Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local car dealer has brought in several Sonata GLS's that were former rentals.

I just sold a 2003 Suburban nearing 100k because I no longer needed the towing or passenger capacity, it was starting to have a few problems, and I wanted to get something efficient, yet still roomy as I am 6'1" and quite a large fellow.

I started out considering used Taurus', Crown Vics and Grand Marquis', Buick LeSabres and Impalas. Even Chargers. All had higher miles in my price range, are a far cry from the Sonata.

I really hesitated to buy a Sonata, having mainly been an American buyer in the past, but I got this car for $10,900 with about 45,000 miles...plus it was built in 'Bama. I could not find anything comparable, especially considering that there is still 15,000 miles of Bumper to Bumper left on it. The price is $2,000 less than NADA retail.

The one I selected was Silver and very clean, inside and out, did not smell of cigarette smoke like many former rentals do, and I was impressed with the driving characteristics after testing it 3 separate times. No scratches or dents. Everything seemed tight. Brakes were a solid feel. Acceleration was great, which knocked me out for a 4 cyl. I do need to put a new set of tires on it for winter.

Hope I made the right choice.

Its so different from anything I have previously owned.

Am I to understand that the I-4 has a timing CHAIN, not a belt? So it does NOT need to be changed, right?

Does the paint have issues of flaking, and if so, is there anything I can do to help prevent that?

Any tire replacement recommendations? Does the Tire Pressure Monitor System tend to be Buggy?

Does $10,900 for this car w/ 45k seem like a decent deal?

Any other tips or things to watch out for with this car?

Appreciate any answers to my questions.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You made the right choice....just like the rest of us. Go back and offer your dealer $1500.00 for the Zurich 5/100 Comprehensive policy with the $100 deductible. I'd bet they bite.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
Did it come with the power seat option? That would be the deal breaker for me. The fingertip controls for the audio are really a nice feature as well.

As to tires, I replaced the original Michelins on my 2008 Sonata with a set of Kumho Kh16s that I bought from the local Ford dealer for $370 mounted balanced and lifetime balance and rotation and it's only a mile up the road. No problems thus far and it rides very smoothly and handles quite well. The Michelins are ridiculously expensive. But if you want a further opinion spend some time over at TireRack and read the actual reader reviews. You can also buy tires at Tire Rack but you'll have to have them mounted and balanced when you receive them so any cost reduction is negated.

In your case, however, you have to consider snow traction so they might not be the best choice. Here in Texas where I do not have to shovel heat it is not an issue.

The TPMS are not an issue. They work well and are a good addition to modern cars. In the winter months you will lose some air pressure so you might have to check your air pressure more frequently. Almost always taking the pressure up to about 32 psi will stop the light within about a 1/2 mile or less.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The KH-16s are terrible in the snow, but good otherwise. I have about 50k miles on mine and they're about ready for replacement. I use snow tires in the winter - it makes a huge difference over any all-season I've ever had. I might get the KH-16s again next summer.

If you're at all handy, I would not consider the extended warranty. You can fix a lot of little stuff for $1500. The warranty will only pay off if you have a major problem with the engine or tranny, and that's very unlikely to happen before 100k. I had a few smaller issues fixed under warranty when I first got my car new, but absolutely no problems between 60 and 105k. I've only heard one member talk about serious engine issues, and that might have been related to water ingestion through a custom intake. :whistling:

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
I agree about extended warranties. I would avoid them. As I see them they are another profit center for someone as most cars built today do not break down before 100K. Of course there are always exceptions but in general they are a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Nov 9 2010, 07:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370142
I agree about extended warranties. I would avoid them. As I see them they are another profit center for someone as most cars built today do not break down before 100K. Of course there are always exceptions but in general they are a bad deal.
I have mixed feelings towards this topic. The EW for my Saab was a total rip-off which covered one or two repairs and on hindsight one that I wish I had not purchased. However, the EW for my Saturn was well worth the money partly due to the low initial cost, low deductible and extensive coverage and partly due to the fact that the Saturn was little lacking in the quality of its non-engine parts. Given the quality and longevity of late model Hyundais, I'm torn between getting an EW or not. I still have time to make a decision regarding this matter and I will keep a close eye on my vehicle, and Hyundais in general, to see if an EW is indeed something that will be worthwhile to purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Luxury @ Nov 9 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370129
The KH-16s are terrible in the snow, but good otherwise. I have about 50k miles on mine and they're about ready for replacement. I use snow tires in the winter - it makes a huge difference over any all-season I've ever had. I might get the KH-16s again next summer.

If you're at all handy, I would not consider the extended warranty. You can fix a lot of little stuff for $1500. The warranty will only pay off if you have a major problem with the engine or tranny, and that's very unlikely to happen before 100k. I had a few smaller issues fixed under warranty when I first got my car new, but absolutely no problems between 60 and 105k. I've only heard one member talk about serious engine issues, and that might have been related to water ingestion through a custom intake. :whistling:
I'm thinking of going with the Michelin Destiny all-season tires...very good winter performance and 70,000 mile tire.

I'm not really a DIY'er when it comes to newer cars, but I still think I'm going to skip the EW.

Part of the reason I decided on this Hyundai model was its purported improved reliability and quality, especially in comparison to to some of the US models I was looking at. And it was certainly much better priced than 2009 Accords and Camrys with similar miles.

Having a Timing Chain instead of a belt that needs replacement also kind of sold me on the 2.4.

So if the reliability holds true to 100k (the limit of the EW that was offered), then I'm ahead, and I really think it should be that reliable....at least I hope so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts