Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what some of you guys thought about an offer i was given on a SFS turbo awd with tech. This vehicle was driven by the wife of the owner of the dealership. It currently has 687 miles on it. In my opinion this makes the car "used". But the dealer does not agree, they say it is still new and can compensate me for the extra miles. basically they will sell it for 33,500. msrp is around 36,500.
The crazy thing is when i plug in the mileage on KBB, the value comes up as 29,934 private party. Now i know the vehicle is technically not "used" but she was taking the car home every day and using it as her everyday vehicle. To me, that's used. just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on this, also does hyundai really have that terrible of a resale value? or am i missing something here?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
In my book, the only new cars are those that have never been registered/licenced with the relevant authority - once it's been used on the road with a regular number plate / licence plate then it's used.

Such action by your dealer would be unlawful in the UK - what is the legal position where you are.

·
2,258 Posts
Just wanted to see what some of you guys thought about an offer i was given on a SFS turbo awd with tech. This vehicle was driven by the wife of the owner of the dealership. It currently has 687 miles on it. In my opinion this makes the car "used". But the dealer does not agree, they say it is still new and can compensate me for the extra miles. basically they will sell it for 33,500. msrp is around 36,500.
The crazy thing is when i plug in the mileage on KBB, the value comes up as 29,934 private party. Now i know the vehicle is technically not "used" but she was taking the car home every day and using it as her everyday vehicle. To me, that's used. just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on this, also does hyundai really have that terrible of a resale value? or am i missing something here?
wow that dealership just ticked me off. i wish you'd find another dealer to deal with. they dont deserve your hard earned money.

a. the car is used. if they are trying to sell it as new (because the wife drove it with dealer plates - thus going around the need to re-register the car for private use) they are being dishonest, right from the get-go.

b. no one in their right mind would pay MSRP. MSRP is a figure thats bloated. most people will be well under msrp on a real-brand-new car. so the offer they are giving you, is BS. it doesnt even compensate you for the mileage/wear/tear the wife put on that car. i wouldn't be surprised if she put on more, and they simply "modified" the speedometer to show less.(its not an uncommon practice). check the tires of this car. tires dont lie(unless they changed those too)

that car having almost 1,000 miles should be sold well under the msrp, and under the commonly sold prices for a car with less than 25-50 miles. i ran that car with NADA values, as a used 2013 model with 700 miles (and tech package) and it came up as a retail value of $29,150 for a super clean(near spotless) price tag.

regarding mileage modification: ebay and other retailers sell plenty modules and computer programs to do this. many dealers have these programs in-house when they are ordered to replace speedometers that are broken in customer cars.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's a demo car! It will be purchased as a new car since it has never been registered. You should get a reasonable reduction in price, but it is new. I bought a BMW Z4 that way last year. I got a great deal on it and I am the only titled owner. If that isn't acceptable, then a CPO is a very good option too. Make sure you check when the warranty starts or if it started when the wife started driving it. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is a used car that hasn't been titled and if you sell anyone will see through a one owner vehicle when you register it a close to 700 miles. I got mine new for less than you are quoted (33200 with an extra key) plus $1250 off with Hyundai finance. Tell the stealer that their 13 with that many miles is going to look weak when the 14's arrive. You should be able to get this for less than 31k + tax

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts

They are ripping you off. This is ridiculous to want that much money even if it had 0 miles. Right at the get-go there is a $750 rebate and likely to go much higher in the near future when the 2014s hit the lots. You can get another $500 if you finance through Hyundai and yet another $500 if you have any military (and/or a DD214) . That's $1,750 right there and that's before the spread between the MRSP and invoice and holdback of 3%.

Heck, I got $2,500 off on each of my two new Hyundais I bought recently in rebates alone. One just rolled off the transport and the other not long before that. Basically 0 miles on the clock. I wouldn't even consider a car that had more than perhaps 250 miles on the clock and only that because it was probably a dealer trade.

Go to TrueCar or Edmunds or similar site and get a "real" price.

Run, don't walk from that dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I was arguing back and forth with the guy for a half hour yesterday. He was as shady as they come. I also spoke with John Krafcik a few days ago about the 2014 model. He said they will be on dealership lots starting next month with nationwide rollout through october. He said pricing has not been set but only small changes will be made. The fact that the Ceo of a company like Hyundai would make himself available to answer basic questions, really says a lot.
I'm going to tell the dealer to shove it and wait around for the 2014. Thanks again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It was driven by a little old lady only to church once a week!!! I've heard that story over and over from the dealers about the car being driven by the owner or his family before!!

I say, so what! If they want to take the stock home at night then they should price it as used!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Demo cars are considered new, because they have never been registered. Also the cars driven by the GM of the dealer are "executive driven" cars that are driven up to, but not more than 12 months are considered new, because they have never been registered.
It's up to the individual buyer if they feel that they are getting a good deal or not.
It's always going to be a used car, labeled as new.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very similar experience. "Dealer's wife" had it, and put 4,000 miles on it. Sure, it may title as new, but that's 4,000 miles! The car had wear and tear. And they wanted to charge me FULL price, and would not budge. So, I walked out.

I ended up buying a demo from another dealership that had 300 miles on it, but the dealer discounted it significantly.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Demo cars are considered new, because they have never been registered. Also the cars driven by the GM of the dealer are "executive driven" cars that are driven up to, but not more than 12 months are considered new, because they have never been registered.
It's up to the individual buyer if they feel that they are getting a good deal or not.
Well said!!!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. I was arguing back and forth with the guy for a half hour yesterday. He was as shady as they come. I also spoke with John Krafcik a few days ago about the 2014 model. He said they will be on dealership lots starting next month with nationwide rollout through october. He said pricing has not been set but only small changes will be made. The fact that the Ceo of a company like Hyundai would make himself available to answer basic questions, really says a lot.

I'm going to tell the dealer to shove it and wait around for the 2014. Thanks again.
I would only wait around for the 2014's to appear and then take advantage of the increased rebates as I understand will be forthcoming. I seriously doubt there will be any changes worthy of mention, unless the V6 is shared across both platforms. Right now those 2013 Santa Fes are clogging the dealer lots. They will want to move them rapidly off the lots to make room for the 2014's. Cash buyers are sitting on the sidelines just waiting to pounce on the deals to come.

I should know probably next week when to expect them and what if any changes are coming.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Very similar experience. "Dealer's wife" had it, and put 4,000 miles on it. Sure, it may title as new, but that's 4,000 miles! The car had wear and tear. And they wanted to charge me FULL price, and would not budge. So, I walked out.

I ended up buying a demo from another dealership that had 300 miles on it, but the dealer discounted it significantly.
300 miles is reasonable and could be the distance if a dealer trade was involved. I brought back a Genesis R-spec almost 250 miles for a customer but his obligation only kicked in when he took delivery.

Offhand, I would say you got a good deal.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
That's crazy legislation if that's really the case.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You hit this on the head. This isn't unusual at all for dealers to do this. They even allow staff to drive the cars home in some cases. Either way, it is "technically" new since it hasn't been titled but that's a complete scam. We all know it.

In truth, the mileage on the one you are looking at is LOW. I've looked at demo's with 5,000 miles or more on them. Definitely negotiate a better deal or walk. He's banking on you being an idiot and emotionally tied to the purchase. That's where they get people. He will be taking a huge hit when it's time to move a 2013 with excessive miles on the clock when, as already stated, the new '14s roll onto the lot.

G

·
To the original poster of this thread. I bought a brand new Santa Fe AWD Sport 2.0T loaded about 3 weeks ago. The sticker was 36,200, I paid 30,900. I simply instant messaged a salesman on their site and asked him to give me his bottom line price on the car. I told him if it was a great deal, I'd buy it that night. He had to "talk to the manager" LOL, so I told him to email me the price. He did, 5 minutes later. 3 hours after that, I was driving this beauty home. 30,900, brand new...had 3 miles on it. Your dealer is playing games, find another one. That price is way too high.

My price included the incentives, obviously.

BTW, I have purchased my last 6 cars over the internet via the dealerships internet sales folks. I have found it to be a much simpler way to buy a car. No haggling, no pushy sales people, just the bottom line. Easy Peezee. They also have most of the paperwork done when you arrive. That saves time.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Sounds like a great deal and an excellent way to negotiate. I more or less did the same thing on a 2012 Tucson with the internet salesman. He gave me the price I wanted, sight unseen (on my trade-ins). Went to the dealership and I was out of there within an hour.

G

·
Yes indeed. three weeks after I bought the SFS, I liked it so much, I decided to sell my 03 Toyota and by another Hyundai. I emailed the dealer and asked for best pricing on 5 vehicles they had in stock. I ended up buying a 13 Tuscon LTD, lightly optioned. 26885 window for 23,300ish. 3500 off window. That price includes the incentives. I thought it was a great deal. I love the Tuscon. Great vehicle for the $$ imo. I took it home on a Wed and went back and finished the paperwork Friday night. I love dealers that trust customers that much.

Sounds like a great deal and an excellent way to negotiate. I more or less did the same thing on a 2012 Tucson with the internet salesman. He gave me the price I wanted, sight unseen (on my trade-ins). Went to the dealership and I was out of there within an hour.

G

·
One thing I forgot to mention in my post about pricing, it's obviously different depending on where you live. Even though we're out in the boonies and have 13 straight miles of farm fields just outside our back door, we are 5 to 10 minutes at most from several major thriving suburban cities. That means there are lots of Hyundai Stores within a 30 mile radius. That fact equates to brisk competition amongst dealers for customer dollars. Many of the stores around us have huge inventory on hand as well. That fact makes it easier to get a "great" deal. These guys live to turn dollars. The money for them isn't in selling new vehicles, because no one pays anywhere close to MSRP for any Hyundai.They make their money on used cars, the F&I office, and of course the parts and service departments.
If we lived in a rural area with just one dealer nearby, we would have to either pay up or travel further to seek a better deal. While I'm very happy with the prices I paid on my 2 new Hyundai's, I'm 100% sure there are many people here who got better deals than I did. That said, I'm pleased with where we ended up price wise. Good shopping and good luck to all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts