Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I started only using prem gas. Since that time my car feels like it has more 'pep.' It feels like it accelerates better.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Most cars will run with more power and also better mileage using a higher octane fuel. Your sticker on the gas filler door is the factory recommendation for minimum octane requirements.

Especially with a forced induction car (turbo or supercharger) the higher octane fuel will allow the ECM to make more aggressive tuning adjustments and usually provide a better driving experience. When running the lower octane fuel it will adjust to the lower octane fuel so there is no ping, (less timing) adjustments to injector width and timing etc.

I know the WiFI OBD adapters are not extremely accurate for performance measurements but I have one (Veepeak from Amazon $ 18.95) and run Fusion or Car Data on IOS on my Iphone and with premium fuel, my 0-300 ft, 0-60 mph, 1/8 and 1/4 mile times are better and overall gas mileage is better by 1-2.5 miles per gallon. Another advantage is most premium fule has a little more additives than the lower grades, helping to keep injectors etc clean so less need if any to add fuel system cleaner as often, another savings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most cars will run with more power and also better mileage using a higher octane fuel. Your sticker on the gas filler door is the factory recommendation for minimum octane requirements.

Especially with a forced induction car (turbo or supercharger) the higher octane fuel will allow the ECM to make more aggressive tuning adjustments and usually provide a better driving experience. When running the lower octane fuel it will adjust to the lower octane fuel so there is no ping, (less timing) adjustments to injector width and timing etc.

I know the WiFI OBD adapters are not extremely accurate for performance measurements but I have one (Veepeak from Amazon $ 18.95) and run Fusion or Car Data on IOS on my Iphone and with premium fuel, my 0-300 ft, 0-60 mph, 1/8 and 1/4 mile times are better and overall gas mileage is better by 1-2.5 miles per gallon. Another advantage is most premium fule has a little more additives than the lower grades, helping to keep injectors etc clean so less need if any to add fuel system cleaner as often, another savings.
I have a cheapo wifi obd2 adapter from Amazon. But half the only free app I found with HP, torque readings lags.

·
Registered
514 Posts
About a week ago I started only using prem gas. Since that time my car feels like it has more 'pep.' It feels like it accelerates better.

I used to not believe that until I started doing it. You should see your gas mileage improve as well as the extra pep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
I have a cheapo wifi obd2 adapter from Amazon. But half the only free app I found with HP, torque readings lags.
Try OBD Fusion or Dash Command (either is $ 9.99 one time fee) if you have IPhone, even with an inexpensive OBD device they give you a lot of good info.
1.read and clear all codes
2.immediate fuel use reading, mileage
3. Maps
4. Performance - boost, hp, tq, 0-60, 1/8,1/4, 300', 600" top speed etc.
5.skid pad
all engine parameters
and a lot more.

Even though with the less expensive readers the actual numbers may not be accurate they do show you the trends, so run the mileage and Hp/Tq and 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 mile on regular and then after a couple tanks of premium so the ecm has time to adjust.

You will probably find (especially with the turbo) that mileage improves (offsets the cost per gallon,) and performance improves. Also usually you have better or more additives in premium fuel so it will help keep the system and injectors cleaner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since you're filling up on premium fuel, might as well get ethanol free while you're at it for better gas mileage.
I got better mileage when I switched to Shell ethanol free gas.

Look for stations that carry ethanol free gas here:
www.pure-gas.org

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since you're filling up on premium fuel, might as well get ethanol free while you're at it for better gas mileage.
I got better mileage when I switched to Shell ethanol free gas.

Look for stations that carry ethanol free gas here:
www.pure-gas.org
In many states the ethanol blend is mandatory by law and the only place you are buying real gas is at the boat dock.

Premium is only beneficial for some engines. The higher the compression ratio the better the premium will burn as the computer adjusts timing. (higher octane actually burns slower) You would likely need to run two tanks of gas or let the car run to nearly E before filling to get actual results of your test. a couple MPG increase may not even be worth the trouble depending on the extra cost and baseline cost of regular. last time I did a test between the two in my old car the premium gave me like 2-3 extra mpg but given the difference in the cost of the fuel and selling price of the regular at the time, it was more cost effective to run regular. (cost per mile driven) You should have also noticed a change as states up north switch between winter blends and summer blends and as the weather warms, the engine uses less fuel as the air is less dense and also warms up quicker.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-Update-

Been running Premium for a few tanks and let the tank get nearly empty. Filled the car up with unleaded to feel the difference and wow. It feels like i'm pulling a trailer now. Premium versus Unleaded is night and day in my car.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Every forced induction car should be run on premium fuel.
Not all N/A cars need premium but some do.
All depends on how the engine is tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts