Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some GE Nighthawk H7 bulbs on Amazon.com last week and installed them today. I turned them on in the daylight and wasn't impressed. But when I ran to the store after dark, I noticed a HUGE improvement in the brightness and whiter light output! They are well worth the $30 bucks or so. Only took 5 minutes to install, the headlight bulbs are simple to replace.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I put a set of these in my old Santa Fe less than a month before I got rid of it and bought the 2010 model. They are SOOOOOOO much better than Silverstars, it isn't even funny so now I'm wishing I hadn't gotten them because the Nighthawks aren't made in H11 or H11B. :(

·
Registered
603 Posts
Does anyone know the color temperature of these?

Ive used Sylvania Silverstars before and was generally happy with them. If these are even better, they may be a good alternative for people who want HID look lights without having to mount ballasts and drill holes.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (armycop @ Oct 17 2010, 11:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364182
I bought some GE Nighthawk H7 bulbs on Amazon.com last week and installed them today. I turned them on in the daylight and wasn't impressed. But when I ran to the store after dark, I noticed a HUGE improvement in the brightness and whiter light output! They are well worth the $30 bucks or so. Only took 5 minutes to install, the headlight bulbs are simple to replace.
This is also upgrading the wattage from 35 to 55?

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 18 2010, 01:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364272
This is also upgrading the wattage from 35 to 55?
I actually thought that normal halogen headlights are always 55w and hi-beams are 65w?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Im pretty sure thats how it goes. One of the advantages of HIDs is that when you go with a 35w system, you are actually putting less of a load on your electronics even though you are making more light.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 18 2010, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364275
I actually thought that normal halogen headlights are always 55w and hi-beams are 65w?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Im pretty sure thats how it goes. One of the advantages of HIDs is that when you go with a 35w system, you are actually putting less of a load on your electronics even though you are making more light.
You could be quite correct. I was asking the question as I haven't the first clue! LOL! :whistling:

I am not just one to throw a higher draw bulb on a harness I am unsure of the capacity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (armycop @ Oct 17 2010, 11:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364182

When I checked these on Amazon, it indicated the H7-55NH bulbs do not fit my 2011 GLS. Did you just ignore that warning?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (swhite63 @ Oct 18 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364290
When I checked these on Amazon, it indicated the H7-55NH bulbs do not fit my 2011 GLS. Did you just ignore that warning?
The Amazon auto parts selector is wrong. The stock bulbs are Philips H7 12V 55W (just reading it off the bulb itself).

Here is a quick pic in the carport: (more tomorrow)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im thinking about buying two GE NIGHTHAWK H7-55NHP/BP2 Platinum for my DRL (High beam) and headlights (normal night light). Any comments or suggestions on this choice?

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (SteveYFSE @ Oct 19 2010, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364548
Im thinking about buying two GE NIGHTHAWK H7-55NHP/BP2 Platinum for my DRL (High beam) and headlights (normal night light). Any comments or suggestions on this choice?
I think they would look great, especially if you paired them with HIDs for your lo-beams. The only thing I would be concerned about is these higher powered lights usually dont last as long as standard long-life bulbs, and considering they are your DRLs, they will be on any time you are driving the car so you may not get very long life out of them and at $40 a set, it could get expensive having to replace them often.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have always used Silverstar Ultras. Looks about the same as the pic you attached here. I usually get them off ebay for about $20 a set.

I stick with SU's because they have proven their reliabilty to me. I have never had one blow out on me. They were in my previous car for three years and are in all my cars now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 20 2010, 06:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364799
for only about $10 more you could get a slim-line digital-ballast 55w HID kit from DDM. I'd also recommend the relay harness for $15 more, however. Mine had start-up issues until i put the relay kit in. Now it works flawlessly. Now having HID id never go back to filament bulbs.
I'm planing to get the new angel eye headlights from SR! And I was looking at the xeonsupply, I think I will get their 6000k premium kit+headlight! That will be soooooooo cool!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm interested in upgrading the bulbs in my car and I thought about going to HID's but I read on here that the globes style headlights on these cars create an odd effect with the light discharge. I read that for some reason it leaves 2 dead spots in front of the car which looks like tire tracks and/or the light looks funny due to a prizm effect. I have had HID's in all my of previouse vehicles and I was one of the first in my area to get the conversion kits and everyone asked how and where and for awhile I was buying and reselling the kits to make money but have since stopped. I'm concerned because I really don't want to install the HID's and then not be happy with the outcome, and also I don't wanna hack into my 7 day old car! Ill read more on these kits but I just wanted to post up what I've read about hid's and our cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 19 2010, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364551
I think they would look great, especially if you paired them with HIDs for your lo-beams. The only thing I would be concerned about is these higher powered lights usually dont last as long as standard long-life bulbs, and considering they are your DRLs, they will be on any time you are driving the car so you may not get very long life out of them and at $40 a set, it could get expensive having to replace them often.
I had used Silverstar Ultras in my old Camry and always thought it chewed through bulbs. Never realized they had a shorter life, but it makes sense.

What would you recommend (combination) as far as upgrading the headlights without going the HID route at this time. I'd like to do simple bulb replacements at this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (SteveYFSE @ Oct 20 2010, 01:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364884
I'm planing to get the new angel eye headlights from SR! And I was looking at the xeonsupply, I think I will get their 6000k premium kit+headlight! That will be soooooooo cool!

Don't get Angel Eye or Halo headlights. They're absolutely terrible- they fail after about 2 years. I have a set in my Trailblazer SS and I regret getting them instead of a straight projector kit. They look cool, but the halo ring tends to fail within a 3 year span. IMO they only look good on BMW's- the cars they were originally designed for.

As far as HID's go- definitely do it. I have them in my 07 TBSS, as well as my 04 Santy, and I love them. I got mine from buyhidkits.com, their 6000K kit with harnesses and lifetime warranty. Absolutely worth the money- On my TBSS I went for HIDS both lo and hi-beam and I'll never think about filaments again.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts