Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 elantra ltd.

Today noticed a knockng sound louder than the usual engine knock. It only occurs when we put car in reverse. Checked it with the brakes applied so as to eliminate it coming from any source due to the car moving ie axle/drive connections etc. Putting it in D with brakes on, not moving and it goes away. Put it back in reverse and it recurs.

Tried it even after the engine had warmed to temp guage showing half way. Let car sit for a bit (so engine was still warm) and it repeated. Drove for a few minutes and it would not occur. Shut car off for 1 hour, on restart the engine temp was showing it was still warm and the knock would recur in R.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Take video with a cell phone and post it here. Then, schedule an appointment with your service department and put your warranty to work! First time I've heard of this one myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had a look in the garage and checked under the hood. The noise didn't occur when I was looking but I did notice the engine moves physically forward and back at the engine mount when you put the vehicle in Drive or Reverse. Years ago I had a Prius where the exhaust pipes would contact the frame and vibrate/knock only when in reverse after they replaced the entire exhaust. That turned out to be that the replacement's specs were different that the original one and the specs had changed within the model year so the replacement wasn't clearing the frame and would vibrate/rattle against the frame only when the engine basically twisted in the mounts when in reverse.

I like to duplicate an issue before taking it to the dealer otherwise I get the standard, if we can't duplicate it we can't diagnose or fix it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Not sure if this applies, but others had work done for exhaust rattle. It is a recall covered under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mounts appear to be intact but you definitely see the whole engine rotate at the mounts, i'm guessing it moves almost an inch when shifting between D and R.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Service couldn't duplicate the noise, (it was warmer now), but they did the tsb for the heat shield so at least if it recurs we can eliminate that as the cause. I looked under and saw where the clamps are on the heat shield and it is really far back from where we 'thought' the noise was originating. Guess maybe we should leave the car outside to see if the problem recurs with this really cold weather.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Mine does sometimes make some ticking noise in reverse, but all vehicles sound different in reverse. I am not worried, still have 59K left on power train warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, sound is back. Again sounds like from the engine compartment, only in reverse, and not all the time. So I guess I can eliminate that it was the heat shield. This time it would only do it with the car moving in reverse. Apply the brake and it stopped. Previous occurrences it would do it even with the brakes applied. Guess we'll just document it again and wait for something to break or fail since it is one of those, we can't duplicate it things when we take it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts