Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I purchased a brand new fully loaded Elantra GT less than 24 hours ago. I like the car but this morning I find out while browsing the internet that the 2014 GT's will be getting the more powerful 2.0 GDI engine. :eek:

I didn't bother researching the 2014's before I bought the 2013 because I didn't think Hyundai would make such an engine upgrade after just one year.

I guess I'm just wondering what my options are at this point. Do you guys think I should even bother contacting the dealer about this? Do dealerships usually have some sort of buy back program or some other way of helping in this situation?

Last thing, do you guys think the bigger engine is even worth me worrying about it at this point?

Thanks very much for any advice!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi everyone! I purchased a brand new fully loaded Elantra GT less than 24 hours ago. I like the car but this morning I find out while browsing the internet that the 2014 GT's will be getting the more powerful 2.0 GDI engine.
Not sure where you're getting your information. Everything is rumor or speculation from what I've read. A new (or revised) engine is in the pipeline, either as standard or perhaps a higher-performance option, but whether it makes it into a 2014 is TBD.

The mfgs (and occasionally dealers) sometimes run deals where you can return a new car for any reason if you're not satisfied within a certain time period (typically to move a slow-seller), but this sort of thing is rare and I've never heard of it for an Elantra. Generally there is no "return privileges" or "cooling off period" for new car sales. (Used car return privileges can be more generous since the sale of a used car doesn't suffer the huge depreciation hit that a new car suffers on first sale.) You can certainly ask if you like. Even if you could return it, what would you buy? The new model (whatever it is) isn't here yet. Going in and saying you want to return a car because you've heard there might be a better one coming will make you the butt of jokes around the salesmen's water cooler for weeks.

Cars are revised all the time, so what you're worried about is always going to happen sooner or later. And cars don't always improve after a revision. For example, while direct injection improves fuel economy a bit, it also has led to lots of problems with carbon buildup on intake valves and the special high-pressure fuel pumps are a big reliability issue on many cars, so I'm not sure I'd prefer a GDI engine anyway. Final thought is that when a car has a major revision, the prices typically go up and dealers are less reluctant to discount, so if you got a good deal, you probably spent considerably less than you'd spend on the latest/greatest in a year or two.

Bottom line: Forget about it and enjoy your new car. It's a VERY nice car.

- Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the pep talk. I'm not seriously considering going through the trouble of trying to return it because I do like the car.

I guess my only real concern is resale or trade value in the future. I know when I was considering a Genesis Coupe, there was no way I would think about buying a 2012 because of the upgrades to the 2013.

I know, I know... Right now I should just forgot about all that and enjoy the car! haha! I guess I'm just the type of person who likes to look at a situation from all angles.

·
22,788 Posts
You're gonna fall in love with your 2013, if you aren't already. All's good. Enjoy your decision!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Return policies may also vary depending on where you live. Here in NC I've heard that you legally have 30 days to return anything. Now there may be some "restocking costs" that you must pay. We recently returned an unused over the counter microwave that wouldn't fit to Home Depot, no questions asked. Of course, a new car is orders of magnitude different.

Geoff

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I think the main things affecting resale value will be the overall popularity and reliability of the model. GDI is hardly a new engine technology, just new to Hyundai. Most car buyers don't know or care how their engine is built.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Here in NC I've heard that you legally have 30 days to return anything.
This sounds like something picked up in cocktail party conversation and then bandied about. I doubt it is true. There may be some state statues that apply to returns/refunds when no policy has been agreed to by the customer, but cars are sold with lengthy sales contracts and it is the language of the signed contract that governs the transaction. You don't have 30-days to return "anything".

- Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been hearing rumors about a bigger motor being available at some point but nothing for certain. While I would love to have some more HP in my 2013, it's not a deal-killer for me since I love the car regardless.

·
22,788 Posts
In Oklahoma, you can return the car as long as you don't drive it off the dealer's lot. Once you pass that curb and enter the public highway, you & the finance company own it. No turning back. Why do you think the salesman is standing there waving goodbye with an ear-to-ear grin on his face? He watching his commission come into focus while he looks for his next pigeon to drive in.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I pulled the papers where I purchased two new 2013 cars this year and have the papers explaining that we had 72 hours from that time to return the car and void the sale.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I pulled the papers where I purchased two new 2013 cars this year and have the papers explaining that we had 72 hours from that time to return the car and void the sale.
I'd like to read the specific language of the contract. It may not be as blanket as you think. For example, it is common in car contracts to have a 72-hour period to back out of financing by paying for the car in full or by arranging alternative financing, but this applies only to the financing aspect of the car, not the car sale itself.

It's certainly possible that any given contact may have a return privilege. But that's different than saying there is a general state law that ALL cars have a 72-hr return period. I hate to be in the mode of requesting proof, but if you can find reference to a law in TN (or any other state for that matter) that says all cars can be returned in 72-hrs, I'd sure like to see it.

While it is hard to generalize with 50-states involved, especially in legal matters, most reputable legal sources say there are essentially no guaranteed return privileges, for either used or new cars, in any state, despite widespread rumors to the contrary. (I have heard that CA has a special 48-hour statute that applies only to used cars.) Again, any individual sales contract may include return privileges, although it is not commonly done - dealers hate it as taking back a few-day old car means the loss of thousands of dollars as it can't be sold as new again. Dealers are often much more generous about returns with a used car with a couple extra days of wear/tear causes minor to no extra depreciation - it was a used car before the sale and it is a used car after it is returned. Having a "drive it for a week and return it for a full refund" policy is somewhat common on late-model used cars.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I wonder how many miles can be put on a new car in 72 hours and can still void the sale?

CA, which has some of the most buyer friendly consumer laws, has NO cooling off period. Once you drive it off the lot, you own it. No longer a new car. No returns required under the law. A dealer may set a different policy, but I have never seen it. Seems like an open invitation for abuse.

Post #12 markjenn nailed it.................... at least for TN. And I bet elsewhere.

·
22,788 Posts
Not sure about this. I was once told by a car sales manager if the car was taken to the prospects home and sold, they (new owner) had 72 hours. The paperwork was stalled in the back office until that time had elapsed. Sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did some googling after my first comment. It looks like Mark has it spot on. It does seem to be up to a dealer's generosity whether you can bring one back after any period of time. New and used cars are a completely different animal from other consumer products in the eyes of the law.

Geoff

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm glad y'all have it all figured out, all I know is what my dealer told me. One thing that might make a difference is I pay cash for my cars, I don't like financing a car, haven't done so in 20 years. Read the law that mark posted in #12 I don't see where it talks about new car sales from a dealer. Either way I have never returned a car and don't plan to, that's why you take a long test drive, not just around the block and do lots of research before you buy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I returned a car within the 3 days when I was stationed in NC.....it was brand new Mazda. So long as I did not pass 400 miles I was good to go. I took it back and they reversed the sale and let me pick the model I wanted in place of the car I returned with new paperwork. I did have the option to take my trade back too. No questions asked......may have been the fact that I bought a car and a truck from them at the same time, but it was in the contract for the sale, and the 400 mile rule was from the 100 miles that were on it after the dealership sent a runner to pick it up outside of Raleigh.

·
22,788 Posts
As a former member (in good standing) of the armed forces, if I was a dealer, I'd bend over backwards for our guys and gals in uniform. Then, I'd take that philosophy, and make sure it was also applied to the general public, as well. Probably be out of business in 6 months because of the distrust we all have in most dealers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts