Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that the K&N filter was available. I tried searching my local store, but of course they didn't have it in stock.

I liked having this filter on my old accord, but not sure I want to take the plunge and order it online for 50 bucks
Linkeroo

Anyone have this in their Sonata yet? Experiences? :liebe011:

I'm still waiting for my strut bar/mudflaps. Got Clearbra installed on my bumpers/lights and looking forward to doing more for my new love.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ordered mine on Friday...hope to get in this week.
I think and expect some improvement, i had K&N in my 2010 Genesis Coupe and have one also in my wifes 2008 Ford Expedition. In her SUV, we went from an avg. MPG of 13.9 mpg to 15.5-15.9 mpg. On the GC, it just gave teh car a lil bit of more oomph and barely noticed any improvement in mpg's.

I'm really hoping that on the Sonata I can get maybe another 1-2 mpg if not a slight oomph....right now averaging 33mpg - 35mpg on 90% hwy commuting.....pretty happy so far and hope to increase w/ K&N..... I'm hoping to update asap...

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (edjd @ Aug 9 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348182
ordered mine on Friday...hope to get in this week.
I think and expect some improvement, i had K&N in my 2010 Genesis Coupe and have one also in my wifes 2008 Ford Expedition. In her SUV, we went from an avg. MPG of 13.9 mpg to 15.5-15.9 mpg. On the GC, it just gave teh car a lil bit of more oomph and barely noticed any improvement in mpg's.

I'm really hoping that on the Sonata I can get maybe another 1-2 mpg if not a slight oomph....right now averaging 33mpg - 35mpg on 90% hwy commuting.....pretty happy so far and hope to increase w/ K&N..... I'm hoping to update asap...
Strange, my car is still averaging about 27 to 24mpg I don’t know why?? How many miles does your car currently have I got 3k I don’t know if I have to brake her in more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (ijoe @ Aug 9 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348174
Just noticed that the K&N filter was available. I tried searching my local store, but of course they didn't have it in stock.

I liked having this filter on my old accord, but not sure I want to take the plunge and order it online for 50 bucks
Linkeroo

Anyone have this in their Sonata yet? Experiences? :liebe011:

I'm still waiting for my strut bar/mudflaps. Got Clearbra installed on my bumpers/lights and looking forward to doing more for my new love.
I already installed the strut bar and got a new exhaust system 7ism and everything looks great

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dude, that looks REDICULOUS. If you can make a video so i can hear how it sounds, that would be ideal. Did you install it yourself? And was it a pain in the ****? haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (meshuggah27 @ Aug 9 2010, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348286
Dude, that looks REDICULOUS. If you can make a video so i can hear how it sounds, that would be ideal. Did you install it yourself? And was it a pain in the ****? haha
No, i had somebody install it. You can check youtube search for 7ism and you will see a white sonata with the same exhaust you can control how loud or quite the exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
268 Posts
this might be a dumb question but does this replacement filter do anything to sound of the engine? or just improves mpg and a little bit more power?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a dumb question at all. In some cars you might experience a tiny bit of increased noise with high revs on burst acceleration. It comes with just the increased air intake you're getting which is a good thing in my opinion.
I haven't received mine yet, but I'll let you know if theres any noise increase in my Sonata.

Most cars experience a very small increase in power and mileage though of course this is more noticeable if you had a dirty air filter to begin with.

Keep in mind you should clean and oil these filters around every 50000 miles. They'll last you the lifespan of your vehicle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (ijoe @ Aug 10 2010, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348428
Not a dumb question at all. In some cars you might experience a tiny bit of increased noise with high revs on burst acceleration. It comes with just the increased air intake you're getting which is a good thing in my opinion.
I haven't received mine yet, but I'll let you know if theres any noise increase in my Sonata.

Most cars experience a very small increase in power and mileage though of course this is more noticeable if you had a dirty air filter to begin with.

Keep in mind you should clean and oil these filters around every 50000 miles. They'll last you the lifespan of your vehicle.
thank you

i had a cone filter in there for a while but i had to take it out because of the way it fit on the factory tube. there are these little notches on the tube used to keep the ring in the place that caused the filter not to fit on secure enough and would start to fall off so i decided to just take it off and wait until something better came out.

ill probably order this myself in the next couple days

thanks again for your response

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Aug 10 2010, 12:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348332
this might be a dumb question but does this replacement filter do anything to sound of the engine? or just improves mpg and a little bit more power?
K&N filters, SRIs, and CAIs do not improve mileage. It's been proven many times. The computer will automatically adjust the fuel delivery to maintain the identical air to fuel ratio. The air filters can certainly make the engine sound better. And at wide open throttle, they can let more air into the engine, which allows the engine to rev faster. (But that technically burns more fuel.) However for daily driving, the fuel mileage will not change.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Aug 10 2010, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348433
K&N filters, SRIs, and CAIs do not improve mileage. It's been proven many times. The computer will automatically adjust the fuel delivery to maintain the identical air to fuel ratio. The air filters can certainly make the engine sound better. And at wide open throttle, they can let more air into the engine, which allows the engine to rev faster. (But that technically burns more fuel.) However for daily driving, the fuel mileage will not change.
not true at all

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348433
Guess most of those stories about greatly increased gas mileage are mostly placebo effects.

There have been cases where people have received a significant real increase in mileage, but I'd probably attribute that to them replacing their crusty old filters.
This can also be contributed to the fact that the onboard computer takes a while to adjust the mixture as well as a multitude of things with different cars. Theres still a lot of argument over this.

The way I see it, you can't go wrong with an easier air intake on your car that you can use for the vehicle's lifespan. Just be careful not to over-oil the filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348433
+1.
Air alone doesn't make more power.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (chazman @ Aug 10 2010, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348471
+1.
Air alone doesn't make more power.

But cooler air does help increase things a tad. Certain setups on the S2000 have been dyno'ed showing a few bhp improvements.

As far as the K&N goes, I'll wait until there's a washable synthetic filter that'll fit properly thank you very much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts