Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ages ago my key lost its screw, this has led to the little plastic button and all its security nonsense fallout out randomly. Ive managed to notice it everytime it came out.... until now...

So I still have my key, I can unlock and lock my car but the engine just keeps turning over. I assume its because of some electronic shananigans.

I probably need a new key or at least a new inner bit. Its currently 5:40 AM and This is my first attempt at getting help. What do I do?
I am going to be ringing someone I know who worked at selling cars and see what he sees but that is a few hours down the line. Next is ringing my nearest hyundai dealership which is a rather long bus ride away.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,175 Posts
Sounds like you've lost the transponder chip out of the key so the key is now invalid as far as the immobiliser is concerned.
As you say, you'll need a new key or the inner part, then you'll need to have the replacement coded to the engine ECU before the engine will start. And you'll need the remote part coded to the ETAC module before it will lock/unlock the doors.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
A good auto locksmith should be able to get it done. The dealership is going to be the long and expensive way I feel. They should be able to get the security pin code to do the programming but then so should a good locksmith who also is likely going to be able to access a VIN decoder and generic remote.

It's unlikely the dealer will have a blank key on the shelf, you may be lucky but I find they keep little to no stock these days

Having a spare key is an advantage, maybe time to sort that one out at the same time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts