Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read that the 2019 Tucson will look more like the Kona in design and it will have adaptive cruise control. I really like the height of the Kona but I do wish it had a little more room in the back seat and cargo area. I think I will still wait to see 2019 Kona in hopes that they add adaptive cruise control.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking hard at replacing my VW GTI with a Kona Limited awd. It not having adaptive cruise wouldn't stop me from buying one, but I'd like to have that.

My guess is that adaptive cruise will make it into the Kona. It is a feature that I'd bet in the not too distant future will be found on most all cars. It would be great if it was added on the 2019 model.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I’ve read that the 2019 Tucson will look more like the Kona in design and it will have adaptive cruise control. I really like the height of the Kona but I do wish it had a little more room in the back seat and cargo area. I think I will still wait to see 2019 Kona in hopes that they add adaptive cruise control.
Thoughts?

I agree, I want to pull the trigger buy it just might be too short. It needs 6 more inches. They screwed up making it way too short. Even 4 inches would of made it a GO for me. And put it ALL into the back seat legs "Plastered" to the rear of the front seats. Fools!!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree, I want to pull the trigger buy it just might be too short. It needs 6 more inches. They screwed up making it way too short. Even 4 inches would of made it a GO for me. And put it ALL into the back seat legs "Plastered" to the rear of the front seats. Fools!!!

I'm guessing it is a combination of wanting to make it clearly different from the Tucson (which is a foot longer), as well as being able to use an existing platform (sharing it with the Kia Soul). If you want a longer car, then the Tucson is likely a better choice.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
I own both.

If you do a lot of highway travel I don’t think the adaptive cruise is a big deal. I fact it is dangerous if used in an urban area. I had it in my Genesis and Azeras and it was marginally useful.

The Kona does have one very useful feature and that is the lane departure warning. To my knowledge no current Tucson offers that feature.

The Tucson offers a power passenger seat in the Limited models. The Kona does not offer in any trim level.

The Tucson has more interior volume and the ride is less harsh. However I haven’t driven the AWD version and it might be better with its multi link suspension.

If you get the Tucson get the Turbo. If you get the Kona any engine is sufficient. The 2.0 is underpowered in the Tucson.

The Kona is more “tossable” and more fun to drive.

The trunk in the Kona will hold quite a bit of groceries and the cover works well when raising the hatch.

The rear seats in the Kona are necessarily tight but probably fine for kids, pets and small adults.

Drive both and make your own call. If most of your driving is urban then the Kona may be the better choice.

If considerable highway travel. I would go with the Tucson.

If you are worried about the DCT, which I am not, wait for the 2019 model when the DCT and turbo will be dropped in favor of a 2.4 and six speed transmission. I don’t know if the 1.6T nd DCT will be offered in the Kona in 2019. Personally, I think the DCT is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife and I were turning in our leased 15 Sonata and test drove the Tuscon and the Kona. She liked both, but she thought the Kona was just cooler looking, and liked the interior a bit more. Plus since it is a lease and we only wanted to go up to the SEL, we went with the Kona.

Both are nice cars, just a preference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like rmissourimule said, it really comes down to preference.
I had a '16 Tucson 1.6 Ultimate for the last -3 years (company lease). Really like the vehicle except for the transmission & turbo/ engine performance.
Even after the dealer OEM replaced the transmission, the DCT inspires no confidence or consistency during driving.
I took out the latest '18 and newest '19 Tucson for comparison. Found they were dropping too many features between the new trim levels, and the transmission was still the same.
To get what I 'had' would cost more having to move to the top end trim.

Tested the Kona and was impressed with the 2. L. I may miss having the 7 speed transmission, but was happy with the comfort, features and trim level.
I don't need to worry about rear room (D.I.N.K.) and only haul daily work tools.
At 6'2 I was really impressed with interior driver space/ comfort too. Especially for a smaller footprint.
Looking forward to better economy, simple driving enjoyment and continued Android Auto.
We'll see if the 6 speed or highway noise are noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts