Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my keyless entry fobs, with new batteries, will not open the doors on my 2003 Sonata unless I'm within 3 meters of the car. Factory specs say it should be 10 meters or more.

What are other people experiencing? Has anybody found an aftermatrket transmitter with more power? I envy my friends with non-Hyundai cars who use their keyless transmitter from 40 meters away to "beep" the car horn in order to find it in a crowded parking lot.

Are other owners getting greater distance from the keyless entry system?

GK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by gkeene@Aug 9 2004, 08:13 PM
Both of my keyless entry fobs, with new batteries, will not open the doors on my 2003 Sonata unless I'm within 3 meters of the car.  Factory specs say it should be 10 meters or more. 

What are other people experiencing?  Has anybody found an aftermatrket transmitter with more power?  I envy my friends with non-Hyundai cars who use their keyless transmitter from 40 meters away to "beep" the car horn in order to find it in a crowded parking lot.

Are other owners getting greater distance from the keyless entry system?

GK
[snapback]724[/snapback]​

I've had a 2004 for 3 months now and the keyless transmitter works fine. I haven't actually measured its range I'm sure its at least 30 meters. Won't your dealer work with you on this?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Has your car always done this?

It is possible that you transmitter aerial is tucked up in your dash the wrong way.

Possibly in a spot that is difficult for it to pick up a signal. This has been known to be the case on some of the cars that I have worked on previously.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
ALL REMEMBER if the door is not opened within 30sec of the unlock signal, then the car will lock itself again. Therefore, it does not make sense to unlock from far away, it locked up again by the time you reach the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem with a 2002 Sonata. Had the dealer check it out, they say it seems fine to them. All they ever do is suggest replacement of the battery's. Sometimes I can't the system to respond while standing next to the car. I've actually gotten into the habit of not enabeling the alarm because I may not be able to start the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2004 Sonata GLS has remarkable range for the transmitter. I laugh to myself when I check from what I consider a ridiculous distance(50 meters+) and I still see the lights acknowledge the request. Seriously, if it is not responding well at even a short range, I would confirm that the antenna is connected to the receiver. Improper routing will make the difference between a range of 20 meters or lets lay 40 meters, but not be responsible for poor performance when standing next to the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts