Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new 16" tires on the GT a few days ago. I was looking for an all season tire with high ratings suitable for all conditions. I dont need dedicated snow tires but wanted something good in snow as well. I bought Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus Technology(low rolling resistance tires). I got to try them out in 3-4 inches of snow today and I will say they are remarkable. They got a 9 out of 10 rating for snow and pretty much everything else wet and dry. These tires handle awesome on dry and wet ground. The stock tires were awful in the snow and these are a great change. I post this in case anyone is looking for a great all season that handles snow really well too.

·
22,793 Posts
I'm beginning to think that ALL OEM stock tires are junk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree but only on certain car companies. I actually work for a car dealer(Acura) and the stock tires on the Acuras are actually really great. Last car was a 2009 Chevy HHR/SS Turbo that came with Michelin which were supposed to be excellent........and they were anything but. On dry ground, yes......snow and rain were horrible. I changed them after a year to better tires.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just put new 16" tires on the GT a few days ago. I was looking for an all season tire with high ratings suitable for all conditions. I dont need dedicated snow tires but wanted something good in snow as well. I bought Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus Technology(low rolling resistance tires). I got to try them out in 3-4 inches of snow today and I will say they are remarkable. They got a 9 out of 10 rating for snow and pretty much everything else wet and dry. These tires handle awesome on dry and wet ground. The stock tires were awful in the snow and these are a great change. I post this in case anyone is looking for a great all season that handles snow really well too.
Continental makes a lot of great tires. On my 2010 Elantra Touring and 2014 Kia Rondo I went with Continental Extremecontact DWS. Not sure how similar they are to your PureContact tires, but the DWS were fantastic.

My new Cooper tires (see sig) I put on last March have been damageed due to curb rash just before I took them off, and premature wear due to bad rear alignment. I am deciding now between getting 2 new Cooper tires to match my 'old' ones, getting some Pirelli Cinturato P6 All Season Plus (low rolling resistance as well, and a 100,000km warranty), or going back to my trusty DWS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Continental makes a lot of great tires. On my 2010 Elantra Touring and 2014 Kia Rondo I went with Continental Extremecontact DWS. Not sure how similar they are to your PureContact tires, but the DWS were fantastic.

My new Cooper tires (see sig) I put on last March have been damageed due to curb rash just before I took them off, and premature wear due to bad rear alignment. I am deciding now between getting 2 new Cooper tires to match my 'old' ones, getting some Pirelli Cinturato P6 All Season Plus (low rolling resistance as well, and a 100,000km warranty), or going back to my trusty DWS.
Yes, I have heard DWS Contis are excellent.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I do think there are varying degrees of junk though. The Nexen's on my GT are far superior to the Hankooks that were on my sedan, but compared to the Pirellis I had on my Intrepid, they are mediocre. The Hankooks were probably among the noisiest tires I've ever had.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd have to agree with the concept of varying degrees of junk...all the OEM tires that I've had on the Toyota, Mazda, and Hyundai vehicles I've had during since 2003 were replaced pretty quickly with some being worse than others for different reasons. I replaced the OEM Kumhos on my Accent with aftermarket Hankooks and I'm really pleased...far superior tires that ride better, handle better, and stop better than the OEMs in wet and dry. It kind of slays me that some people will knock on a brand based on the factory OEM tires that they put on the car. Even Michelin apparently has the "discounted production value" models that are used as OEM tires. Yeah, Michelin aren't junk...just overpriced.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It kind of slays me that some people will knock on a brand based on the factory OEM tires that they put on the car.
This is true, but it is also true that anytime you change tires on a vehicle, it usually runs better simply because new tires of any quality are usually better than worn tires. And folks who have just spent $700 on tires they picked (as opposed to original tires picked for them) are not likely to announce they don't like their new tires. You really have to take all these "Tire X is crap" and "Tire Y is great" reports with a grain of salt.

- Mark

·
22,793 Posts
Excellent point, Mark. I do know that my comment regarding "junk" certainly applies to the two sets of Continental Conti-Pro Contacts that came on my 2011 and 2013. Continental does make good tires. Just not the OEM ones that came with my car. And the Hankook OEM's appear to suffer from the same owner reviews: noisy...noisy, and noisy.

My new Turanza Serenity Plus's are outstanding. Of course, look what I'm comparing them against, LOL. The quiet and soft ride cinched it for me. And the 75K mileage warranty was a plus. Let's see if I can get there doing due diligence with rotations, alignments, and pressure monitoring. I did manage to get about 31K out of the Pro-Contacts (4/32 wear left at trade) and was thrilled to see them leave the rims. I can actually hear myself think now, when I'm on the highway.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is true, but it is also true that anytime you change tires on a vehicle, it usually runs better simply because new tires of any quality are usually better than worn tires. And folks who have just spent $700 on tires they picked (as opposed to original tires picked for them) are not likely to announce they don't like their new tires. You really have to take all these "Tire X is crap" and "Tire Y is great" reports with a grain of salt.

- Mark
Yes, very true...and I think that also includes some of the "subjectively objective" professional tire reviews. I've noticed that depending on the source, you may get quite a difference in opinion that might be attributed to the car it's tested on. Tire Rack does a lot of their testing on the same BMWs which supposedly brings uniformity but may mean nothing if it just doesn't perform right on your particular car to begin with...Personally, I don't usually let the OEMs wear out....I replace them in the first 10K miles...which sometimes might be the same thing

·
Registered
674 Posts
I replaced the OEM Hankooks on my GT after a few months (car delivered in Nov, winter tires added in Dec, and upgraded OEMS in March). Same oem Hankooks on my 2014 Kia, and I had the oems replaced approx a week later.

In each case, the new rubber was much better than the oem Hankooks, especially in the wet. Handling was much better, with road noise improvements being mixed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Personally, I don't usually let the OEMs wear out....I replace them in the first 10K miles...which sometimes might be the same thing
I do the research and if there is a tire I like better on a new car, I usually try and get them replaced after driving the car off the lot. But my experience on what kind of trade-in you can get is highly variable - I've had instances where I was able to upgrade for only slightly more than the difference in cost between the tires and others where they would give me almost nothing for the new tires than came on the car. None of the big tire discount chains would give me squat for the Hankooks that shipped on my GT, so I'm driving them.... they're not great, but they're not terrible either.

- Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
I sold my Hankooks on Kijiji. Not sure if I ever did really well but certainly helped with the cost of new tires.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I usually resign myself to the fact that I'm not going to get much if anything for OEM tires which are recognized as such by tire stores and individuals. In previous attempts, it probably cost me much more in time and effort than what the value difference was between the OEM and replacement tires...if you can even get that much...and if you sell them nobody wants them. That can be even more financially painful if you're going with a larger tire size ( with same wheel ) and the diameter difference makes it so you can't use one of the OEMs as a spare.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree but only on certain car companies. I actually work for a car dealer(Acura) and the stock tires on the Acuras are actually really great. Last car was a 2009 Chevy HHR/SS Turbo that came with Michelin which were supposed to be excellent........and they were anything but. On dry ground, yes......snow and rain were horrible. I changed them after a year to better tires.
What you're describing is perfectly normal behavior for a good Ultra High Performance tire- they stick like glue as long as the temperatures are around 40F and up, but don't work well at all in cold or snow.

My '99 Miata came with some cheap Hankook all-season tires. They squealed with even mildly aggressive cornering, but even worse were practically useless in the wet. I was puzzled because they were "all season" tires so supposedly they'd work well in the rain, right?

I replaced them with some UHP tires (Falken Azenis). These had a 200 wear rating. The difference was incredible. The car cornered like a cat on Velcro. No more squealing and attracting all the wrong kind of attention. No more unintentional burnouts in the rain. They're supposed to be horrible in the snow, but since it never snows here (or almost never gets below 40F) that isn't an issue.

My point is that you can't buy a tire that does all things well- there will always be a compromise between traction, wear, temperature range, noise, etc. Get tires that are suited to your needs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts