Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have a 16’ Sonata Hybrid.It’s been less than 3 months since replacing the last battery and around the same length of time before that. I really don’t understand how a key fob battery can die so frequently. I very rarely ever use the buttons on it and always just unlock it with the push button on the door and trunk, so why the F are these batteries dying so quickly? I usually use either the Amazon brand or Energizer brand and over the last four years it doesn’t matter which brand I use, same result.
Is anyone else here having this issue? When I first bought my car I had to YouTube how to disassemble the key fob for the battery replacement. But since I do it so **** frequently, I know it be heart. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mine on the Elantra lasted about 4 years, and about 3 with the Tucson. Both are push button start. They constantly put out a signal so the car knows when you are year.

But 3 months is bad. Maybe you are getting old batteries. Try buying them locally vs the internet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine on the Elantra lasted about 4 years, and about 3 with the Tucson. Both are push button start. They constantly put out a signal so the car knows when you are year.

But 3 months is bad. Maybe you are getting old batteries. Try buying them locally vs the internet.
I don't think it is because I am purchasing them from the internet. I purchase all my batteries off Amazon and Walmart.com and have never had an issue. I think it is the keyfob itself that is wrong. **** I have batteries in my tv remote that last years! I am talking about four tv remotes with batteries purchased from Amazon. Toys for my kids have the same batteries too.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Don't compare your TV remote to a smart fob that is constantly sending out a signal. Granted it should still last years, but not the same.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Question: Do you have 2 key fobs (like most)? If so, do they both behave the same when it comes to batteries. If you only have 1 then no way to compare there. Yes, that time frame is ridiculous really. Maybe there is a stuck button constantly? Or, if you keep in your pocket, it is being activated frequently, but no effect because you're not near the car?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question: Do you have 2 key fobs (like most)? If so, do they both behave the same when it comes to batteries. If you only have 1 then no way to compare there. Yes, that time frame is ridiculous really. Maybe there is a stuck button constantly? Or, if you keep in your pocket, it is being activated frequently, but no effect because you're not near the car?
That’s a great possibility. I’ll try and locate my second key fob.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've only changed the fob battery once on my 2016 and it was built in Sept. 2015. I got it six months later.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the same car, 2016 Hybrid Sonata. I replaced the fob battery in June 2018 one month after buying the car as a CPO with 14k miles on it. Seems Hyundai does not install new fob batteries as part of their 140 point inspection. Anyway, this is my wife's daily driver and it is still going strong on that replacement battery, so 18 months roughly. The 2nd fob which is only used occasionally still has it's original (to me) battery in it.

I also buy batteries mainly from Amazon and can say for a certainty that batteries are one of the most counterfeited items you will find on Amazon (or any online storefront such as eBay). Reading reviews on Amazon specifically, most 1 star reviews are from people who claim receiving dead batteries or ones that die very quickly (they believe they received aged or counterfeit products usually).

That is a possibility for your short life observation as well as the theory that the button could become depressed while in your pocket. Their are threads here at HF that specifically talk about this happening to people where they discover their trunk has popped open or doors were found unlocked upon returning to vehicle. They make a silicone sleeve to address this issue that fits over the fob to make accidentally pressing the buttons much more difficult.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I only know I've accidentally pressed a button when my phone says "PANIC ALARM DETECTED!" :) I've taken to putting the fob on the bottom of my pocket with the buttons facing down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts