Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced that door window seals do not clear rain if windows are driven down and back up? The dealer has said seal is only to keep out dirt/ dust and the seal will not clear water you have to use squeegee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are right. The window seal on the door is designed to seal against the window when it is closed, but the window will rarely touch it on the way up or down. This eliminates drag and excessive window motor wear. It does not work as a squeegee anymore. Back in the day it was a quick solution to fogged windows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, they said window rubber would wear and become serviceable part? No mention of drag on motor.
This is strange as last four Peugeot’s and ford ka manage to clear windows with no issues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, there could be a number of reasons engineers change designs. I haven't heard the "serviceable part" explanation, but I guess it could be. It could even be do to the lines of the vehicle the curve of the glass starts its curve very near the bottom. It may have nothing to do with part preservation at all. I guess the straighter the door the more likely it could rub the seal al the way up. (like a van or a pick up). It is difficult comparing brands, just as much as comparing models of the same brand. As the old saying goes, it's comparing apples to oranges. My Mazda CX5 does not clear the windows either. It was a bummer when I first tried it. Especially after having my 1994 Mazda B4000 pick up clear the windows. :)(y) Have a good one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, there could be a number of reasons engineers change designs. I haven't heard the "serviceable part" explanation, but I guess it could be. It could even be do to the lines of the vehicle the curve of the glass starts its curve very near the bottom. It may have nothing to do with part preservation at all. I guess the straighter the door the more likely it could rub the seal al the way up. (like a van or a pick up). It is difficult comparing brands, just as much as comparing models of the same brand. As the old saying goes, it's comparing apples to oranges. My Mazda CX5 does not clear the windows either. It was a bummer when I first tried it. Especially after having my 1994 Mazda B4000 pick up clear the windows. :)(y) Have a good one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The serviceable part and also that seal keeps out dirt and debris?
This is disappointing as you have to stand out in the rain clearing windows with squeegee before setting off in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The serviceable part and also that seal keeps out dirt and debris?
This is disappointing as you have to stand out in the rain clearing windows with squeegee before setting off in the car.
RainX would be a solution. Or wax the windows...rain just runs off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is not any different then if you were driving around with the windows down. There is an airgap there also. When the window is shut it is sealed against the window protecting it from dirt and the weather. I think they made the part with the intention of sealing the glass when the window is closed. Getting a built in squeegee is an added bonus, but not standard equipment. Every model is going to have different body lines and curves. The glass will not be able to travel the curve of every door and rub against the seal. I live in Seattle and get my fair share of rain, fog and frost it is a bummer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have tried rain x as supplied in Hyundai kit but that doesn’t work well, only clears if you drive above 30mph.
Maybe they should have looked at what other makers do as there product/ designs work, or supplied umbrella and a squeegee with Hyundai logo on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts