Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my GLS for 2 weeks. SO far so good!!

Just wondering has anyone put a K & N filter in?

I have run them in several other cars and considering buying one for my Sonota.

Any comments?

·
Registered
268 Posts
i have just a simple drop in filter attached to the rubber hose....the only thing you have to be careful about is the hose is rubber so if you make it too tight it will bend inward and your filter will fall off while driving

·
Registered
548 Posts
What's the point? 1-2 HP gained for the chance of more debris getting in to the engine? It's not smart to do if you care about the longevity of your vehicle. Just get the OEM filter or a good paper filter and you're good to go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Jul 18 2010, 06:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342757
you just have to get the right size for where it attaches thats all

Certainly if you're willing to remove the stock air-box; which is why I specified "drop in" filter in my post. As in dropping it directly in place of the stock filter. FYI- replacing the air-box with a simple cone filter may look cool and alter the sound a little, but it might not actually improve your performance. I went over this, in more detail as to why, in a previous thread about K&N filters. If you want you can look that up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jul 18 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342762
What's the point? 1-2 HP gained for the chance of more debris getting in to the engine? It's not smart to do if you care about the longevity of your vehicle. Just get the OEM filter or a good paper filter and you're good to go.

That is exactly what I was going to say. A K/N on a normal 4 banger is pointless. Your probably making your low end torque WORSE then stock and you are letting all kinds of junk into your motor.

You can have your oil tested if you don't beleive it. Test it before and after the filter. You will be surpised.

There will be zero positive results from putting a KN filter in these cars. Save it for car that actually needs all that extra air.

·
Registered
268 Posts
so if this isnt a good idea to do then is there any other way of getting the same kind of sound that you get from one....after having it for a couple weeks i really like the deeper tone

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Jul 19 2010, 01:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342931
so if this isnt a good idea to do then is there any other way of getting the same kind of sound that you get from one....after having it for a couple weeks i really like the deeper tone
Yep. Take out the filter. Voila!

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Jul 19 2010, 01:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342931

Im not saying your car is going to blow up or anything. I doubt you would ever suffer any catastrophic failure.

It just depends how anal you want to be regarding the maintenance on your car. Some people go to extreme measures to put high end oil and oil filters in their cars then put on a K/N which will let in many more contaminants then a stock filter.

I say if you like the sound and you don't mind a little dirt in your engine keep on using it. I can't say that I have ever seen a car litterally breakdown because of a K/N filter.

Personally I don't do any "performace" mods on my cars unless I am certain there is something positive to be gained. Just my opinion, but I believe K/N filters hurt perforamance on more cars thenm they help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
...plus the oil from the filter gums up the MAF sensor. To the point where it can severely affect performance. It happened on my last car a couple time. I had to clean my MAF sensor every couple months. I would stay away from anything oiled, although they usually filter better. Best bet for performance and protection is to just keep the stock paper filter. Like others have said, it would be a different story if it was a high performance engine that would really benefit from the filter.

For Example: K&N filter

Scion tC: +1hp, -1TQ (actually loses torque and loses 5HP in the daily driving RPM range but gains 1HP up high)
Neon SRT4: +12HP, 9TQ

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you want to get picky, yes dirt can pose a potential long term problem; however I wouldn't loose sleep over it. That said, my personal issue with the K&N, [or *any* oiled filter, or filter that replaces the stock air box for that matter] is two fold. First is, by removing the stock air box, you'll likely loose power rather than gain any. This is due to the hotter air under the hood. The stock air-box channels cold air from outside the car. When you remove the air box, you're no longer getting cold, outside air, which is more dense and higher in oxygen.

My second issue is with the MAF. [Mass Air Flow meter] The car's ECU [computer] uses the MAF to determine air/fuel mixture. Most MAFs use a small heated wire to determine the volume of air. When air flows over the wire, will effect how much current must pass through it to maintain a certain temp. Switching to an oiled filter wil often lead to an oily build up on the wire, which at the very least, can impede performance and at the worst, ruin your MAF. A new MAF can cost more than $1000 to replace and is not covered under warranty. The best way to prevent this is *NOT* over oil the filter after you clean it *AND* get a can of MAF Cleaner from your local auto supply store and be sure to clean the MAF after every filter cleaning. ***WARNING*** DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN MAF CLEANER! i. e. Such as Brake Clean or Carb Clean. Most solvents can and will damage the MAF. MAF Cleaner is designed specifically NOT to harm the MAF.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting opinions...

I think if the k & N air filters did any real long term damage to any of the cars they go in then the manufacturers warranty would be quickly void wouldn't it?

I have run them in 3 different cars. The last being a civic with 290K on it. I'm not sure about the performance gain, I think its very minimal. But what about the cost of replacing the paper filter over and over??

As far as taking the stock air duct off, the only reason I would EVER do that is if I put a TRUE Cold Air Intake on. And then there would likely be a noticeable difference in performace. At least there certainly was in my tiburon.

For the time being I think I will stick with the stock filter until I see a better option. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts