Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, here's the dilemma, I'm trying to get a new air filter for my car because I've just hit 15,000 miles and decided to take look at my filter; it was not only filled with dirt but also a side of dead insects piled in the bottom corner that came with it...

Anywho... Moving on!

With doing some research on the best air filters I came across the K&N brand, Purolaters, & Fram filters, apparently K&N filters give little bit more HP with the downfall of having more dust particles passing through your motor.

I just wanted to know if all these allegations are true now that K&N has come out with a model for the Sonata's that fit properly and to see what the hyundai community's opinion on these air filters are.

MS

·
Registered
508 Posts
I briefly had a K&N filter in my previous vehicle, I personally would not recommend it. Purchasing one signs you up for an afternoon of air filter cleaning and oiling anytime it gets dirty.

I use Purolator filters and they are more than up to the task, they are also fairly inexpensive. The major upside to a standard paper filter is you are done in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The OEM element has a synthetic fiber blend that is not possible to improve upon. K&N is garbage if you plan on keeping the car. Paper aftermarket ones are ok, but youi cant improve on the OEM element.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The OEM element has a synthetic fiber blend that is not possible to improve upon. K&N is garbage if you plan on keeping the car. Paper aftermarket ones are ok, but youi cant improve on the OEM element.
Do you actually believe this? How naive can one be . . . I guess it is settled: Every manufacturer of automotive air filtration devices should abandon all their R & D-- it is IMPOSSIBLE to improve on the media used by Hyundai. . . .

I worked in the engineering department of a company that at the time was the largest manufacture of air filtration equipment/devices in the world. One day our CEO said words to the effect that " . . . we know all there to know about filtration already; it is time to significantly reduce spending on research . . ." While that company still exist, it has been sold several times, taken over and pillaged and is not longer one of the leaders of the industry.

Having spent a lot time in the laboratories testing and evaluating "paper filter media", I never ran across one that did not have "synthetic" fibers. To imply that only Hyundai's OEM filter media has the ultimate synthetic fiber blend is just foolish. And I'd bet that Hyundai does not make the filters or the pleated media in it. Most filter manufacturers do not manufacture the media used in the filters anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd skip the K&N. They don't do as good a job filtering and if over oiled can cause problems. I have used them in the past and don't buy into some of the HP claims, especially for normal driving. The stock intake setup on the Sonata is not bad, I don't think airflow is an issue.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Alright guys, here's the dilemma, I'm trying to get a new air filter for my car because I've just hit 15,000 miles and decided to take look at my filter; it was not only filled with dirt but also a side of dead insects piled in the bottom corner that came with it...

Anywho... Moving on!

With doing some research on the best air filters I came across the K&N brand, Purolaters, & Fram filters, apparently K&N filters give little bit more HP with the downfall of having more dust particles passing through your motor.

I just wanted to know if all these allegations are true now that K&N has come out with a model for the Sonata's that fit properly and to see what the hyundai community's opinion on these air filters are.

MS
Interesting read concerning air filters . . .
Air Filtration Test

K&N filters are certainly not "garbage" or a waste of money-- they can save you money - - - but they are certainly a waste of your time and effort with respect to cleaning, drying and preping them. For sure there is a performance gain; and if you are in race where every thousand of a second over the quarter mile matters-- you want the K&N-- but then I'd assumed you have removed your spare tire, rear seats, and everything else than can be removed to lessen the weight of the car-- when ever 1/1000th of a second matters, every ounce weight and every CFM of flow makes a difference.

For everyday driving, just about any paper cartridge filter will be fine. And they are so much easier . . . to deal with than a washable K&N cotton or a foam filter.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Drop in K&N vs. OEM or others; neither will give you a HP gain but what the K&N will do is allow you to clean, oil and reuse the filter. The "if you over oil" is a joke just don't over oil and you will have not a problem. Just like spray painting, light even coats until it is pinkish red. Also "an afternoon of cleaning" let’s get real, if you are in a hurry wash out the filter either place it in the sun to dry out or get a hairdryer with no heat to dry it.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
For sure there is a performance gain;
Not so sure.
There will be less air restriction but that often does NOT translate into better performance if the FI system doesn't dump in extra fuel to take advantage of it.
And even that has little effect short of WOT because the plate in the throttle body is what really controls the air flow. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought replacement filters for mine (12k. mi.) @ Auto Zone. Whatever the brand was, the price was better than a dealership doing it for me, it was a cinch to do, and the filters (STP?) are decent quality.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
It has been also shown that the Sonata ECM compensates after a bit of time and all "gains" are lost.

And for the cost of the filter, and the recharge kits with the possible there really isn't substantial savings versus one mistake causing a problem.

I have seen oil analysis' for cars with cotton element filters and I would never use one on a daily driver. The elevated silicates versus the so called HP gains and so called reusable filter costs just are not worth it. I don't trade my cars in every 3-5 years either.

However I think the Sonata uses a AFM type meter versus a MAF sensor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought replacement filters for mine (12k. mi.) @ Auto Zone. Whatever the brand was, the price was better than a dealership doing it for me, it was a cinch to do, and the filters (STP?) are decent quality.
Stp is made by champion laboratory. They produce some very good quality filters. Just keep in mind that AutoZone or any other parts company would buy bulk items and rebox them. When kragen got bought out, AutoZone bought out reybestos and many more other , just to rebox them. I go OEM. Can't complain causeI love my stock modified intake system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
You need to take a gander at the motor as a air pump. A K&N or whatever other free streaming channel lets more air in, re-flying permits you to add more fuel to coordinate the expanded air flow.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You don't buy any drop in filter for a performance gain. The advantage of a K&N is it's reusable and will last the lifetime of the car. On cleaning kit will last more than the lifetime of one filter. Probably the lifetime of at least 5 filters. With the new spray oil verses the dropper, you have to be trying to over oil one.

There is a cost savings with a K&N. But you will have to clean every 50K-100K miles depending on your driving area. If you are not going to keep the car 100K miles or more, probably not worth the expense as a K&N does cost more initially.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stay with an OEM which only cost around US$ 20.00 good for 2 years. K&N is just a MYTH (in my opinion) and will give you a lot hazzles in cleaning/washing/drying oiling. There is a very negligible/un-noticeable performance gains using the OE style K&N.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just keep in mind ANY filter that lets in more air also lets in more DIRT. As a filter's Pressure Drop goes down (allowing more air to pass thru), filter Efficiency also decreases. Increased performance via air flow means decreased filtration.

Ever notice those big, honkin' high efficiency filters in front of the blowers on AA Fuel Dragsters? Me neither. Nevertheless, I ran a K&N-like filter (AEM) on my Acura TL for years. One of the better drop in air filters when considering both air flow and efficiency are the AC brand filters. Performance gains from an air filter are very, very slight-- but then so is the risk to the engine by the reduced filter efficiency. (unless you live in a dusty part of Arizona)

Custom Designed Air Filters | APC Filtration

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would save your money - I had a K/N filter on my Jeep Cherokee and I never saw a difference... it's rather expensive ($50) and you also have to buy a cleaning kit (you need to clean the K/N ever year)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts