Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not only do turbo engines need the same octane at high altitudes they also do not lose as much power like NA in the thin air.
Turbocharging makes a huge difference in piston engine airplanes for the same reason.

Reactions: jksgvb

·
Registered
67 Posts
Exactly. My normally aspirated Acura RSX ran fine on 85 and I had no qualms about using it here at nearly 5000 ft. even though the recommended min octane was 86. But a turbo? That's going to make sea-level pressure in the combustion chamber at any altitude you can drive through so I think the 87 min is as low as you can go without flirting with pre-ignition. Which sucks because in my area there is about a 40cent surcharge for the mid-grade 87. I'll take that turbo power, though, and not complain too much about the high price of 87.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I get all this, but I feel like we are still paying "regular" grade prices for lower octane fuel.

If things were priced by actual octane rating, you would think we would pay significantly less for 85 grade fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took my 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited AWD on a road trip from Denver, CO down to Grand Canyon and along Route 66 and finally Scottsdale, AZ.

Averaged 33.4 mpg based on in car monitor. But from my manual calculations it might be a bit lower.

It was mostly highway driving with varied terrain. Frankly not much of the drive was flat and I was in smart cruise control and cruising around 75-80 mph.

Two adults / one child with a fully loaded cargo area so I'm pleased by the gas mileage.

Positives about car:
  • Quiet ride with very good road manners
  • Roomy interior with enough space for all passengers
  • Factory navigation was easy to use especially with voice control
  • Auto hold was actually useful. Never used it before but comes in handy when waiting in drive thru at McDonalds
  • Memory seats were a necessity for this road trip as my wife and I switched driving duties quite a bit
    • Still a bit bummed the mirrors don't recall but it wasn't a big issue for us
  • I had initially complained about the AC but after playing with it a bit the AC does perform well enough. Especially in 100+ degree heat.
  • Blind view monitor (not the blind spot on side mirrors) are a god send. I thought it was a gimmick feature but 3 weeks of ownership I can't go back
  • 360 camera has great detail and works better than other implementations I've had on other cars
  • Rain sensing wipers actually work (I've had cars with this same feature and never seem to work right)
  • Hybrid engine is definitely the strong point of this car - power when you need it without being too jerky. And this with driving exclusively in ECO mode
    • Engine never feels like it's struggling or being over worked
  • Adaptive cruise control with lane follow assist works great
    • Does it's best to mirror a human driver
      • Will slowly increase/decrease speed as needed (car doesn't needlessly go full throttle if it doesn't see a car ahead)
      • Sport mode will make the adaptive cruise control react faster, ECO mode will make it react slower, and Smart mode will make it react normal
        • Sport is useful in heavy bumper to bumper traffic as it will react to traffic a lot quicker / ECO mode is better suited for highway cruising where there are far less cars on the road
    • Lane follow also works great. Definitely keeps car in center of lane most of the time
      • It does tend to do a lot of micro-adjustments but that just keeps me informed that it is actually doing it's job
Negatives/nit-picks about the car:
  • One glaring negative is the blind spot monitor. The red warning light on side mirrors too easily get washed out in the sun. I have resolved myself to not depend on those as I can't just easily glance at the side mirror and spot the red warning light, it takes a concerted effort to identify if it is on or not
    • I think yellow would be more visible and a better placement would be inside the car (where the tweeter sits currently)
  • Cooled seats don't work that great, they essentially just keep the seats from heating up but don't actually cool
    • I have found out these are cooled and not ventilated so that explains it. Not a real big deal
  • It still drives like an SUV. It's big and sits high and has a lot of body roll. But this is to be expected so not really a negative, just an observation. But I do enjoy driving this Tucson more than my wife's Forester.
  • Still annoyed by loud beeping noise when backing up
  • One negative on lane follow assist is that it will turn off at a moments notice when it doesn't see lane markers. A slight visual change in instrument panel from green to white. No audible warning cue. I understand we should always have our hands on the steering wheel but kind of funny how it essentially says "sorry, can't see the line markers, turning off lane follow assist, good bye :) "
  • Piano black has to go. Easily picks up too much dust and fingerprints and a few of them already have scratches
Overall I am very pleased with this car and don't regret it one bit.

View attachment 458468

View attachment 458469
I've been a car tech enthusiast since I was in high school some 40 years ago and I'm still on the fence about hybrid cars. It seems as though for some cars the extra cost to buy a hybrid will only get you better acceleration and not necessarily better or significant gas mileage which would be the reason for me to purchase one. I suppose it's nice to have better acceleration without having a bigger gas engine along with better range in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've been a car tech enthusiast since I was in high school some 40 years ago and I'm still on the fence about hybrid cars. It seems as though for some cars the extra cost to buy a hybrid will only get you better acceleration and not necessarily better or significant gas mileage which would be the reason for me to purchase one. I suppose it's nice to have better acceleration without having a bigger gas engine along with better range in stop and go traffic.
Hybrid's strength is city fuel economy. Highway fuel economy gas engines can come near or match hybrid.

I believe the has version gets at least 15 mpg worse in the city.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took my 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited AWD on a road trip from Denver, CO down to Grand Canyon and along Route 66 and finally Scottsdale, AZ.

Averaged 33.4 mpg based on in car monitor. But from my manual calculations it might be a bit lower.

It was mostly highway driving with varied terrain. Frankly not much of the drive was flat and I was in smart cruise control and cruising around 75-80 mph.

Two adults / one child with a fully loaded cargo area so I'm pleased by the gas mileage.

Positives about car:
  • Quiet ride with very good road manners
  • Roomy interior with enough space for all passengers
  • Factory navigation was easy to use especially with voice control
  • Auto hold was actually useful. Never used it before but comes in handy when waiting in drive thru at McDonalds
  • Memory seats were a necessity for this road trip as my wife and I switched driving duties quite a bit
    • Still a bit bummed the mirrors don't recall but it wasn't a big issue for us
  • I had initially complained about the AC but after playing with it a bit the AC does perform well enough. Especially in 100+ degree heat.
  • Blind view monitor (not the blind spot on side mirrors) are a god send. I thought it was a gimmick feature but 3 weeks of ownership I can't go back
  • 360 camera has great detail and works better than other implementations I've had on other cars
  • Rain sensing wipers actually work (I've had cars with this same feature and never seem to work right)
  • Hybrid engine is definitely the strong point of this car - power when you need it without being too jerky. And this with driving exclusively in ECO mode
    • Engine never feels like it's struggling or being over worked
  • Adaptive cruise control with lane follow assist works great
    • Does it's best to mirror a human driver
      • Will slowly increase/decrease speed as needed (car doesn't needlessly go full throttle if it doesn't see a car ahead)
      • Sport mode will make the adaptive cruise control react faster, ECO mode will make it react slower, and Smart mode will make it react normal
        • Sport is useful in heavy bumper to bumper traffic as it will react to traffic a lot quicker / ECO mode is better suited for highway cruising where there are far less cars on the road
    • Lane follow also works great. Definitely keeps car in center of lane most of the time
      • It does tend to do a lot of micro-adjustments but that just keeps me informed that it is actually doing it's job
Negatives/nit-picks about the car:
  • One glaring negative is the blind spot monitor. The red warning light on side mirrors too easily get washed out in the sun. I have resolved myself to not depend on those as I can't just easily glance at the side mirror and spot the red warning light, it takes a concerted effort to identify if it is on or not
    • I think yellow would be more visible and a better placement would be inside the car (where the tweeter sits currently)
  • Cooled seats don't work that great, they essentially just keep the seats from heating up but don't actually cool
    • I have found out these are cooled and not ventilated so that explains it. Not a real big deal
  • It still drives like an SUV. It's big and sits high and has a lot of body roll. But this is to be expected so not really a negative, just an observation. But I do enjoy driving this Tucson more than my wife's Forester.
  • Still annoyed by loud beeping noise when backing up
  • One negative on lane follow assist is that it will turn off at a moments notice when it doesn't see lane markers. A slight visual change in instrument panel from green to white. No audible warning cue. I understand we should always have our hands on the steering wheel but kind of funny how it essentially says "sorry, can't see the line markers, turning off lane follow assist, good bye :) "
  • Piano black has to go. Easily picks up too much dust and fingerprints and a few of them already have scratches
Overall I am very pleased with this car and don't regret it one bit.

View attachment 458468

View attachment 458469
[/ Overall I am very pleased with this car and don't regret it one bit. ]
…And now for the Brit perspective.
I own a ’22 Tucson Hybrid and can pretty much concur with everything you’ve said. Some minor differences between the US and Europe versions exist, for instance replace “cooled” seats with “heated” – no deserts in the UK (yet…) and I’m not sure about engine sizes. Mine is a 1.6 2WD (chosen this since my last car was an AWD which meant I generally had to replace all four tyres (tires?) at once. With 2WD the rear tyres only exist to keep the backside of the car off the road and consequently suffer far less wear than the front.
In UK I think there are generally only 3 versions available at present, the SEConnect, Premium and Ultimate. (at least in the Hybrid range). Mine’s the Premium. Not a lot of difference between this and the Ultimate. However, what’s inside the vehicle seems to be fairly standard throughout the range.
I would agree that the piano black is a police forensics guy dream – fingerprints all over the place, but I have ordered a screen protector for the map display which should reduce the mess. I also keep a microfibre cloth in the car to wipe it down occasionally.
The lane assist is a bit disconcerting as it tries to steer me away from the road markings every time I get too near to them, especially when I have to cross them to overtake etc. However, I believe you can turn this facility off if required. With hands off the wheel when approaching a bend, it soon reminds me to put them back.
Blind spot mirror flashes up red on the passenger side, amber on the driver’s, and also gives me an audio blast inside. Frightened the life out of me when it first went off!
The navigation system is fine – wants for nothing, huge screen and plenty of options to configure. (the “BlueLink” facility lets me search for a place on its map on my smart phone, then sends it to the car for use when I need it.) Glad to see speed camera warnings are also included as many vehicle systems don’t have this feature – probably to conform to other EU country requirements. Having fallen foul of a few of them in the past, I get a bit paranoid when I see one. The “Dudley Do-rights” would argue that if you obey the speed limits you don’t need this facility…sorry to disagree!
Having done only a measly 450miles so far, I can’t comment on fuel efficiency, but the “averages” look promising.
All in all, I’m very happy with the car, still learning about the infotainment features. Finding new options every time. Right up my street!

PT.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts