Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Elantra GLS with the standard Keyless Entry and last week the lock door function seems to have changed. Pushing the lock door button a second time used to have the lights blink and horn sound once. Something changed and now no lights or horn it just locks the doors again.

What did I do and how do I change it back to original programming. I could not seem to locate how to do this in the manual?

thanks

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This usually indicates that something is not closed properly, like the hood or the trunk... You may want to look at the hood switch.
The light blinks indicate that everything is locked and the alarm will be armed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a 2013 Elantra GLS with the standard Keyless Entry and last week the lock door function seems to have changed. Pushing the lock door button a second time used to have the lights blink and horn sound once. Something changed and now no lights or horn it just locks the doors again.

What did I do and how do I change it back to original programming. I could not seem to locate how to do this in the manual?

thanks
Turbo is right, check that hood switch pad.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have an alarm just the locking mechanism. Hood appears latched and solid and no change.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't have an alarm just the locking mechanism. Hood appears latched and solid and no change.
The vehicle thinks something is open, which is why it doesn't give you the confirmation flash/beep. Does it flash when you unlock? Open the hood and press down on the hood switch with your finger and try to lock with your key FOB. See what happens.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, the hood switch. If I put pressure on the hood the keyless entry works fine. Switch works fine but the hood will not activate it no matter how I adjust the rubber hood mount that activates it. So, off to the dealer one of these days.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Turbo is correct that you do have an alarm many people think it's just the keyless they have & no alarm. If you leave your driver window down then activate the system with 2 pushes on the lock button, go over and open the door (can't quite recall if you just pull the handle or unlock it by hand inside) try both if just pulling handle from inside doesn't work but your horn will start beeping to let you know someone tried to enter the car.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did not know that. Manual somewhat misleading on the alarm part, to me implies it is not standard equipment.

Again thanks for the problem solving on the switch.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, visited the dealer and it appears that the rubber pad was actually missing on the hood which means that it must have come loose and been lost while the hood was open. I thought it would be covered under the one year service adjustment warranty but dealer refused to cover it since it was missing. If it was there and not working the implication given was that they would cover it and whoever worked on the car must have dislodged it.. I am the only one who has been under the hood, possible, but if so not put on very well.

Also, the rep stated "It appears that you are having your service done elsewhere" again implying that they may have covered it. Only a $2 part so I was not going to argue but really miffed at the comment he made. I wrote the owner a long letter and said he needs to read the Magnuson-Moss Act as a rep should never ever say or imply that maintenance has to be performed at a dealer in order to get warranty work done. Only 8,200 miles on the car and I do my own oil changes.

So far looks like the Hyundai warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on. Like Insurance companies, deny first and see what happens!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, visited the dealer and it appears that the rubber pad was actually missing on the hood which means that it must have come loose and been lost while the hood was open. I thought it would be covered under the one year service adjustment warranty but dealer refused to cover it since it was missing. If it was there and not working the implication given was that they would cover it and whoever worked on the car must have dislodged it.. I am the only one who has been under the hood, possible, but if so not put on very well.

Also, the rep stated "It appears that you are having your service done elsewhere" again implying that they may have covered it. Only a $2 part so I was not going to argue but really miffed at the comment he made. I wrote the owner a long letter and said he needs to read the Magnuson-Moss Act as a rep should never ever say or imply that maintenance has to be performed at a dealer in order to get warranty work done. Only 8,200 miles on the car and I do my own oil changes.

So far looks like the Hyundai warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on. Like Insurance companies, deny first and see what happens!

My 2013 Elantra Limited is the same. Lights blink and sound is made when I unlock, but when I lock it , no lights or sound(besides hearing the actual locks locking inside the car). I was told by a friend it was most likely just programming in my car/keyfob.. now I am wondering if its something like your problem. Its been this way since I bought it. Also, sorry to hear about your warranty and dealer issues. IMO , don't ever back down , even if you KNOW its not really a warranty issue. Just climb your way up the ladder of supervisors until you get it done. Ideally you would never have to do this though!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
but dealer refused to cover it since it was missing. If it was there and not working the implication given was that they would cover it and whoever worked on the car must have dislodged it.. I am the only one who has been under the hood, possible, but if so not put on very well.
So by their logic if the speedometer was never installed from the factory (missing), that is not covered by warranty, but if it is broken and hanging out of the dash, it is - NICE!!!

Also, the rep stated "It appears that you are having your service done elsewhere"
Depending on tone, that could mean one of three things:

• I know CarFax tends to show anything anyone does to your car - could be the dealer has access to something else and knows what work has been done where.
  • Could be a friendly sales ploy - "We notice that you aren't having us service your car and we would really like to earn your business" would have been a better way to word it.
  • Most likely, as you say, was an underhanded comment - "We notice that we aren't doing maintenance on your car except warranty claims, that we barely break even on, so we really don't care if you are happy or if you come back, in fact we'd prefer you didn't". Agree, that should be reported, but not much you can do about it.

I don't think it's just Hyundai - Car companies used to pay the dealers a LOT for warranty claims - when my 2002 was still under warranty, often the dealer would find things that I hadn't reported that were broken and fix them under warranty. These days, I think the car companies pay the dealer the "comeback" rate (usually 1/2-labor rate - same as if they mess up a re-pair and have to re-do it), so it is in both the dealer and the manufacturers interest to deny claims when possible.

·
Registered
622 Posts

The warranty is great, it's the people you're dealing with at the dealership that are not. Is it a manufacture defect that the pad is no longer in place? Prob not, BUT, the dealership could have possible won you over by informing you that, and installing it free of charge. $2 is noting to a dealership. If it "falls" out again, then there's possibly an issue with the hole size where it resides.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
It sounds to me like that dealer's service department does not give a flying hoot about doing the right thing. If I were in your shoes, I'd go elsewhere from now on.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
It's been a long time since my car's been under warranty, but I can't say it's unique to Hyundai either.

I'm pretty sure I remember the same Ford dealer that replaced a stretched hood release cable that still worked for $150 (didn't cost me anything - that's what they showed for parts and labor) told me that a plastic clip that holds the hood strut for $2 wasn't covered - go figure ...

·
Registered
306 Posts
My last car a nissan had the radio and 4 speakers replaced by the dealer NO CHARGE 2 years after warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sounds to me like that dealer's service department does not give a flying hoot about doing the right thing. If I were in your shoes, I'd go elsewhere from now on.
received a call from the dealer, seems my survey to Hyundai caused a stir and they have to respond. I said I did not care about the $3 part although I did believe it should have been covered under the 1 year adjustment warranty but I said that the service advisor's statements implied to me that because my oil changes were done elsewhere (his comment) and someone else has been under the hood (the tech's comment) the part was not covered. My main concern to him was that should I bring it in for a warranty repair in the future I will hear that they won't cover it due to my own maintenance. Of course he assured me they would not but that I should keep a log and the receipts for the filters and oil.

I do think I am going to another dealer though, burned my bridges at this one. Very surprised to see that Hyundai got the word back to them so quickly and he said they had to respond.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I do think I am going to another dealer though, burned my bridges at this one. Very surprised to see that Hyundai got the word back to them so quickly and he said they had to respond.
I don't blame you at all and count myself lucky that I've got a good dealer with good people and a good manager. It's interesting but good to see that Hyundai got on them so quickly about that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts