Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2003 sante fe and the check engine light is on
have had it read says nock sensor and somthing about ambient temperature not occuring
is this as in water temp

now i dont want to come across as an idiot but what is it where is it
and would it also cause this lil girl to sound like a diesel at times as in seems like low octane in fuel knocking?
when you put your foot in it goes away and picks rite up
i keep up on reg maint. faithfully
2.5 l
5speed

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (mrhiab @ Oct 17 2010, 09:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364045
have a 2003 sante fe and the check engine light is on
have had it read says nock sensor and somthing about ambient temperature not occuring
is this as in water temp

now i dont want to come across as an idiot but what is it where is it
and would it also cause this lil girl to sound like a diesel at times as in seems like low octane in fuel knocking?
when you put your foot in it goes away and picks rite up
i keep up on reg maint. faithfully
2.5 l
5speed
Ambient temp is the air temperature outside.
I think what you are hearing is bad knocking. This can be very destructive if left unaddressed. It will bend rods, damage pistons, etc. The ambient temp problem could be related as intake air temp has a direct relationship to air/fuel ratio and timing. Put high octane in there for now untill you can get it fixed. It MAY help, as high octane is more resistant to knocking. But it really depends on how bad the problem is. It could just be the air temp sensor or maybe something worse invovling the ignition timing. Maybe the belt slipped or jumped a cog. If the timing belt has never been done it's possible.

You know what, now that I think about it... you could also have alot of engine deposits inside the cyls. Since it's a 2003 it probably has alot of miles on it. If those deposits get hot it can cause dieseling and knock. Dieseling is when the car runs on even after you turn the ignition off. Those deposits get so hot they actually ignite the fuel instead of the spark plugs. You could try a seafoam treatment to clear some of this out. It's cheap and worth a shot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts