Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS and am having Katzkin leather seats installed. I went with dark graphite, perforated in the body area with silver stitching. I was looking at the SE and LIMITED editions however when I was discussing such with my local dealer he offered $755 installed. Later came back via e-mail and said he typed it incorrectly and said it should have been $1,295 so how could I pass that up.

However, I am now wondering about the quality of the Katzkin? I am leaving my 2002 Dodge Stratus ES behind that I purchased in NOV-01 which has around 82,000 miles on it now. It had black leather and it looks as good now as the day I bought it.

Will the Katzkin wear just as well?

Is it a better or worse leather quality vs OEM? Will they last, will they bunch up? Are they as good as the LIMITED OEM leather? The SE model only offers cloth seats with leather trim vs all leather which is another reason I jumped all over the deal.

Your thoughts please.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (2011HYUNDAISONATA20100930 @ Oct 3 2010, 12:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360538
I just purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS and am having Katzkin leather seats installed. I went with dark graphite, perforated in the body area with silver stitching. I was looking at the SE and LIMITED editions however when I was discussing such with my local dealer he offered $755 installed. Later came back via e-mail and said he typed it incorrectly and said it should have been $1,295 so how could I pass that up.

However, I am now wondering about the quality of the Katzkin? I am leaving my 2002 Dodge Stratus ES behind that I purchased in NOV-01 which has around 82,000 miles on it now. It had black leather and it looks as good now as the day I bought it.

Will the Katzkin wear just as well?

Is it a better or worse leather quality vs OEM? Will they last, will they bunch up? Are they as good as the LIMITED OEM leather? The SE model only offers cloth seats with leather trim vs all leather which is another reason I jumped all over the deal.

Your thoughts please.

Regards,
I have no idea about Katzkins but my mom had leather seats put in her '07 camry when she bought it new. it cost $1500 and the seats are incredibly comfortable and the leather is butter soft and seems very durable. She had it done by a local trim shop the dealer recommended (northern California).

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Oct 3 2010, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360770
I had Katzkins in my truck, not worth the money, they wore out in a couple spots.
My dealer tried to sell me a Pacific Blue Santa Fe they had on the lot and offered to re-cover the beige seats in black using Katzkin. Having read that, I'm glad I insisted on the dealer trade. :) I wouldn't have caved, anyway....the last thing I want somebody doing is tearing apart my new car and replacing OEM parts with something else. I held firm and got what I wanted. :thumbsup:

93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seats look and feel great! They are also backed by 3yr 36k warranty, I think they will be great in the long run. The leather feels like better quality than my original OEM seats with my previous Dodge Stratus.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow...that looks hot! Did they replace the cloth or is the leather on top of the cloth? I know it's a weird question but a while back I was looking at getting a Kia Forte and they were going to install leather on top of the cloth!

93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Hues @ Oct 18 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364261
That really looks great!

Do they give you a choice in the color of the stitching?
Yeah, they did give me a choice of stitching color. I did rely on the local shop to help decide, they thought "silver" stitching would look great. It might be a bit bold for me, however I think it does look great with the seat. The seams are very tight and the stitching is very well done. Again, per my previous 9 year experience with my 02 Stratus these seats are just as good if not better. The stratus seats looked nearly as good as they did when I sold it as when I purchased it. All of the stitching colors were free, the only up charge was for the perforated inserts which was $50.00 that my dealer took care of as well.

93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (kicks @ Oct 18 2010, 04:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364315
Wow...that looks hot! Did they replace the cloth or is the leather on top of the cloth? I know it's a weird question but a while back I was looking at getting a Kia Forte and they were going to install leather on top of the cloth!
I grilled the local dealer on how the leather would be installed. They take the seats out of the vehicle and take the OEM cloth off very carefully not to damage any of the padding and/or components (i.e. air bags etc...) and the add padding if needed (most of the time not) and then install the leather right on top of the OEM padding as securely as it was originally. I also watched a couple of videos on YouTube regarding such. The dealer was nice enough to give me a tour through the back shop area as they were working on a lot of cars through various stages. It looked to me like everything was being done top notch, and after taking delivery of the vehicle I would agree. The leather fits great on the seats, no bulges, wrinkles etc...

·
Registered
247 Posts
QUOTE (2011HYUNDAISONATA20100930 @ Oct 19 2010, 07:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364480
I didn't even catch that. No fold marks just something with the Camera or how I took the photo. There are no fold marks on any of the seats or headrests.
it can't be the camera. the mark is clearly visible in all of the pictures that show the driver's seat headrest.
i better stay away from katzkin...
anyway, i'm planning to install leather when my fabric seats starts to get dirty or wears out.

·
Registered
854 Posts
so how much did you pay to install? did you buy the leather online or from the dealer? Too much clutter in this thread to read it again, sorry.

93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (eyecue @ Oct 19 2010, 09:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364492
so how much did you pay to install? did you buy the leather online or from the dealer? Too much clutter in this thread to read it again, sorry.
I paid $755 installed; the dealer accidentally quoted his cost via a e-mail conversation and said he would honor it. He was supposed to charge $1,295. I thought it was a great deal.

Had it installed at a local shop in town. We did a special order with Katzkin since it was graphite grey with silver stitching. Said it would take about 5 days to have the seat leathers fabricated and then installed. We order it on a Friday and I picked up the car about 8 days later.

93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (shinigami @ Oct 19 2010, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364481
it can't be the camera. the mark is clearly visible in all of the pictures that show the driver's seat headrest.
i better stay away from katzkin...
anyway, i'm planning to install leather when my fabric seats starts to get dirty or wears out.
It's and illusion somehow, if not the camera then the sunlight when I was taking it. There is definitely no fold marks on any of the seats.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (2011HYUNDAISONATA20100930 @ Oct 19 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364499
It's and illusion somehow, if not the camera then the sunlight when I was taking it. There is definitely no fold marks on any of the seats.
There is clearly a line going all the way down from top to bottom on the drivers headrest, impossible for it to be the camera. It's not a fold, it's some kind of mark.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (2011HYUNDAISONATA20100930 @ Oct 19 2010, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364499
I agree it looks sorta like blue chalk, but if you look at the picture of the driver seat, you see it a dot of it lower down the seat. I bet its a reflection of light from your camera flash off something reflective like the rear view mirror or something. It definitely looks strange though! :)

93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (eyecue @ Oct 19 2010, 10:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364507
There is clearly a line going all the way down from top to bottom on the drivers headrest, impossible for it to be the camera. It's not a fold, it's some kind of mark.
I can't tell if you trying to call me a liar or not? However, I will say it again. There is NO mark and/or fold on ANY of the seats, yet alone the headrest in question. If there was anything visible, I would have addressed it immediately with the dealer. The seats are just brilliant, and I would highly recommend them!

·
Registered
247 Posts
since katzkin was one of my considerations, i would ask for more photos proving that katzkin doesn't use leather with creases on it, but i guess that's too much to ask from the OP..
i think it may have been some kind of temporary chalk mark that got erased away when OP started putting his head against the headrest, wiping the mark clean~ except the photos have a line through them still.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts