it, to me:D

I'm a fan of gas-a-justs! Nice choice!
Always liked and a fan of KYBs.

Please do let us know how they feel after a few days of driving. I may have an item to add to my Christmas list.
2 days and still happy. Christmas list? If you're like me I'd be installing this the very day I open it. Imaging 12:01am and out to garage I go!

2011 and you already changed the shocks??? or was it done for performance?
Like others or a few of us MD owners, we have our issues with the suspension, good and bad of it. I leaned towards a new set of tires which won't happen 'til these are gone. For quite sometime I felt the problems were the rear shocks. I pretty much nagged KYB to get us some rear shocks and made a promise to myself to get it when it was available. Well, it was released and I stuck to my word.

The stock ones are not filled with gas? they're not good?
My knowledge is the stock shocks are filled with nitrogen gas. The valving and internal design though differs, so I heard. My stock shocks actually are still good as the day I got the car. Though my aches with the suspension woes bothered me.

How much were they? How difficult to install? Thanks.
Price $72/each.

Installation very easy. One pointer I would advise is to have a breaker bar assisted with a metal pipe. I used my floor jack handle. Don't know if the factory used locktite or such but breaking the shocks mounting nuts did require some torque. I used slight pressure when loosening the nuts, careful not to have something snap. I could've used a impact driver but didn't want the risk of snapping something.
Tightening torque I went with 80ft/lbs.

where did you get'um and can you share the part number:
thank you
I got it from Tire Rack. I had good service from them as it was not listed on their site and had to work with KYB on a special order. I see it is now listed on their site. You will notice some slight misinformation showing a white colored shock and mentioning it's for use on the Elantra Touring model. Not sure about the Touring application.

Part #554384

#28 ·
This is great, thanks!

Is there a run-down somewhere of the +/- that you found with the suspension?

I would like a little less body roll as the first thing I noticed, but this seems to be a reasonably-priced upgrade...

Please keep updating as you live with the new shocks and congrats on getting them and getting them on there!

#30 ·
This is great, thanks!

Is there a run-down somewhere of the +/- that you found with the suspension?

I would like a little less body roll as the first thing I noticed, but this seems to be a reasonably-priced upgrade...

Please keep updating as you live with the new shocks and congrats on getting them and getting them on there!
Body roll is reduced. I noticed this on my daily drive which takes me through twisty roads up and down a mountain. This drive also has a concrete paved tunnel. Before the car would sometimes skip and drift on this pavement. Now the car tracks straight and no skipping on the transition joints. This behavior also is felt on bumpy roads.

Sweet. Sounds like a viable alternative to the much more expensive add-on rear torsion bar. I may have to look into a pair myself.
You don't know how many times I pondered on the torsion bar upgrade. Now with the KYBs, the wait was worth it, and like you said, cheaper!

#33 ·
Yes, for our vehicle, KYB only manufactures rear shocks. When the front struts comes available I might consider it. As for my thoughts, I don't have any real issues with the fronts so no rush there.

So $150 for the pair isn't bad. We will probably see these drop in price after they are on the market and available from multiple vendors. Add some new tires and you will see even more improvement. From your pics it looks like you have at least 6 months left on your tires though maybe more.
Yeah, for a newly released part on a somewhat new model car it is priced right. Price shopping another vendor wanted $83.00.

Good observation, Michelins are in the future.

Reactions: HaosofArt
#32 ·
So $150 for the pair isn't bad. We will probably see these drop in price after they are on the market and available from multiple vendors. Add some new tires and you will see even more improvement. From your pics it looks like you have at least 6 months left on your tires though maybe more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.