Hyundai Forums banner

Kona EV... rather basic questions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  OzKona 
#1 ·
My daughter is wants a Kona EV. The issue is how to charge the vehicle. She would have to use
a standard 120V extension cord until a level 2 system is installed. I have tried to find out some very,
very basic things about charging on line but, oddly, there is not much out there. Does anyone have a
link to a 2020 Kona EV manual that describes how to plug in the car from a standard 120V cable?
This seems some so basic that it should be readily available. The diagrams for the charging door area
do not show a 120V link. Is that some adapter that comes with the car to adapt 120V to the level 2
or DC link?

Thanks...

#2 ·
The Kona comes with a charger plug-in for your car that looks much like the nozzle of gas pump and the other end plugs into the 120v outlet. It is a trickle charge that takes longer to charge than the level 2 charger you mention. The level 2 charger costs about a $1000 and more complicated to install, possibly another $1000) and is not necessary to stay fully charged. The charging of your car has very little impacted on your household electricity and can be scheduled on non-peak electric charge times, ie middle of the night. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
My daughter is wants a Kona EV. The issue is how to charge the vehicle. She would have to use
a standard 120V extension cord until a level 2 system is installed. I have tried to find out some very,
very basic things about charging on line but, oddly, there is not much out there. Does anyone have a
link to a 2020 Kona EV manual that describes how to plug in the car from a standard 120V cable?
This seems some so basic that it should be readily available. The diagrams for the charging door area
do not show a 120V link. Is that some adapter that comes with the car to adapt 120V to the level 2
or DC link?

Thanks...
I use a standard outlet and have not had any issues at all. I drive about 40 miles per day.

#4 ·
As FlowerChild said, your Kona EV will come with a Hyundai charger that plugs into a standard 120V household outlet. If your daughter's daily drive is short then a top-up every night will be sufficient. If she is going to drive a lot of daily miles, then she will need access to a level 2 charger. Some employers, shopping centres, tertiary education places, etc provide them. If that is not happening for her, you will have to install one at home.

If she is going to be doing road trips she will have to access DC fast chargers like Electrify America and others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.