Hyundai Forums banner

Kumho Tires

8K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Drewd 
#1 ·
What's your opinion on these? Will you still use them on your next set?

#2 ·
Australian Elantra 2litre auto mpi are fitted with Kumho ECOWING ES01 KH27.
I find them to be rather noisy, but perform well in wet braking and handling.

I would really like feedback on these tyres however I have no idea what Kumho tyres are used on American Hyundai vehicles.

Could you please provide more information on the tyres fitted to your vehicle.

#5 ·
australian elantra 2litre auto mpi are fitted with kumho ecowing es01 kh27.
I find them to be rather noisy, but perform well in wet braking and handling.

I would really like feedback on these tyres however i have no idea what kumho tyres are used on american hyundai vehicles.

Could you please provide more information on the tyres fitted to your vehicle.

solus ta31

#3 ·
Never heard of Kumho or Nexen tires either that came with my Limited in the USA. But apparently been around for awhile.

"Nexen Tire (Korean: 넥센타이어) Corporation is a tire manufacturer headquartered in Yangsan, South Gyeongsang Province and Seoul in South Korea. Established in 1942 under the name, Heung-A Tire Company, Nexen Tire Co. has served the industry for the past 71 years."

On various reviews, claim Nexen is using a bit softer rubber for better traction on ice and snow, I can agree with this. Replacement cost here is under $70.00, more accustomed to paying more than twice this price. Would say they are a quiet tire, but highly depends on the road surface. Wear is about 0.75 mm per 10,000 miles, should last about 50K miles.

#6 ·
I've never owned Kumho tires, but I've heard good things about them. Based on reviews, I strongly considered putting Ecsta SPT KU31's on my BMW, but ultimately decided against them as didn't want to run the risk of not having a spare (BMW came with silly run-flats).

#8 ·
I have 19" Kuhmo's on my 2017 Santa Fe, they have a decent ride. Overall handling is ok but nothing spectacular. When it comes time to replace them I will probably go with either a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde's or Continental DSW06's. Replaced by wife's Hankooks with the DSW06's on her 2016 Tuscon. We immediately noticed and improvement in the ride and drive, and their whole lot quieter than the Hankooks.

#9 ·
You have to be more specific than just "Kumho Tires." Every manufacturer makes many different models of tires, under one or more brand names. The performance of each of there models, even seemingly similar models, can be very different.

I personally have no personal experience with Kumho Tires. However, I have had varying experience with different models from Bridgestone (Turanza's I did not like, and nobody else seemed to either, but I really liked the Dueler H/T). When I purchased Hankook tires, I had to make sure to specify Optimo H727s, which were well-reviewed on Tirerack.com, and not Optimo H725s, which were about $7 cheaper each tire, and not as well reviewed.

Years ago I bought a set of General tires that I did not like at all, but today I see that General Altimax RT43s are well-reviewed on TireRack, and I would not hesitate to buy them.

So you can't just ask about a brand...you have to be more specific.

#14 ·
I posted solus ta31. Do you want a photo of them? Or should I drive the car to your home so you can inspect them. Since you have no experience with them shouldn't you just not comment?
My apologies. I must have missed your subsequent post.
You remind me of my wife.
I'll take that as a compliment.

#11 ·
Anyway, I think tire selection is very subjective. My next set will probably be Michelin. Why? Because my best friend's dad when I was growing up was a regional manager and I would get lots of "Michelin Man" stuff like hats, shirts, key chains, etc. That's why. Do I need to say more?

#13 ·
Can’t speak to Kuhmo’s. Never owned them. Had ContiPro’s on two Elantra’s. Nexen on this one. Put Bridgestone Serenity Plus on the 13. Pirelli on this one. Nexrn’s and OEM rim’s are in the shed, growing whiskers. They’ll go back on if I trade her off.

#18 ·
Shannon, you can use Kumho. A lot of choices from various manufacturers. My experience is my Elantra came with Nexen tires. I have the same size you are looking for. Soft, but had handling limits. I now have General RT43's. Handle better, but feel bumps in road more. Car was wrecked. While being fixed my rental was 2018 Elantra SE with Kumho Solus tires. Really absorbed bumps in road, but gave me a heavy feeling when steering which I did not like. Were noisier that that RT43's. Tire Rack and other online sellers will show choices of tires and have reviews. May be a good place to start.

#20 ·
IMO, the factory Kumhos are a solid 6/10. They ride soft and like @NDSE said, take bumps pretty well, but handling and noise levels are poor. They hum on certain road surfaces and absolutely suck in the snow. I'm at 15k miles and they've started acting squirrelly in the rain. They also skid easily when pulling out of side streets. A plus is that they hold air well. I rarely have to top them off.

#21 ·
oddly enough I keep having to adjust the air pressure in my tires (Kumho Solos?) Other than that I guess I'd agree with our 6/10. They do the job. I wouldn't even drive an Elantra in the snow without dedicated snow tires so I have no comment on their performance but I would expect them to be poor because the car is a small, light, FWD vehicle that isn't made for snow.

#22 ·
I put new Kumhos Crugen's on my wife's diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee and I can honestly say they were the best all season tire I've ever driven on. Blew up wolf creek pass in blizzard conditions without any concerns other than visibility many times last winter and traction was incredible. A little noiser than Michelin and Firestone's I had in the past but overall a better tire. Not sure of other Kumho brands but I will probably replace my Santa Fe's with them.

As for Nexen, have light truck tire Nexen's on a truck and they have served me well for the past 3 years with no concerns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.