Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I’m having issues with my Sonata key occasionally getting stuck in the ignition, not being able to fully turn counter-clock to the "lock" release point where it will come out. It seems a mechanical thing. I have to play with it (push and pull a little) for it to be able to make the extra turn to release and come out. I’m concerned it will get worse, to a point it won’t come out at all.

I called my mechanic who suggested lubrication, which I tried, but it doesn’t seem to help, it seems like an alignment issue inside the ignition mechanism.

I checked couple YouTube clips, but not much help there.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
Lock cylinder maybe? We may do better if we knew the MY.

Best practices for requesting help:

Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
vin number can be very helpful.
Did you buy the vehicle new, if not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many miles on it now?
Describe the problem the best you can.
Tell us what has been tried, if anything.
If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you can scan or take picture of the bill and attach it to the post.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
It is possible when the gear selector is put into park that it doesn't register correctly
When it has this issue, try moving gear selector out of and back into park
Then try turning the key to pull it out

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
It is possible when the gear selector is put into park that it doesn't register correctly
When it has this issue, try moving gear selector out of and back into park
Then try turning the key to pull it out
This is a good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't add more personalized info (NF I-4), BUT this is actually a problem that can happen with ANY car that still uses an ignition key...

BUT I also THINK I solved it, by adding more (Silicon) lubrication straight into the key hole (using it's thin "straw"), and (just in case) replacing my key with the spare key I've been keeping for years. Playing in-out and turning it back and forth (w/o starting up the engine) with that key seems to make the inside mechanism move smoother now.

Thanks for your input, guys.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
Sorry I didn't add more personalized info (NF I-4), BUT this is actually a problem that can happen with ANY car that still uses an ignition key...

BUT I also THINK I solved it, by adding more (Silicon) lubrication straight into the key hole (using it's thin "straw"), and (just in case) replacing my key with the spare key I've been keeping for years. Playing in-out and turning it back and forth (w/o starting up the engine) with that key seems to make the inside mechanism move smoother now.

Thanks for your input, guys.
Sounds like it's time for a new lock cylinder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's pretty easy to remove the cylinder yourself. I had this issue and I managed to get the key out eventually. Took it to a locksmith and he cleaned it up, removed burrs and it's worked great ever since. $20 fix. There are instructions around on the forum how to get the cylinder out.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
It is only a suggestion. It doesn't mean that is the real answer.
Believe the OP said he used more lubricant and spare key to fix his situation.
His key may just be worn??
You hate accolades as well as criticism. Well, OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts