Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to fix this issue for my daughter's car in a good and inexpensive way. The issue of the ignition key not turning happened before but I had resolved it with some WD40 and trying the key several times. This did not work this time.
So now I also tried rocking the key, pulling it 1 or 2 mm, spraying air in the cylinder, using moooore wd40, turning the steering wheel to see if that was locked ...and got it to lock (duh!)...

So I'm to the point of changing the ignition cylinder. I have some questions and I am thinking of the next steps to resolve the issue. I would appreciate any piece of advise that anyone may have to help me resolve the issue...

I'm at the point of pushing in the pin to remove the cylinder, but it will not come out.
Question 1: is it becasue i cannot turn the key in ACC position?
Question 2: The fact that the steering wheel is locked now, will it prevent the ignition cylinder to come out?
Question 3: the fact that the steering wheel is now locked, will my plan below still work or will I have to plan extra steps or think of a new plan?

Plan: I was thinking and please tell me if that plan will do or not.
1-Drill the push pin to be able to take out the cylinder (or will it still not come out because the key is not in CC position?)
2-order/buy a new cylinder which will have its own push pin (is that right?)
3-take the cylinder to a lockmith to code it to the key
4-put back in this new cylinder and voilà!

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I can tell you it needs to be in the acc position to remove the barrel.I think I'd be talking to a locksmith first before you go and start drilling . You could be digging your hole deeper.

New unit likely looks a bit like this

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,554 Posts
If you disconnect the battery will it then allow you to turn and pull key out
If yes then it is the gear selector shift lock
If not the probably key cylinder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Rather than risking it because I'm really not an expert in car mechanics, we decided to have it towed to the dealer and have them fix it... if I get good and relevant info from them, I will come and post it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts