Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

13month IX35 owner.

New issue started yesterday, the key fob randomly stopped working unless we manually opened the car and unlocked by the switch from the inside (I also changed the battery and tried the spare but same issue). Then today it went one further. The key fob will simply not work full stop, and even if i manually open all doors by the switch the boot will not open. The only way I can get in the boot is if I put the keys in the ignition and turn it to position 2. Then I can open it fine. But as soon as I take the keys out and close the boot, that's it, it is locked.

Any ideas? Have I hit a setting?

Thanks, Nathan

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did Lucas make key fobs for Hyundai? :wink:
Friend I feel your pain.
Until someone like supertech steps up to help, here is my general take.
1. Don't trust any batteries, even new one. They could be so weak or failure prone I'd start with a new name brand, not dollarstore "superdeal". Do a complete system reset. If it were me, I'd even reset the car battery by disconnect and power up. This may be dicey, ymmv.
2. Most electronics failures occur early in service. If yours is new...warranty.
3. If not 2. then most e-devices fail due to excessive heat and humidity. Which create perfect environment for corrosion. That is why sometime tapping fixes things like that. Relative motion causes metal to make contact again...for a while then ohms builds up again. Take fob apart very carefully and clean everything with electrical cleaner. Use iso alcohol if in a jam. no soap/bleach/windex. Take pictures of anything that look confusing to reassemble. A pic is worth a thousand words. You should ground yourself like touch the metal sink to discharge esd.
4. Did any "mishap" occur to your fob? Toddlers, dogs, battery leaked, swimming pools...?
If yes, (do 3. hope for best). Happened to my Bberry, unreliable ever after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not think its in warranty, its a 2011 model. We did go for a long drive to Bristol zoo yesterday in the nice hot weather we had. Maybe the eat has something to do with it? No nothing has happened with the fob, but as I said the spare didn't work either. And i regularly use both. I will try and clean the fob. Any idea about the boot?

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the spare does the same, it might be the car's antenna (the one that picks up the signal from the key) acting up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts