1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
- 2015 SE 2.4
-88500 kms ,
-No Intake cleaning treatment yet.

I have had problem of oil consumption , so recently got oil changed and going back to dealership for every 1000 kms for oil loss measurement so they can claim warranty from Hyundai and get something done on motor ,

meanwhile when I accelerate my vehicle in normal daily driving condition or up hill or driving up ramp it keep making fast ticking noise until I get easy on gas pedal. The noise is not too loud but constant and got me worried. Oil level is good ( 5W30). Noise is easy to find when I drive with passenger on ( IMO extra load may be).

Has something similar happened to anybody ?
Any idea what it could be ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi Bob.

Thats pinging , my dealer told me to do a "fuel induction cleaning " service that cost $150, I declined.

Then They said use higher octane instead of recommended 87. I tried few tanks of 89, didn't work and can't afford anything else higher octane.

It's possible the CRC cleaning you've been thinking about will help too.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
possibly rod knocking?

sbr mentioned that he saw some rod bearing failures in LF hybrid models around 30,000 miles

Possibly.

It doesn’t make much noise when I drive to work in morning ( cooler engine , cooler oil temp I guess ) but more noisy in afternoons or after engine warm up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i dont' think it's knocking. Knocking is more of a low pitch sound. Bob, your pinging, can it be described like 'sizzling' or like shaking small pebbles inside a tin can? If yes, then it' mostly pinging.

Knocking is more of a banging "cluck cluck cluck' type of sound which you hear even when idling. Hence, don't get mixed up between knock and ping when describing sound to the dealer, which I'm sure will tell you is 'normal'...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont' think it's knocking. Knocking is more of a low pitch sound. Bob, your pinging, can it be described like 'sizzling' or like shaking small pebbles inside a tin can? If yes, then it' mostly pinging.

Knocking is more of a banging "cluck cluck cluck' type of sound which you hear even when idling. Hence, don't get mixed up between knock and ping when describing sound to the dealer, which I'm sure will tell you is 'normal'...

Yes it’s similar sound like pebbles in tin can. That’s a good description. It Only does when accelerating above 50kmh and it quit when I step off from gas pedal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes it’s similar sound like pebbles in tin can. That’s a good description. It Only does when accelerating above 50kmh and it quit when I step off from gas pedal.

It is not a mechanical condition. It is not knocking. It is detonation that occurs when the engine is under load and where the fuel octane rating is unsuitably low.

The compression ratio for the 2.4l is at least 10.3:1. That's why the car runs so well for just 189HP. It is a high performance engine.

Now, 89 octane is not recommended by Hyundai. It is listed and you can use it. I have run my car on 87, but then I have to drive differently to prevent detonation.

Easier and better to use 91 or 93.

·
Registered
144 Posts
"it is a high performance engine"

First time I ever heard that.........really.........

ps I have a 2.4 2015 GL and it runs great on the recommended tier 1
87 oct as it should.......higher may mask the problem but not solve it...may sound drastic but if it can not be fixed before your warranty is up...dump it before it ends up costing you $$......

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I tried premium octane 91 yesterday.
I feel more power And I didn’t hear any significant amount of pinging/knocking sound yet. I will give it couple more days to see if it work fine with premium fuel.

I always been using regular octane 87 gas and evrything was working just fine. This pinging issue recently started so is there any fix or repair for this issue. ? Is it warranties issue ?

Or just use premium gas on a economical budget sedan, don’t think I can do that for long time ; oct 91 is 20cent higher than oct 87 price and that will be at least easily cost me extra few hundred $ for a year.

Why can’t it run fine on a normal gas , it’s just a sonata. Disappointed face.

Would a CRC intake treatment might help?
Octane booster additives ?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Maybe try the Seafoam spray that goes in through the intake. Anything you put in the gas tank will not work on a gdi engine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update on my vehicle issues :

Knocking sound was persistent, I used premium gas for a while and it reduced the knocking sound but did not eliminate it completely, meanwhile I noticed my vehicle had oil consumption issue. So went in 3 times ( after every 1000 kms ),after getting oil change so dealership can measure the oil loss. 3rd time they finally did compression test and turned out cylinder #1 had 40 psi lower. So sent in all oil receipts for warranty and got approved for engine block replacement and just taking vehicle out from dealership which they kept for 2 days and provided me a loaner 2018 Elantra, nice car, great on gas, with some improvement on Center controls (except stereo on/off volume is in too left, it totally hid under steering IMO ) but enjoyed the ride.

Hopefully that will solve my
Coolant disappearing/
Engine oil consumption/
Knocking pinging sound &
possible better fuel economy

Thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I have a 13, but had the same problems, at 40k car started lightly knocking when frost started. Then when away after a few miles. Then came the pinging, cleaners didn’t help. I put 93 in and it went away. Then I was using the manual shift one day and held rpm at 3k. Consistent faint knock in any gear. Drove it to dealer, paid them 100 bucks to pull the pan off to see if there’s any metal in the pan. I got a call an hour later to come get a 18 rental till my new long block comes in. Also got refunded my 100 bucks. The engine really didn’t run too bad but the new one is really quiet now

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@kmkcjr2014

Oh nice. My work order says engine block doesn’t say short block or long and I don’t know much difference in those either. But service advisor told me it’s short block (lower part of engine )

Did they tell you to drive specifically for break in ?

My service did not say anything about it but just said come back sooner than normal oil change interval because it’s new engine component.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nothing special, but they put the oil sticker in the window and it said 0w20. Also was an inch over filled in the stick. I changed it at 1000 miles no problem

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also dealer said they are all long blocks now, because the metal in oil might have affected the valves. So Hyundai now just does long blocks. It’s true though engine looks new all the way up to top plastic cover

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
After getting short block changed. My vehicle Fuel economy has decreased , is it common ?

·
Registered
689 Posts
How different is it according to the trip computer?

Give it a few tanks for "break in" before panic

Maybe because it was burning oil instead of fuel before the replacement ? So Now it's.only properly burning fuel only lol

After getting short block changed. My vehicle Fuel economy has decreased , is it common ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts