Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will be my second hyundai, in fact second car in 9 years! So far I really like it. Sure I will have many questions. What is the System Update for in settings? Do you pay for this? Very tempted to press it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Congrats!
That center stack sure looks nice

·
Registered
548 Posts
Those vents.... They actually put them in a NORMAL spot.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Louiceman, all Elantra Limited models come with LED tail lights.

Was actually thinking of switching from my coupe to a Limited 2014 since I have a baby now...It's so tempting when you work as a Hyundai salesman...
How about just buy 2014 led tail light install your car upgrade look like 2014, I won't tell anyone:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Got a great deal on it as well. Paid $20602 with my 2005 Elantra in trade. I was fortunate enough to be able to pay in cash, so I can continue payment free. My old Elantra really served me well, other than normal maintainance, I only replaced the radiator. Hope I have the same luck with this one, but with all the electronics on board I kinda doubt it. I may trade it back in after 3 years on a Sonata, the car my wife really wants.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Thanks everyone. Got a great deal on it as well. Paid $20602 with my 2005 Elantra in trade. I was fortunate enough to be able to pay in cash, so I can continue payment free. My old Elantra really served me well, other than normal maintainance, I only replaced the radiator. Hope I have the same luck with this one, but with all the electronics on board I kinda doubt it. I may trade it back in after 3 years on a Sonata, the car my wife really wants.
Wow, great track record with the 2005. Hope this one gives you troublefree transportation too, if only for the 3 yrs if you do make the upgrade or for another 9 if you decide to keep it as long as the '05 ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes, my 2005 had 98638 miles on it, and was still running great! The body was also like new! The dealer gave me what I thought had to be top buck $4000 even. I went round, and round with him for 4.5 hours before striking the deal, but finally got my price! So far were very happy with it. I will say it seems to have a lot of road noise, but that may be the tires. As you can see the 2005 was still in great shape!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Road noise - look into KYB shocks - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/149372-kyb-rear-shocks-installed.html $130 - and sub-frame bushings http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/180937-shark-racing-sub-frame-bushings.html - $25 - and different tires will likely help as well.

Also - LOL - that NOW everyone thinks the center vents are a big deal - it was one of the first things I noticed when most people were saying "No real reason to get a 2014 over a 2013" - for example: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-m...chasing-new-elantra-discounted-2013-wait.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While we were test driving cars, I did notice that the Sonata's were more quiet riding than the Elantras!

·
22,793 Posts
Those vents.... They actually put them in a NORMAL spot.
love those center vents
Wish I had those center vents
Guys, I have no proof, just a thought about this new center vent redesign. The location of which has been a major thorn to many 2011-2013 owners. You can search on this forum and read the numerous comments. Almost entirely negative.

Here's my thought: I wonder if the Hyundai design guys read member comments posted on this forum? Who knows, for sure? I'd like to think we have this kind of persuasive power on here as a group. If I was one of their design/marketing guys, I'd be on here almost daily...looking for ways to improve my product and get a leg up on the competition. ;)

Then again, if they haven't changed the 2014's rear dampening after 100+ pages of forum posts on OEM shocks versus KYB's, that would blow my theory out of the water.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Rich - I'd like to think so, but I think it's more likely that they have customers go to the dealer and test drive and "I like the size and price of the Elantra, but I hate the center vents - most likely I'll buy the Accent or Sonata instead", and the salesman has to follow up on what he sold or why he didn't make the sale and that info filters up.

And it hasn't worked very well on other forums I belong to - for example - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281448&page=5 - here we have the factory rep saying that something that other members have ALREADY DONE will not work ...

Oddly, I've seen a lot of things I didn't like about the cars changed (sometimes for the worse), even though I know I didn't tell anyone about them:

2014 Elantra Limited and Accent Preferred - I like the projector headlights with LED's, although I probably wouldn't have spent extra to add them.

2014 Elantra - I like the center vent redesign. I wasn't crazy about the single concentric knobs for the HVAC and radio - they got rid of them for 2014, but after seeing the new design, I thought the 2013 was more stylish, but it wasn't a huge deal for me.

2014 Kia Rio - I hated that the 2013 didn't have a temperature gauge (except the SX), the 2014 does, but the way they implemented it is really poor aesthetically. (The Sorrento does it correctly, IMHO.) Given a choice, I'd rather have a 2013 and rely on my ultra-guage.

·
22,793 Posts
I prefer my single on/off volume knob on the center stack...blends well with the center HVAC control knob...not that I ever use it, well, occasionally. I opt for the steering controls for just about everything except making me a sandwich on the road.

The two knob system is fine. I started with the single knob design in the 2011. Same in the 2013. I've become quite comfortable with that design.

Afterthought on those vent locations: Some of the input may have come from those customer survey's Hyundai sent out to evaluate the new car.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
They need to have the car make the sandwich for you (with a steering wheel button and voice command), like the protein replicators on Star Trek - much safer when you are driving.

It's somewhat an Ergonomics thing on the knobs. My Focus uses the same design as the current Accent - three similar sized knobs for temperature, vent selection, and fan speed.

I'm embarrassed to say that there have been times that I've been frustrated that the windshield was fogging up and realized I turned the vent all the way to cabin when I meant to turn temperature all the way to cold, or vice-versa ...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts