Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm looking at getting one of these bad boys, but I want to know before I buy it... Does it actually increase hp? And can you tell the difference?

It's a k&n air filter for the air box. I don't want to spend alot of money on a cone filter... maybe... :/ Think I want this one... it's cheaper.
[attachment=17855:33_2354.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Those are relatively high-maintenance, compared to cone filters. K&N Filters usually require oil, which has to be put on in the proper amount, and correctly, or the filter medium is pretty useless. As for HP increase, anything over stock is a possibility for HP increase, though you probably won't see that much. If anything, throttle response will be your biggest selling point for a filter like that on a low-powered car like this.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
minimal gain. in fact i could hardly tell. its louder than the stock paper filter. I replaced my oem a little before the factory reccomended interval with a K&N.

anyways i figure one of these + removing the ridiculously cramped intake piping (the tube from the front grill, under the battery, and into the airbox) likely puts you right around where that $250 intake does for a bump in power, for $200 cheaper.

removing that intake piping will give you a more noticable increase than just replacing the filter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a K&N filter... Honestly, I can't 'feel' any difference from stock.
But I'm sure there is, I can hear the air flow when I stomp on it now.
I've got a number of KMs on the car now since install,
but I've had no discernable difference in MPG or HP.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
high flow filters do help.
i suggest AMSOIL EA FILTERS...they out flow K/N and you dont have to deal with the oiling and cleaning song and dance!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow! I like the sound of that! :D Seems cheaper too. How much hp do you think it would increase me by?

Oh yea, omg grip: I couldn't find the piping yet. :/ I'll look harder tomorrow though. I didn't have much time before I had to go to work today. Working 2nd shift is a pita. :(

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha. I can't believe I missed that. I'll take another look, and from what they were saying, I guess the intake system the accent has basacally chokes the air coming in. Seems like it would do alot if it was taken off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You will be lucky to even see a .5WHP gain with the K&N panel filter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the K&n with the removed front hose, and would recommend it. It sounds nice, has brought up my mpg by about 1.5-2.0, and did help a bit with my top end on the highway.

Granted your not going to feel a lot or even a modest hp increase, but it helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The K&N element was the first thing that I bought too. It didn't make much of a difference except that when I stomped on the gas for the highway, I could feel a slightly better response in 5th gear and just slightly more noise from the intake. Gas milage didn't improve though or I wasn't paying attention. improving milage isn't exactly straightforward for the accent anyway IMO (I would think that Mobil 1, K&N filter, hotter sparks could raise it to something like 35mpg, but no, it's still hovering around 28/29 for me)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts