Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice would be nice...

Bought a used Hyundai where the keyless fob key blade didn't match the driver's side door lock cylinder (accident replacement). I ordered a key cylinder (which came with 2 spare keys) from a dealership using my VIN number. Unfortunately the keys didn't match. I installed the lock cylinder anyways, just to have an emergency way to get into the car if the battery died.

Does anyone know if I can cut out the blade out of the spare key and replace the keyless fob key? There is a small screw (not sure what size) holding the blade in the keyless fob (see pic). Before destroying the new spare key, seeking advice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,272 Posts
Does anyone know if I can cut out the blade out of the spare key and replace the keyless fob key?
Not really. They are two different types of blade.

chillin21 said:
There is a small screw (not sure what size) holding the blade in the keyless fob (see pic).
It's not a screw it's a little roll pin. You just tap it out with a hammer and a pin pinch.

chillin21 said:
Before destroying the new spare key, seeking advice :)
I'd advise you to just buy a replacement blade for the remote key, cut against your VIN. Since the cylinder was ordered against your VIN too, the new blade should match.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't destory it. The shape of key blades may be different, which are welded inside. You may have to cut off with saw. You can go to Sears or any locksmith to get a proper key blade

and there's usually a chip inside the key. You can't run the car without this small black chip. Ask locksmith if they are chipped key first

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts