Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These tires came on my 2017 SantaFe and I'm wondering if it's just me cause I find them to be the nosiest tires I've ever had. Anyone else find them to be nosy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are not alone my friend. I dislike most Kumho tires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yep, my 2014 has the same tires as well and it is noisy but I can live with it. Hyundai and Kia are well known for using cheap tires so it’s not a surprise lol, I will go with better brand once I replace these OEM tires. Heard really good things about Michelin Primacy or Pilot Sport and that would be on my list for replacement tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Basshound

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Tires are often a lowest bid item on most vehicles. As you progress into more expensive vehicles (Think more expensive brands, not models within brands) you will find that tire quality generally increases. That said......It is equally about how well a tire and vehicle are matched. I have seen Michelin tires on GM vehicles that just did not work out and a lesser brand actually provided for better wear, less noise, or whatever.

I do agree with prior posts. I generally avoid Kumho as a matter of personal preference as I do not care for the wear and winter traction they provide.

Reactions: Old's Cool

·
Registered
200 Posts
Find them noisy as well, but not as noisy as my wife's original Hankook tires on her Tuscon. They are wearing well, so no need to replace them just yet. I am thinking of going to 20's when I do replace them though. Saw a Santa Fe that the dealer had put 20's on and liked the look. Going to see if I can test drive one to see what I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2014 Santa Fe's OE Kumho's (I think they were City Venture) were just fine until about 40k miles. Although they were still a couple mm from the wear bars, the tires started to have poor wet weather traction. In fact, the traction control light would often light up when simply driving at a constant speed thru standing water on the highway.

I bought Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus tires at about 45k miles. I now have about 85k miles on the car, and the Pirelli's have been very good, especially lately. Even though I'm down to about the same tread as when I replaced the Kumho's, the Pirelli's still have very good wet weather traction. Just yesterday it was raining, and I tested the Pirellis by given the car a bunch of gas from a stop. No wheel spin whatsoever. I will likely get a new set of Pirellis Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus tires soon.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I cannot speak for the Pirellis, but a lot of mid to higher end tire manufacturers area dding silica into the tire formulation. Silica can both lower rolling resistance and provide for better traction, even as the tires wear. Don't confuse traction with the ability to reduce hydroplaning though. If your tires are still worn down close to the wear bars they are most likely still more vulnerable to hydroplaning than when new. How much more depends on the tread patterns and siping and that will vary by tire design.

Reactions: Old's Cool

·
Registered
196 Posts
I replaced the OEM City Venture's around 45k miles. They did fine, but as stated above were on the louder side and weren't great in the wet.

I replaced them with Firestone Destination LE2. Pretty mainstream tire for crossovers. I'm pleased so far. The Destinations are quieter and a tad more comfortable. My only complaint is that the tires sometimes appear low on air pressure even when they're fine. I guess it's in the sidewall design.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/showthread.php?t=638193I purchased a 2015 Kia Sorrento which had the Kumho Crugen tires. The car steered weird with them and did not feel planted well to the ground. After 3,000 miles, I took them off the Kia and placed them on my 2007 SantaFe which was in need of tires. The Santy loved them. Excellent traction, drove like in a groove and no noise. The Kia got Continental Cross Contact Eco Plus tires and it drove like a dream. Different tires on different vehicles definately act different.

If you look at tire reviews, one person will say he got 30,000 miles out of a tire and it was trashed. Someone else with a different vehicle and same tire gets 70,000 miles with no problem. Go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts