Hyundai Forums banner

1901 - 1908 of 1908 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am new to the forum, I have KYB shocks coming in the mail, got them from "the Wrench Monkey" in Ontario for my 2013 Elantra GL sedan, 24,000 klm ,they will be here maybe tomorrow or latest this Thursday, the car handles well already, I have the oem Continental 205/55/16 ContiProContact tires.

Looking forward to the installation.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My question is: How much of the stock MD Elantra rear-end behavior is attributed to the shocks, or the aggressive rear toe-in specs?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Finally got around to putting on my KYB's today and took it for a spin down the same road where I could get the squirrelniess to happen. Is it an improvement? Definitely. Is the bouncing completely gone? Not entirely. Do I still have crappy Hankook OEM tires? Yes. I'm thinking that with a new set of tires that will only add to the improved handling. But it definitely feels more solidly planted back there than before. Worth the $200 I'd say.
It is my belief that the primary cause of our rear suspension problems is due to Hyundai's use of torsion beam suspensions. I had the opportunity to drive a Ford Focus equipped with multi-link rear suspension for a couple of days several years ago. Traveling the same rough roads I normally drove, the car's handling and ride was vastly improved and more controlled. So while many have chosen to swap their rear struts for the KYB's, I don't think that's the solution it could be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My question is: How much of the stock MD Elantra rear-end behavior is attributed to the shocks, or the aggressive rear toe-in specs?
Alot , I changed my rear shocks with KYB a few days ago and it's a different car.
I have this ON ramp with a bump on it that I took with 35 mph and my back was dancing to a point that was scary every time.

After the KYB I can take that with 50mph and it's much much better , bumps noice is less.
High speed highway bumps fee much more stable .

If you gonna change anything on your car so the rear shocks .
The stock Elantra rear shocks are TRASH.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1901 - 1908 of 1908 Posts