Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been hearing the strangest noise under my car for awhile now and I want to know if anyone else has heard this. It sounds for all the world like a drum stick is hanging by a rope, swinging back and forth, and hitting against something solid. It makes 3-4 loud taps and the vibration can be felt through the gas pedal/floorboard. It ONLY happens when pulling out while turning left or right and going over a rough entrance like a rain gutter that bounces the car pretty decent. So whatever it is doesn't start swinging under normal driving. For the life of me I can't imagine what could be that heavy to make noise like that and not be causing any other problems.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Sway bar bushings/endlinks would be my guess. Seems common on those cars. Not the first thread about knocking.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Dec 8 2010, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377869
Sway bar bushings/endlinks would be my guess. Seems common on those cars. Not the first thread about knocking.
Wouldn't a loose sway bar make more of a popping/clunk sound, and make it anytime the car turns or hits a bump? It literally sounds like a pendulum is swinging and running into something metal, and it only happens if the car is bounced decent upon making an exit. The heavy side to side bouncing of the car initiates the knocking, but the knocking continues as the car drives straight on a smooth surface. It starts with 2 loud knocks and than ends with 2 softer knocks as if whatever was siwinging has lost its inertia. High-g turns nor bumps cause it. The noise appears to come from the passenger side of the car, directly in front of the center console or glovebox. I'm gonna try to check the stabilizer bar but are there any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (carfreak09 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378174
Wouldn't a loose sway bar make more of a popping/clunk sound, and make it anytime the car turns or hits a bump? It literally sounds like a pendulum is swinging and running into something metal, and it only happens if the car is bounced decent upon making an exit. The heavy side to side bouncing of the car initiates the knocking, but the knocking continues as the car drives straight on a smooth surface. It starts with 2 loud knocks and than ends with 2 softer knocks as if whatever was siwinging has lost its inertia. High-g turns nor bumps cause it. The noise appears to come from the passenger side of the car, directly in front of the center console or glovebox. I'm gonna try to check the stabilizer bar but are there any other ideas?
I see. It could be that the exhaust is loose or a heatshield. What happens if you slalom the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts