Hyundai Forums banner

1881 - 1900 of 1908 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You have been assimilated. Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have them on a 2016? I have them on my 2012, no problem. It's an easy install. My son recently got his 2016 SE and he has noticed the hop and he isn't usually in a hurry, thought I'd get these as a gift for him. I think with Amazon Prime if they don't fit it's an easy return anyway. Any 2016 installs?

I ordered them this week for my 2016 haven't received them yet I'll let you know for sure when I get them

Life is a one time offer, make the most of it

·
Registered
249 Posts
Appreciate it weeseven. Have you had it out in the snow? I wish I had one of those rear camera setups, would have avoided a pile of frozen snow and a cracked rear bumper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Appreciate it weeseven. Have you had it out in the snow? I wish I had one of those rear camera setups, would have avoided a pile of frozen snow and a cracked rear bumper.

I've had it out not the greatest in the snow Bummer about your bumper camera would have been great

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I've had it out not the greatest in the snow
On stock tires, the Elantra is properly dangerous in the snow but with dedicated winter tires, it transforms into a snowmobile.

I have a set of Blizzak WS70 winter tires that I wouldn't fathom being without when the white stuff falls. However, if the family move to Arizona pans out, they won't be coming with.

Reactions: OkieRich

·
22,788 Posts
I've seen some of Andrew's videos on YouTube. Those tires sure seem to know what they're up against and take on all challenges. I wouldn't have the cajones to travel those snow packed roads in his locale as swiftly/confidently as he does.

I'll just remain seated firmly down here in the Southwest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Needless to say, mine are on order now. :grin2: :banana:
Got mine installed last night. As others have said, ridiculously easy install. More time spent gathering tools and putting them away, than actual wrenching.

For those who may be doing this soon, here are some handy things to know:

Lug nut = 21mm (torque to 65.1 ~ 79.6lb-ft)
Upper rear shock bolt = 17mm (torque to 72.3 ~ 86.8lb-ft)
Lower rear shock nut = 19mm deep socket* (torque to 72.3 ~ 86.8lb-ft)
* depending on your sockets, you may be able to get away with a standard socket, or perhaps a mid sized

Hyundai Service Manual - rear shock replacement:
Hyundai Elantra: Replacement - Rear Shock Absorber. Repair procedures - Rear Suspension System - Suspension System - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2017 Service manual

I have only driven on them a bit, so can't really say what differences there are yet.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Got mine installed last night. As others have said, ridiculously easy install. More time spent gathering tools and putting them away, than actual wrenching.

For those who may be doing this soon, here are some handy things to know:

Lug nut = 21mm (torque to 65.1 ~ 79.6lb-ft)

Upper rear shock bolt = 17mm (torque to 72.3 ~ 86.8lb-ft)

Lower rear shock nut = 19mm deep socket* (torque to 72.3 ~ 86.8lb-ft)

* depending on your sockets, you may be able to get away with a standard socket, or perhaps a mid sized

Hyundai Service Manual - rear shock replacement:

Hyundai Elantra: Replacement - Rear Shock Absorber. Repair procedures - Rear Suspension System - Suspension System - Hyundai Elantra MD 2010-2017 Service manual

I have only driven on them a bit, so can't really say what differences there are yet.

Give them a few weeks to break in and you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep. I was not saying that to suggest there was no difference. I am definitely expecting improvement. Even just visually inspecting the elastomers in the shock mount, I can tell the KYB is a better made product. I already have some feeling of improvement, but really need more time behind the wheel to offer a full evaluation. I'll try to post up with that later. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have them on a 2016? I have them on my 2012, no problem. It's an easy install. My son recently got his 2016 SE and he has noticed the hop and he isn't usually in a hurry, thought I'd get these as a gift for him. I think with Amazon Prime if they don't fit it's an easy return anyway. Any 2016 installs?

Just installed on my 2016 they went on no problem definitely the easiest shock installation I ever do it took me 10 minutes start to finish

·
22,788 Posts
Just installed on my 2016 they went on no problem definitely the easiest shock installation I ever do it took me 10 minutes start to finish.
Coming to your garage the next time I need shocks! :thumbsup:

They certainly do that. See my next note, following this.

I already have some feeling of improvement, but really need more time behind the wheel to offer a full evaluation. I'll try to post up with that later. :)
Advantage: Me. Daily 52 mile RT commute. Installed the KYB's on a Sunday. Began that Monday ho-hum 26 mile jaunt to work. Same route. Combo of local roads, highway. Nine years doing the same old ****! I knew every bump, concrete expansion along the way. I definitely felt an immediate improvement with the KYB's presence on the back end. And as @someguy remarked, they got better with age. Like wine, wives, cheese, and employer-matched 401k's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Finally got around to putting on my KYB's today and took it for a spin down the same road where I could get the squirrelniess to happen. Is it an improvement? Definitely. Is the bouncing completely gone? Not entirely. Do I still have crappy Hankook OEM tires? Yes. I'm thinking that with a new set of tires that will only add to the improved handling. But it definitely feels more solidly planted back there than before. Worth the $200 I'd say.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Finally got around to putting on my KYB's today and took it for a spin down the same road where I could get the squirrelniess to happen. Is it an improvement? Definitely. Is the bouncing completely gone? Not entirely. Do I still have crappy Hankook OEM tires? Yes. I'm thinking that with a new set of tires that will only add to the improved handling. But it definitely feels more solidly planted back there than before. Worth the $200 I'd say.

Can we assume at $200, you had someone put them one for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey all ... I just got my kyb gas-a-just shocks and im doing them tomorrow ... only issue is out of the box ... I cant get them to "expand" ... so they stretch from top bolt to bottom bolt??? how do I do this please

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
hey all ... I just got my kyb gas-a-just shocks and im doing them tomorrow ... only issue is out of the box ... I cant get them to "expand" ... so they stretch from top bolt to bottom bolt??? how do I do this please

You’ll need to raise the torsion bar up to meet the hole on the bottom of the shock. I did mine at a DIY garage and borrowed their transmission jack to push up on the bar until it lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tiger-Heli

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have to say these KYB shocks gas a just ... are amazing ... I bought my MD 2013 elantra a month ago and didn't realize it until I was back in PA where its very windy and bumpy roads by my house that I realized the rear shocks were eff'd up .... I replaced them and instantly saw a huge difference .... thanks for the heads up about this and this forum ... I had a prius before this and I enjoy the forum aspect where you can get a lot of help even on simple or "dumb" questions. next I want to replace my struts or springs on all four tires with the KYB's.

1881 - 1900 of 1908 Posts