Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started experiencing a strange problem for a while with one of my key fobs, after locking the car, the alarm goes off by itself. At least that seems to be the situation.

If the car is locked with my wife's key fob, after a while the alarm starts going off. She said she has experienced this yesterday when she came out of the mall and the alarm was sounding. We went to lunch today and locked the car with her key fob and the same thing happened after about fifteen minutes.

I have used my key fob to lock the car and have had no problem. I have exchange fobs with my wife, as she uses the car more than me and up to now, she has had no more problems.

Thinking back to Thanksgiving Day, we went out to dinner and were sitting by the window and the alarm went off (we could see the flashing lights. I happened to be using her keys as I walked out of the house without mine.

This makes no sense to me and we have been very careful not to accidentally bump a button. And she is well out of range for the key fob while in the mall.

I thought that once the key fob locked the car that was it, but it is only happening with my wife's fob.

Any ideas on this STRANGE PROBLEM?

Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
Try this.

Lock the car by pressing the lock button twice. horn should give a chirp, confirming the system is "armed". go to each door and give a tug on the handle. obviously it wont open, but im more concerned with a good pull (dont break the handle though, lol). if the alarm goes off at any one door, you need to inspect the door switch contact area for damage.

do the same for the hood and trunk.

if the horn doesnt chirp, something is currently "open" in the sense that the ecu is not getting the closed input. might need an updated hood pad switch, but i cant remember if this one was an issue or not.

if all that passes, you could be looking at a module or wiring issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have recently started experiencing a strange problem for a while with one of my key fobs, after locking the car, the alarm goes off by itself. At least that seems to be the situation.

If the car is locked with my wife's key fob, after a while the alarm starts going off. She said she has experienced this yesterday when she came out of the mall and the alarm was sounding. We went to lunch today and locked the car with her key fob and the same thing happened after about fifteen minutes.

I have used my key fob to lock the car and have had no problem. I have exchange fobs with my wife, as she uses the car more than me and up to now, she has had no more problems.

Thinking back to Thanksgiving Day, we went out to dinner and were sitting by the window and the alarm went off (we could see the flashing lights. I happened to be using her keys as I walked out of the house without mine.

This makes no sense to me and we have been very careful not to accidentally bump a button. And she is well out of range for the key fob while in the mall.

I thought that once the key fob locked the car that was it, but it is only happening with my wife's fob.

Any ideas on this STRANGE PROBLEM?

Thanks
If you carry both key FOBs with you, but only use yours does the alarm still go off?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

It seems to have gotten worse. Now it goes off Occasionally with my key fob but not as often.

There is obviously more going on. :confused:

I will have to do some experimenting.

I will start with the door handles as jsvob03 suggested.

Thanks for the input.

PS: Does anyone know if the alarm has a time out where the alarm will stop sounding?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Problem

I have identified a problem. The doors lock on the first push of the key fob but the horn does not chirp on a second push. It used to do so. So, any ideas how to identify the problem. :confused:

I have tried pulling on the door handles and pushing on the hood to no avail.

Will the code reader port identify this issue as I have a code reader.

To save embarrassment, is their anyway to temporarily disable the alarm?

Thanks

WCW

EDIT

I found the problem. I recently had the radiator hoses replaced by Hyundai. I lifted the hood and held the sensor down and tied the double lock push and the horn sounded. I happened to notice that someone had left a razor knife in the hood track near the sensor. I removed the razor knife and all is well.

Thank You Hyundai for all the problems and embarrassment you have caused.

OH Well, at least the problem is fixed and thanks for all the suggestions.

WCW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts