Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2009 Santa Fe has a knocking sound coming from the undercarriage of the vehicle. It cannot be heard when parked or when coasting. If I gently depress the gas pedal enough to rev the engine to 1500-2000 rpm when traveling at speeds of 35mph or greater it can be heard. The rate of the knocking / thumping appears to be related to vehicle speed, i.e., the faster we move, the higher the knocking rate.

Yesterday I emptied the vehicle of all contents and was still able to produce the sound upon demand.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scubadude

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is the noise coming from the engine compartment, the rear end, the front end or directly underneath the armrest area? If the car is P (park) and you rev the engine is the noise heard?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If this occurs only under load (which you seem to indicate in your "If I press gently..." comment), that increases the chances that the problem is somewhere in the driveline. Please advise which '09 Santa Fe you own. There's no point, for example, in talking about things like carrier bearings if you own a 2WD version of this vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just took the car for a test run and the source of the sound is difficult to pinpoint. I don't think it's the engine compartment but can't say with confidence whether it's from the front or back of the undercarriage. The sound has never been heard when the car is in park, regardless of whether the engine was idle or being revved.

We own a 2009 Santa Fe 3.3L AWD.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Owning the AWD version adds several additional items to the list. If you can get a passenger to assist with the listening (esp in the back seat) you might narrow it down before you get it up on a rack and start checking things along the driveline.

Just to eliminate some of the obvious stuff -- I take it that there is no difference in the sound if you are turning or going straight ahead?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never heard it when turning, but I think that is speed related more than anything. I don't think I have ever heard it below 35 mph and certainly not below 30. Forty mph or so seems to be the threshold (or at least my threshold) for detecting it. That said, I can't recall hearing a difference on curves, if that constitutes turning.

Will see if I can solicit the services of my neighbor in trying to pinpoint the location.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
While you're underneath, have a look at the 'center bearing' (Hyundai) aka 'carrier bearing' (most others) aka 'steady bearing' (UK term?) aka whatever the heck you might know this as.

·
Registered
52 Posts
had that issue myself a few months ago...turned out to be the drivers side front axle. the inner joint had gone bad and thats what caused the thumping and thudding sound under accel. check the carrier bearing though if the sound is harder to place though, or if you do place the sound to be under the vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our 2009 Santa Fe has a knocking sound coming from the undercarriage of the vehicle. It cannot be heard when parked or when coasting. If I gently depress the gas pedal enough to rev the engine to 1500-2000 rpm when traveling at speeds of 35mph or greater it can be heard. The rate of the knocking / thumping appears to be related to vehicle speed, i.e., the faster we move, the higher the knocking rate.

Yesterday I emptied the vehicle of all contents and was still able to produce the sound upon demand.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scubadude
I had the same noise/problem with my 2009 Santa Fe AWD; first at 43.4K miles, and again at 52K miles.

At the first instance the original dealership near Fort Meade initially advised my rear brake rotors and pads were rusted. They replaced them (a paid repair) and the knocking noise was still there. They looked again then stated it was due to a bad driver's side wheel bearing; which they replaced under warranty. Again the noise was still there. After further inspection they determined the axle assembly was warped. That too was replaced under warranty; they also performed a TSB replacement of a driveshaft washer under warranty. The knocking went away. Parts replaced at that time included:

51570-3J000 HUB ASSY
49500-0W360 JOINT ASSY-CV LH
51755-2B020-FFF WASHER

The knocking noise came up again almost 10K miles later. I took it back to the original dealer. This time they stated the other wheel bearing had gone bad. They replaced it under warranty and the knocking was still there. The technician assured me the axle assemblies and boots were fine; the service advisor recommended I get new front brake rotors and pads (non-warranty) but couldn't guarantee that would correct the problem. Part replaced at that time was:

51570-3J000 HUB ASSY

Dissatisfied with the recommendation of a brake job, I instead chose to take the car to another dealership closer to home. Their mechanic immediately identified the problem as worn driver and passenger axle assemblies (he also stated the boot was torn and leaking and that my front rotors and pads were fine). Both axle assemblies were replaced under warranty. Parts replaced were:

49500-OW360 JOINT ASSY-CV LH
49500-OW620 JOINT ASSY-CV RH

The noise is no longer there. I'm sticking with the second dealership from now on.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can't speak about your problem but a common low speed front end knock is caused by worn stabilizer bar end links. They go from the bar to the strut on each side. The ends are booted ball type joints. I just got rid of the knock by replacing them. One end of one link was freer than the others and that was enough. I used Moog parts from Rock Auto. Better than OEM quality at a much better price. Sometimes it is the sway bar bushings. This involves lifting the engine off it's mounts to get clearance. Glad it wasn't that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
passenger front thump

anybody know where i can locate the passenger front carrier bearing between the cv shaft and the trans ?? its been elusive as bigfoot !!

·
Registered
242 Posts
..The rate of the knocking / thumping appears to be related to vehicle speed..
..It cannot be heard when parked or when coasting..

?? You can not hear it coasting? Even when vehicle is at speed??

I'd put car on a lift or jack stands where you can run the drive-train while listening to see where the noise seems loudest without being bothered by actual traffic and wind noise. Bearings often make more of a growling/rumbling sound rather than clicking without weight of vehicle pressing down. If bearing is badly disintegrated, it is hard to say what it could sound like. But at least in the air you have a easier chance of identifying source. Even braking noise could be spotted.

Point to determine is whether it is related to axle speed or to engine speed and it sure seems to be in the drive train. And there is possibility of a transmission/differential gear or bearing problem. But CV and/or wheel bearing seem more probable cause(s).

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
hm seems like it could be a suspension issue, another thought is to check if the metal dust shields behind the front brakes have something stuck in between that and the rotor or even if they are just rubbing. not likely a thump i admit, but worth a quick look.

if this were a CV joint issue, i would suspect the inner joint instead of the outer simply because turning doesn't seem to have an effect.

lots of other great ideas here already mentioned!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi.
I´ve started to hear a knocking noise in my 08 Santa Fe AWD.
Appears mainly under load (cargo in rear area, or using the third row with children).
It´s not the typical bearing noise which tends to be constant; this is like a knock knock.

By checking the rear suspension diagram, I believe that noise is generated by any of the rubber arms joints; but how to determine which one could be?
Any advise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi did you find out the problem, because your problem sounds the same as mine (a tap/whoosh or mild thud which increases with speed around 2000 rpm and not when in neutral), sounds like it comes from the centre or front passenger side.
i would be very grateful for the heads up, thanks in advance.

lewis

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have that issue with my 2009 hyundai sante fe 4WD . . . I've noticed that knocking noise for a while now but the dealership keeps dismissing it. I just noticed it getting louder under my pedals - definitely in the front of my vehicle.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been experiencing the same knocking noise (front under carriage, speed related, only when I (even lightly) press the gas. It's a 2009 front-wheel drive (i.e. 2wd) Hyundai Santa Fe. Just today had the left CV axle replaced...noise is still there ....aaarrggghh. Tech said he took it for a drive around a route we previously established where and didn't hear it. But I heard it pretty quickly. It seems when we're both in the car, it virtually disappears (aslo happened when I tried to show my wife). Anyway, thanks very much for this thread and particularly Scratch33 - I'm going to prinjt this out and show the tech (I do trust the garage - have been going there a long time and they historically have done well by me).

Casey H, Oregon

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Has anyone with these knocking sounds happening under conditions when the engine is powering the car, and not when coasting, looked at motor mounts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts