Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.2L diesel engine.

I was thinking about changing the original filter box to a K&N 2021 air filter.
K&N E-2021 Replacement Air Filter, Replacement Filters

I don't expect more power, the only reason why I want to do this is because the 2.2 Engine does not really sound like a diesel at all. Its way too silent in my opinion.
I don't want to have a screaming engine, I also don't drive at high RPM or anything like that, I just want to have a little decent growl at lower RPMs.

Do you guys think I would run into any problems switching to that K&N air filter? I know that its not a "cold air intake", since hot air gets into the engine, but I don't think thats going to cause any problems? Also, as I mentioned, I'm not after more power, just after a little bit more sound in the lower PRMs.

Thanks!

Greetings
benvei

·
Registered
168 Posts
The K & N filter will not change the sound of the engine or increase power. I have K & N filters in my 2010 Santa Fe and my wife's 2011 Kia Sorento (same engine). The only reason is because they are reusable and around here a new air filter is half the price of the K & N. I do clean it/recharge it once a year - in fact I did it last weekend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The K & N filter will not change the sound of the engine or increase power. I have K & N filters in my 2010 Santa Fe and my wife's 2011 Kia Sorento (same engine). The only reason is because they are reusable and around here a new air filter is half the price of the K & N. I do clean it/recharge it once a year - in fact I did it last weekend.
No doubt that it won't increase power since its a computer controlled engine, but if I'm not wrong it should definitly change the sound when you remove the airbox and switch to such an open-style filter.
The intake sound should be much more noticable. You can even do this with the original airbox, when you remove to hose under the battery which goes to the front of the vehicle you also remove the silencer in that hose, and it gets way louder.
But in my opinion that was too much, I guess because there is a lot of sound reflection in this huge airfilter box.

I'm not talking about the drop-in filter, I'm talking about changing out the entire airbox.
Or am I completely wrong here?

Thanks!

Greetings

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry - my mistake. Yes the K & N filter charger will change the sound of the engine. My brother has one on his Pathfinder. Defintely louder and it does seem to bring up the RPMs faster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry - my mistake. Yes the K & N filter charger will change the sound of the engine. My brother has one on his Pathfinder. Defintely louder and it does seem to bring up the RPMs faster.
No problem. Great that it works on the Pathfinder.
I'm sure it would sound great, but still, my highest priority is a long-lasting engine.
I'm not sure if I would run into truble sucking in the hot air. I would also have to bend the rubber intake hose a little bit, otherwise the filter would not fit behind the battery.

Anyone got some experience on that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
On my brother's car the air filter is relocated to the front wheel well inside the splashguard. The is where K&N put it. Its a 1998 Pathfinder with 160,000 kms and never an issues with it sucking in water or having any other issues. The motor is still strong (the body on the other hard is pretty much rusted away :) The key is to get the intake out of the engine compartment and get cooler air into the intake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts