Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We traded a 2014 Lexus IS250 for a Sonic Silver Kona Limited and, so far at least, I much prefer driving the Kona. And although not as much as the Miata we had before the IS250, the Kona is fun to drive. It has less road noise than the IS250 and much more comfortable for me to get in and out. (I'm only 6 ft, 165 lbs and hit my head every entry/exit in the IS250.)

The amount of road noise varies depending on how smooth the pavement. On smooth asphalt I found the Kona to be very quite. On roads with a more coarse surface the road noise was noticeable but not harsh at all. On smooth asphalt at highway speeds normal conversation between front seat occupants is easy. On more coarse roads at highway speeds I might bump the volume of the radio up one or two notches but conversation is still easy.

The DCT certainly has a different feel at slow take-off. Once you're rolling good it's more like a typical automatic transmission. As a pretty experienced manual transmission driver I see the resemblance and can imagine just how the clutch could experience more wear if you were often slowly inching forward. I can picture riding a manual clutch just a bit in those situations and imagine the same wear potential on the DCT clutches. I think the DCT is happiest when you just accelerate and go.

The storage capacity is sufficient but, after all, this is a subcompact vehicle. I think it might be a bit tight for those who plan to carry a lot of gear for say, camping.

Some of the things I like about the Kona are:
I love that the Bluetooth sync allows one device to be set as Priority. We have the wife's phone as the priority device and it's easy for me to switch devices on the display when I drive alone. The wife never has to worry when she drives (assuming she didn't forget her phone).

I find the seats to be very comfortable - quite a bit more comfortable than those in the SEL we test drove. (mogelijk - did you ever go back and drive a Limited or Ultimate for comparison?)

I really like that the TPMS shows the tire pressure for each tire.

The turbo is quite responsive after you're up to about 20 MPH.

The steering has a nice and quick feel (but steering feedback is muted).
I much prefer the automatic climate control as compared to the manual control in the SE/SEL packages.

The touch screen response on the display is very responsive and I find it very intuitive.

I like that the Kona does NOT have Stop/Start.

It appears every programmable feature is programmable in the User Settings. I didn't have to have the dealership (or use other tools to) change the the doorlock preference and number of flashes for the momentary/lane change indicator. (I did have to enable the rear-cross-traffic warning which was inexplicably off when the Kona was delivered.)

Some minuses to me:
No Homelink. Although a button-clipped-to-the-visor is not a real big deal and Homelink is on the Ultimate package.

No parking sensors.

The DCT transmission can be a bit jerky on slow take-offs - likely to be annoying to hyper-milers.

It would have been nice to have power adjustments for the front passenger seat.

CarPlay does not allow the use of Google Maps (I know, not Hyudai's fault but I can still complain, huh?)

Not really a compaint but the tick-tock sound of the turn indicators will take some getting used-to.

The Kona is primarily my wife's vehicle, mine is a 2016 Highlander. The Highlander has a better and quieter ride than the Kona but around town the Kona is more fun to drive. The Kona also gets much better gas mileage, obviously. Overall, the Kona has a good solid feel to it and it's fun to drive. I've always been reluctant to buy a first-year model but I like what I've seen and experienced so far and hope for several trouble-free years.

Did I mention that the Kona is fun to drive? It is.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We traded a 2014 Lexus IS250 for a Sonic Silver Kona Limited and, so far at least, I much prefer driving the Kona. And although not as much as the Miata we had before the IS250, the Kona is fun to drive. It has less road noise than the IS250 and much more comfortable for me to get in and out. (I'm only 6 ft, 165 lbs and hit my head every entry/exit in the IS250.)

The amount of road noise varies depending on how smooth the pavement. On smooth asphalt I found the Kona to be very quite. On roads with a more coarse surface the road noise was noticeable but not harsh at all. On smooth asphalt at highway speeds normal conversation between front seat occupants is easy. On more coarse roads at highway speeds I might bump the volume of the radio up one or two notches but conversation is still easy.

The DCT certainly has a different feel at slow take-off. Once you're rolling good it's more like a typical automatic transmission. As a pretty experienced manual transmission driver I see the resemblance and can imagine just how the clutch could experience more wear if you were often slowly inching forward. I can picture riding a manual clutch just a bit in those situations and imagine the same wear potential on the DCT clutches. I think the DCT is happiest when you just accelerate and go.

The storage capacity is sufficient but, after all, this is a subcompact vehicle. I think it might be a bit tight for those who plan to carry a lot of gear for say, camping.

Some of the things I like about the Kona are:
I love that the Bluetooth sync allows one device to be set as Priority. We have the wife's phone as the priority device and it's easy for me to switch devices on the display when I drive alone. The wife never has to worry when she drives (assuming she didn't forget her phone).

I find the seats to be very comfortable - quite a bit more comfortable than those in the SEL we test drove. (mogelijk - did you ever go back and drive a Limited or Ultimate for comparison?)

I really like that the TPMS shows the tire pressure for each tire.

The turbo is quite responsive after you're up to about 20 MPH.

The steering has a nice and quick feel (but steering feedback is muted).
I much prefer the automatic climate control as compared to the manual control in the SE/SEL packages.

The touch screen response on the display is very responsive and I find it very intuitive.

I like that the Kona does NOT have Stop/Start.

It appears every programmable feature is programmable in the User Settings. I didn't have to have the dealership (or use other tools to) change the the doorlock preference and number of flashes for the momentary/lane change indicator. (I did have to enable the rear-cross-traffic warning which was inexplicably off when the Kona was delivered.)

Some minuses to me:
No Homelink. Although a button-clipped-to-the-visor is not a real big deal and Homelink is on the Ultimate package.

No parking sensors.

The DCT transmission can be a bit jerky on slow take-offs - likely to be annoying to hyper-milers.

It would have been nice to have power adjustments for the front passenger seat.

CarPlay does not allow the use of Google Maps (I know, not Hyudai's fault but I can still complain, huh?)

Not really a compaint but the tick-tock sound of the turn indicators will take some getting used-to.

The Kona is primarily my wife's vehicle, mine is a 2016 Highlander. The Highlander has a better and quieter ride than the Kona but around town the Kona is more fun to drive. The Kona also gets much better gas mileage, obviously. Overall, the Kona has a good solid feel to it and it's fun to drive. I've always been reluctant to buy a first-year model but I like what I've seen and experienced so far and hope for several trouble-free years.

Did I mention that the Kona is fun to drive? It is.
Good to hear you are enjoying the Kona. I haven't been back yet to try the Limited/Ultimate -- I'm thinking it will be next year before I decide to buy one (it will give them a chance to add the adaptive cruise) so I'm not in any hurry.

I'm really impressed with the job Hyundai did designing the Kona, and suspect (since the engine/transmission is used in other models) that it should be relatively trouble free, particularly for a first year model. Of course, the nice thing with Hyundai is the warranty, if you do have issues.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You can add the Homelink. I did that with my SEL with tech package.

https://www.hyundaiaccessories.com/...tionSheets/j9f62_au000.pdf?cts=20180512152557

https://www.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2018/kona/j9f62-au000/

Judging from the instructions I would have the dealer handle it.

The standard Limited will just provide the auto dimming. I wanted that along with Homelink.

I also added the mud guards.

On the DCT, bear in mind that this is not an automatic transmission. It is an automated manual transmission so you do not have to manually depress the clutch pedal.

Do not use it for hill holding as it is possible to burn out the clutches. I believe there is a hill holding button for that purpose.

For going through stop and go traffic, I would suggest moving to the manual side and put it in 1st year and let it creep along as the clutches are fully engaged. Where I live that is not a problem. I had a 2016 Tucson with the DCT and never had a problem although it will "stumble" occasionally. That seems to be a constant complaint. And it may be that is why Hyundai is discontinuing the Turbo and the DCT in the 2019 Tucson models and going to the 2.4 engine and conventional transmission exclusively. I do not know if it will be continued in the Kona.

The 2.4 and auto can now be found in the "Sport" models and I will say that is a vast improvement over the underpowered 2.0 engine. However, it is rather basic in options but it is available. In the Kona the 2.0 Atkisson engine will suffice nicely. It must be the extra 400 pounds in the Tucson that is the problem.

But as far as the Kona is concerned, just bear in mind that this is not a true automatic. If you drive properly it will probably never cause a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points about the transmission. And good tip on creeping in 1st gear.

Thanks for the links to the accessories, too. I had thought a little about the Homelink mirror but the detail provided in the link shows that it's not a simple swap - much more involved than I had hoped. I think I'll just keep my button clipped to the visor for now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
+1 on the link for the Homelink mirror. Local dealer here said it can't be installed on account of different computer systems in the top end 1.6 t and others.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
+1 on the link for the Homelink mirror. Local dealer here said it can't be installed on account of different computer systems in the top end 1.6 t and others.
So it can be installed on the SEL but not on the entry Limited models??

I’d get a second opinion.

The top line Limited should already have it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am impressed with ours too. We have the Ultimate that I got since we wanted the Collision Avoidance System.
My problem is I feel the system does not work.I pull up right behind stopped cars at a signal and I never get any braking automatically and I finally manually stop the car.
I spent a day at the Dealer and they checked out the car and said all is fine ?? They said that Hyundai told them that there is no way to test the system !! This I find hard to believe !!
If you're selves or anyone on this forum car help It will be appreciated
Thanks. --. George Wells

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just test drove a Ultimate and forgot to check, does it have tire pressure monitoring? If yes does it give pressure for each tire or just say something is low when it is via light or message?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just test drove a Ultimate and forgot to check, does it have tire pressure monitoring? If yes does it give pressure for each tire or just say something is low when it is via light or message?

Thank you
My recollection is yes, it shows tire pressure for the individual tires. Hopefully, one of the Kona owner's will verify my memory. This should be on all the models of the Kona, even the SE.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So it can be installed on the SEL but not on the entry Limited models??

I’d get a second opinion.

The top line Limited should already have it.
The top line (Canada) 1.6 t does have the home link. It's the only trim line that offers it.

The local dealer here screwed the deal so I've traveled 30 min. to the next city and made a new deal there. Once it arrives, I'll check again with them.

Interesting how some of the most basic (you'd think) and useful features are being switched up and not available?

Oh, to see them bring the mysterious 'N' Kona to Canada!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts