Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it. Now I'll have to figure out how to install it. I figure the hardest part for me will be taking off the A Pillar trim; there's no way of slipping the wires behind it without taking it off, is there?

Anyway, I've read all the threads, but if anyone can give me any tips on the install, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had to remove the trim to install the cable for my GPS antenna

- start at the top, pull the rubber off around the door frame, just near the top of the plastic covering the pillar

- once you can see the edge of the plastic grab it tightly with your fingers and kind of pull the plastic away from the pillar and twist the plastic towards the windsheild at the same time.

The clips holding it in are fairly strong so don't stress too much about damaging them. It does need a fair bit of force though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ive had to remove the a piller trim to install my mic for my headunit bluetooth. The clips are strong so dont worry too much about breaking them. Just take it out slowly. Do it one clip at a time. If there is a Harbor Freight store in your area, pick up some auto trim removal tools for about 5 bucks for a 10 pack.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive had to remove the a piller trim to install my mic for my headunit bluetooth. The clips are strong so dont worry too much about breaking them. Just take it out slowly. Do it one clip at a time. If there is a Harbor Freight store in your area, pick up some auto trim removal tools for about 5 bucks for a 10 pack.
Thanks for the tips! I'll stop by HF on the way home.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll stop by HF on the way home.
I got the yellow ones (5 or 6 pack?) that are a hard plastic. I have used them many times for removing the trim on the doors since I got my full system installed. They are nice and should last a long time. They have some metal ones at HF, but I feel that those might scratch if you miss or it slips off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the blue plastic ones. They were a dollar more, therefore, they must be better. :)

I have tomorrow off and it's supposed to be warmer, so I'll give it a whirl.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For anyone who cares, other than myself :) , an inprocess update while I warm up a little:
-The mirror fit perfectly on the existing wedge mount
-The A-pillar trim removal went easier than expected
-Pulled back door weatherstripping
-Pulled on edge of trim with fingers-popped right off
-Was able to easily remove green retaining clip, as someone else noted,
by twisting the clip ON THE TRIM SIDE about 90 degrees
counter clockwise

I was really tickled about the ease in removing the trim.

Am still waiting for the low profile add a circuit (should come tomorrow), but I may hook it up with the regular profile unit I bought. Later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, USPS tracking email says the low profile mini add a circuit was delivered! Now to figure out where to mount the temp sensor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wrote an entire DIY up about how to do this install, see http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/158404-mirror-ectomy-complete.html.

Neil
And it was very helpful. I mounted the sensor where you did as well. I threaded the sensor leads through the hood release cable firewall grommet.

Alas, I broke one of the OTHER clips when putting it together. It should come in Wednesday. Maybe I'll put up some pics of the green clip, etc.

Mirror seems to work great. Autodim also seems to work-maybe not as dim as I'd like it, but we'll see. Temp and compass are great. Nice blue characters. Very pleased.

I might re-route the cable from the mirror down to the fuse box. I would up bunching up the excess wire over the headliner, which might not be the best. The A-pillar trim is off, so what the heck? Might also try the other Hyundai dealer in town.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Glad it was helpful! I just tossed all the extra cables up into the headliner. No problems so far, and I've been running for months like that.

For all the other clips except that one magic one you can likely find them at NAPA. They have racks of body trim clips for cheap.

Neil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I re-did the wiring so that the excess was behind the dash.

I tried the other Hyundai dealer and the parts guy had something similar (looked identical to me, but yet another color), and let me have it for nothing. It worked, so I'm good to go! I'll post some pics, esp. of the clips later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(I would've edited my post, but I guess you can't do that after a while).

The autodim might be somewhat subtle, but I think it's adequate for most situations. Haven't had an agressive aftermarket-hid-equipped-lifted-4x4 behind me yet though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts