Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone;

During the summer, I checked my check engine light using a code reader I bough from amazon and pulled 3 codes. Note: my check engine light has always been on since I bought the car, Id fix it but it's minor and not willing to sink the cash to get it fixed. The codes where P0447 (Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open , present when I bough the car), P0455 (Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted, also present when I bough the car), and P0326 (Knock sensor 1, this ones new). P0326 only started showing up in the summertime, but its gone now that its gotten colder.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Do I need to get the knock sensor replaced? has this happened to anyone else?

I found this TSB from Hyundai a few weeks ago, could it be this?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
According to that service bulletin you'll need to head in to a dealership. They'll check it out and if it applies, they'll flash your PCM. Only a dealer can do this.

On the other hand, the other codes show problems with the EVAP system. It could be that you're running lean because of unmetered air leaking past the EVAP system and getting into the engine. A lean condition can cause ping or knock which in turn can cause the knock sensor to report it and cause the code to be set.

I would drop by a dealership and have them do a diagnosis and supply an estimate for repair. If it's just a matter of replacing certain parts and not re-flashing the PCM, then decline the repair... Head down to a wrecker, pick up the parts dirt cheap and install them yourself. Yes, you'll have to pay for the diagnosis, but getting the parts at a low cost and avoiding further labor costs can save you hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to that service bulletin you'll need to head in to a dealership. They'll check it out and if it applies, they'll flash your PCM. Only a dealer can do this.

On the other hand, the other codes show problems with the EVAP system. It could be that you're running lean because of unmetered air leaking past the EVAP system and getting into the engine. A lean condition can cause ping or knock which in turn can cause the knock sensor to report it and cause the code to be set.

I would drop by a dealership and have them do a diagnosis and supply an estimate for repair. If it's just a matter of replacing certain parts and not re-flashing the PCM, then decline the repair... Head down to a wrecker, pick up the parts dirt cheap and install them yourself. Yes, you'll have to pay for the diagnosis, but getting the parts at a low cost and avoiding further labor costs can save you hundreds of dollars.
Thats actually really solid advice thank you.
As you can likely tell i'm not a big fan of taking my car into Hyundai, and would much rather do any repairs myself. Sucks that I gotta give them the 120 CAD to diagnose it but better than 1000 CAD I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts