Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here - hello everybody. Unfortunately, I guess you could say I inherited a 2007 Accent 3-door, 5 speed, A/C, 40K miles. I say 'inherited' - but what I really mean is I got stuck with it when my son quit paying for it (I cosigned - never again). It's an OK car for around town and is in good shape, but I travel alot and already have an MPG car. I really don't need this car, nor the payment, but don't know if I can get what (ahem) he owes for it, which is about $7k. Soooo.... tell me what y'all think. Should I just put cruise in it, and run it 'til the wheels drop off? Or can I get $7k for it?

Thanks in advance for any advice (beyond the obvious :mad: )

Stumper in Bama

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you really don't need or want it, privately sell it for as much as you can get it and then just pay the remainder off as soon as you can with a lesson learned, I guess.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
It's your irresponsible son's car, but it's in your name... SELL IT :) And if he ever wants a car again, it's gonna be in his name (if anyone will even sell a car to him with no cosigner) :thumbsup:

Teach 'im a lesson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to let this post sit for a day or so and see who else chimes in. Really wondering what it's worth. Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate anything y'all can offer. I really did not expect to be in this situation.

Stumper

·
Registered
515 Posts
KBB it (kelly blue book) and see what it says for the private sell value for your car...that should help you obtain an idea of it's private and dealer value as well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is this a SE accent? If not, I can't see you really getting 7k for the specs you provided on the car...What is your other MPG car?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You might not be able to get the 7k. But it's a might...
Nada price you're looking at around 7k.
BB is around the same...in excellent condition.
You will take a loss on what you get vs what you owe though :(
I would say you will have better chances selling it at 6k.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I got around $4,000 when I traded in my old accent, but that was the base model.Plus. It was a dealer, so they want to buy it for less than they are going to sell it. So don't sell it to a dealer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would check the blue book price, check the black book price (more accurate), and have your car evaluated at carmax. They will generally buy a car for more than the trade in value. They did for my wife's jetta I just sold to them. Carmax will also buy your car outright, not just a trade in. Carmax actually gave me $200 more for my wife's car than black book. The negative equity I paid off out of pocket.

Also edmunds.com's used car appraisal guide is pretty accurate, but not as accurate as black book though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input folks.

Other MPG car is a prius. Bigger, more comfy, better MPG.

Just drove the Accent on an 800-mile round trip, and while it performed just fine, I sincerely believe this car is not for me. And as much as I would prefer for the boy to acquire some ability to live up to his commitments, I can't wait forever. So, it goes. Going to post it for sale here and elsewhere in a day or 2 - $7k OBO. Probably more OBO than I want to. :( Also going to look around for a carmax - thanks for the tip.

Thanks again yall -

Stumper

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (Stumper @ Jul 17 2010, 06:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342546
Thanks for all the input folks.

Other MPG car is a prius. Bigger, more comfy, better MPG.

Just drove the Accent on an 800-mile round trip, and while it performed just fine, I sincerely believe this car is not for me. And as much as I would prefer for the boy to acquire some ability to live up to his commitments, I can't wait forever. So, it goes. Going to post it for sale here and elsewhere in a day or 2 - $7k OBO. Probably more OBO than I want to. :( Also going to look around for a carmax - thanks for the tip.

Thanks again yall -

Stumper
You could do what I always do on the internet... post it for $7500 OBO, and then offer down to 7000, so you still get as much as you wanted to in the first place :thumbsup:
<-- Pro Craigslister :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, posted with pics in the 'for sale' section. Someone buy this car please. Every day I see it makes me a little more disappointed with the whole situation.

Ninja - yeah I would have done that, except 7k seems like a reasonable price, and I just want it to leave my driveway. Ready to be done with this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts