Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has this problem or at least can tell me what it might be.

Have an 2007 Sonata GLS, with just over 200,000 Kms on it. Only yesterday I noticed when going over a sharp/hard bump, I hear this knock or clunk sound on the right rear wheel only. Doesn't make this noise when going over small bumps. From inside the car when driving the sound seems to be coming from around the right rear door area, so leads me to believe it's something with the rear right suspension maybe. Noise only happens when said tire hits a sharp bump, like a pot hole.

·
Registered
81 Posts
good place to start might be to check your rear sway bar links and bushings. See if anything is loose there first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car now has over 200,000KMS on it now. Should I be replacing certain suspension components? Which ones should I do and are they easy to do?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would replace the front and rear shocks as they are most likely worn at that mileage. I would get a trusted mechanic to test drive it for you and test for how the suspension reacts to bumps and rough pavement.

also, i would check the sway bar bushings and end links - i wouldn't be surprised they are the culprit for the knock / clunk noise especially at that mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen videos about doing the sway bar bushings and they seem easy. What about the end links, are they hard to do. To me the shocks seem fine they don't bounce all over the place, an in my area there area lot of bumps and pot holes right now. They feel the same as when I bought the car in 2011. But if I had to replace the shocks, should I replace the springs too, and how hard is it to do the shocks? Do I need and special tools for it?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the rear sway bar links are not difficult to replace, the problem is they do seize quite easily and it's a pain to remove them sometimes. you might want to use some anti-seize grease to penetrate the end link connection points before trying to take them off.

Overall, I find the replacement of shocks and struts quite straightforward on this car. It's quite easy to replace the rear shocks, since the springs are not part of the shock assembly. The front struts are not bad as well, you will need a spring compressor as the spring is installed with the strut assembly. At that mileage, likely a couple of bolts may seize on you, so that complicates the install effort.

Springs do fatigue over time. I guess it depends on how you feel about the car when cornering and such - is there more body roll than usual? I have replaced only the shocks and struts without any issues (but mind you, I only have 105,000 km on my car).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car does roll a little on turns, but since this is my first sonata or Hyundai of any kind, I have nothing to compare it to. I'm guessing your prob right though, with over 200K on the car prob should replace the Shocks/Struts either way. I'm guessing it has never been changed in the life of the car. I'm not too worried about seized hardware, I have a 26 gal compressor and air impact tools, if I can get them in those places. I would just need the spring compressor but they are anywhere from 75-100 bucks plus taxes.

As for the other stuff like end links and sway bar bushings, should I change the hardware or just use the old stuff?

Btw, if I change out the shock and struts would I need a wheel alignment afterwards?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do these items come in pairs, like for instance, KYB GR-2 front struts at Rock Auto $63.17. Are these each or pair. Same goes for the shocks/strut mounts, end links, if I replace these items. Can't seem to find anywhere in Rock Autos description if they come in pairs or not, is it just assumed that they come in pairs?

·
Registered
143 Posts
That would be each most likely...

Struts and mounts should be left or right. End links might also be left or right depending on application.

Can also call your local parts store and ask about them - then order from Rock Auto if you choose to.

Do these items come in pairs, like for instance, KYB GR-2 front struts at Rock Auto $63.17. Are these each or pair. Same goes for the shocks/strut mounts, end links, if I replace these items. Can't seem to find anywhere in Rock Autos description if they come in pairs or not, is it just assumed that they come in pairs?

·
Registered
81 Posts
in the end, it's really up to you on how much you want to spend. IMO, if the endlinks / bushings ain't broke - i.e. not making any clunking / knocking noise and they are still very tight - I wouldn't fix it as there's no such thing as preventive maintenance for those items. In your case though, I would inspect and potentially replace the rear endlinks / bushings, since you are experience noise.

as for ordering from RockAuto, yes, it's only for 1 unit as per what the other poster said. I bought Monroe OESpectrums from RockAuto and to date (about 2000km so far), they have performed very well. KYBs tend to be stiffer while the OESpectrums, once they are broken-in, are a little bit more soft (still stiffer than OEM is what I find). Anyways, if you are looking for OEM replacements, both will be excellent replacements (I used KYB GR-2 / Excel-G in another car and really liked them as well)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts