Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I dropped my Audi A4 for a 2011 Sonata. Hyundai has come a long ways.

I am having one problem with my car though. Both of my key fobs work for a few minutes after the car is turned off. Then they will not unlock the car. When I hit unlock the lights come on inside, but it does not unlock the doors. The lights come on with the fob regardless of how long it has been since I started the car. If I unlock the car with my keys the car alarm goes off and the engine is immobilized. I can then get out of the car, lock it with the key and unlock it again and it works. I can also start the car if I unlock the door and wait a couple of minutes before I attempt to start the car.

After this the key fobs work again for about two minutes after the car is turned off. The key fob batteries are new and the car has a brand new battery. The dealer replaced the central locking mechanism thinking that was the problem. It did not resolve the issue. Has anyone else had this problem or have an idea what may be going on?

My car is a 2011 Sonata GLS with nav/dimesion. I have 55K miles on it and still have warranty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Maybe a stretch, but here's one theory. Hood latch switch (or rubber insert on bottom of hood that makes contact with the switch)? What happens if you get out of the vehicle and press the lock button on the remote twice (quickly). Do you get a "beep"?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a stretch, but here's one theory. Hood latch switch (or rubber insert on bottom of hood that makes contact with the switch)? What happens if you get out of the vehicle and press the lock button on the remote twice (quickly). Do you get a "beep"?
I do get a beep with a double click of the lock button. Thanks for brain storming with me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Does the button on the door unlock the car when you have the Proximity Key with you? You also imply an issue with starting the car when you get in (you said you have to wait a couple of minutes)..............does this happen all the time?

I only ask these questions because I seldom use the buttons on the Proximity Key for anything. I always lock and unlock the doors with the outside door handle button........same thing goes for the trunk.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you tried changing the vehicle settings to change the "1 click unlock setting" to all doors? If so, does this make a difference?

[To access this, press and hold the trip button while vehicle in park, key on (doesn't matter if engine is running)]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to try changing settings. Thanks for telling me how. I do not have the push button start on my GLS. The problem with starting is the car alarm goes off and it immobilizes the starter if I try to start the car right away after unlocking with the key.

The key fob ALWAYS will turn the light on and changes the blinking led security light (ie solid of blinking) when I press the buttons, bit it only unlocks or locks the doors or trunk for a short period of time after the engine is shut off. I am dropping it at the dealership today. Hopefully they have some more ideas as well.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
I will have to try changing settings. Thanks for telling me how. I do not have the push button start on my GLS. The problem with starting is the car alarm goes off and it immobilizes the starter if I try to start the car right away after unlocking with the key.

The key fob ALWAYS will turn the light on and changes the blinking led security light (ie solid of blinking) when I press the buttons, bit it only unlocks or locks the doors or trunk for a short period of time after the engine is shut off. I am dropping it at the dealership today. Hopefully they have some more ideas as well.
Does the car actually start after the alarm horn goes off? GLS car has the immobilizer chip in the key. Maybe you have a bad key(s).

From what you describe, the remote is working correctly (relock occurs after a short amount of time on all Sonatas if you do not open it).

Hopefully dealer wont charge you for the diagnostic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the car actually start after the alarm horn goes off? GLS car has the immobilizer chip in the key. Maybe you have a bad key(s).

From what you describe, the remote is working correctly (relock occurs after a short amount of time on all Sonatas if you do not open it).

Hopefully dealer wont charge you for the diagnostic.

The GLS key does not have a chip actually. If the fob does not disengage the alarm then the ignition is turned off and any attemp the start the car sets off the alarm. Ascitvtuensvoitvygw fob turns on the done light and turns the alarm off. The problem is it does not lock or unlock the doors or trunk after the car has been off for about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so the dealer fixed it for me. They had to get Hyundai tech support to help and it ended up being a faulty junction box. They also did a free oil change for the trouble. They have treated me very well. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts