Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Sonata gls with the 2.4l engine. Car runs fine, knock sensor update has been done several months ago. I added my daughter to my car wash account and every time after a car wash (it does wash the underside) I get the check engine code for the knock sensor, get home reset it and it's fine until the next car wash. The engine plastic covers under the engine is intact as well. Never had an issue with rain or degrea sing and rinsing the engine off.

I'm guessing somehow the wiring is getting wet. I bought a new knock sensor to replace and figured some dielectric grease would solve the problem. Trouble is I can't find the knock sensor on the engine and YouTube was no help unless it was the smaller accent again.

Any advice and or location of this **** thing?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have never seen a knock sensor affected by water but I have seen O2 sensors get filled with water and log codes. Post up the code number. Can't help with location but most cars it's around the bore area. Perhaps someone else knows the exact location.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So the first update for the 953 campaign is just software. If knock issues come up, they will replace the harness with proper protection from other interference. If the harness hasn't been replaced, then take it in with the CEL on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Code is P0325-knock sensor.
I thought about calling the dealer and asking what was done to it. I'm guessing software only.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Is the undercarriage cover on?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
2011 Sonata gls with the 2.4l engine. Car runs fine, knock sensor update has been done several months ago. I added my daughter to my car wash account and every time after a car wash (it does wash the underside) I get the check engine code for the knock sensor, get home reset it and it's fine until the next car wash. The engine plastic covers under the engine is intact as well. Never had an issue with rain or degrea sing and rinsing the engine off.

I'm guessing somehow the wiring is getting wet. I bought a new knock sensor to replace and figured some dielectric grease would solve the problem. Trouble is I can't find the knock sensor on the engine and YouTube was no help unless it was the smaller accent again.

Any advice and or location of this **** thing?
It's on the front of the engine, many months back posted a pic of the location - I believe it is drilled into the block, just below the cylinder head. So I would wager it's more likely to be the harness - which has had interference issues on some cars and requires a new harness, knock sensor itself is usually very reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 the cover was on when it started. I took it off looking for the sensor which I believe is under the intake that's why I can't understand how it's getting wet. My daughter went thru the car wash with the cover off and drove to the dealer and of course the code didn't occur. Dealer ran it thru their wash several times, even sprayed water underneath and nothing. Next time it happens they said to drive it in limp mode to the dealer so they can document the code and then bring it back for service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're not alone with this issue. My 2012 Sonata was a great car until the 953 update. After throwing the code on the way home from the dealer, I took it back and they replaced the sensor and harness. I now get the code every time I wash the car (and only after the car wash). I've found that it usually takes 1-3 days for whatever is wet to dry enough to return to a well behaved car gain. This has happend 3 times in the past 6 months. My dealer really isn't trying very hard to identify the issue and is only going by the Hyundai book as if the sensor is really identifying an issue, when the car wash seems to be the trigger. Please update if you ever find out what is getting wet and causing the code to throw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
drew999999
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing