Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anybody who can shine a light on my 2006 Terracan. A week ago I went to open the door and it would not unlock on the fob, I could see it had power as the red light came on when I pressed the button. Likewise the spare. I opened the door with the key the indicator lights then started flashing and I assume the alarm would be sounding only I disconnected the audible sounder many years ago.
I put the key in the ignition and tried to start the car. All the dash light come on but no sound from the starter motor whatsoever. Had the breakdown company come and check it over and he thinks it is the immobilizer. The car is then taken to my local garage taken off the trailer and responds to the key and starts on the button. Nothing comes up on the diagnostics I pick the car up drive 1.8 miles home get out the car lock it on the key walk about 10 foot away pressed to see if all was Ok and no it was not responding again.
The breakdown service said they would take it back the following morning which they did after checking it was not starting it went back to the garage, still not starting. They leave it overnight and it started first time and again nothing on the diagnostics. I can't bring myself to pick it up until he has an answer. He thinks that it should turn over the starter even if its immobilized, I'm not sure. I had also changed the battery's in the key fob just as to rule that out. The only significant work it has had in the last month is the injectors changed. Any help would be invaluable and help my sanity. :frown:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Do they know how to test the immobilizer? May just be a bad connection on the antenna.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
He thinks that it should turn over the starter even if its immobilized
Your car likely has two immobilizers. A transponder key immobilizer which inhibits the fuel injectors if you try to start the engine by hot wiring the ignition, or try to start it with an invalid key. And it has a starter inhibitor that prevents the engine from cranking if the alarm is switched on. If the engine is immobilized by the transponder key the engine will still crank, but not fire. Your problem is with the alarm, so the starter inhibitor is active, which is why the engine wont crank.

You don't need to call recovery if the alarm wont switch off. The alarm can usually be switched off using the ignition key. When you unlock the car using the key and open the door the alarm will go off. Put the key in the ignition and switch the ignition on, but don't try to start the engine. Leave the ignition on for approx 30secs and the alarm should disarm and allow the engine to crank.

And if that doesn't work, you can at least get the engine running by bypassing the START relay located out on the engine bay fusebox. Remove the relay and use a short link wire to bridge the two terminals of the relay socket on the fusebox as shown below :

Make Sure Gearbox is in P/N

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
See - PDF at bottom.
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/terracan-forum/101893-immobiliser.html

ALSO -

You just open the car with key (manual through door lock), the alarm will sound and will not allow engine to be started. Just put key and turn to ignition but do not try to start engine. Leave ignition on for one minute until the alarms turns off by itself. Light on dash stops flashing.
Now you can start the engine,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update. I've not replied in the last few weeks just so I can give it time for a measured reply.

After it was returned for the second time I said they could use it for a few days to see if the issue would resurface.

Before they used it the cleaned, removed every wire and terminal they think would have caused the problem, even swapping one of the relays that controlled the cooling fan with the one that could have been inline with the immobilizer/alarm, as they were identical relays.

6 weeks on and the problem has not currently resurfaced but I'm still at a loss as to what the problem was and am living on my nerves a bit just waiting for it to happen again.

Anyway, thanks for the help its good to know there is a place to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts