Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited AWD on a road trip from Denver, CO down to Grand Canyon and along Route 66 and finally Scottsdale, AZ.

Averaged 33.4 mpg based on in car monitor. But from my manual calculations it might be a bit lower.

It was mostly highway driving with varied terrain. Frankly not much of the drive was flat and I was in smart cruise control and cruising around 75-80 mph.

Two adults / one child with a fully loaded cargo area so I'm pleased by the gas mileage.

Positives about car:
  • Quiet ride with very good road manners
  • Roomy interior with enough space for all passengers
  • Factory navigation was easy to use especially with voice control
  • Auto hold was actually useful. Never used it before but comes in handy when waiting in drive thru at McDonalds
  • Memory seats were a necessity for this road trip as my wife and I switched driving duties quite a bit
    • Still a bit bummed the mirrors don't recall but it wasn't a big issue for us
  • I had initially complained about the AC but after playing with it a bit the AC does perform well enough. Especially in 100+ degree heat.
  • Blind view monitor (not the blind spot on side mirrors) are a god send. I thought it was a gimmick feature but 3 weeks of ownership I can't go back
  • 360 camera has great detail and works better than other implementations I've had on other cars
  • Rain sensing wipers actually work (I've had cars with this same feature and never seem to work right)
  • Hybrid engine is definitely the strong point of this car - power when you need it without being too jerky. And this with driving exclusively in ECO mode
    • Engine never feels like it's struggling or being over worked
  • Adaptive cruise control with lane follow assist works great
    • Does it's best to mirror a human driver
      • Will slowly increase/decrease speed as needed (car doesn't needlessly go full throttle if it doesn't see a car ahead)
      • Sport mode will make the adaptive cruise control react faster, ECO mode will make it react slower, and Smart mode will make it react normal
        • Sport is useful in heavy bumper to bumper traffic as it will react to traffic a lot quicker / ECO mode is better suited for highway cruising where there are far less cars on the road
    • Lane follow also works great. Definitely keeps car in center of lane most of the time
      • It does tend to do a lot of micro-adjustments but that just keeps me informed that it is actually doing it's job
Negatives/nit-picks about the car:
  • One glaring negative is the blind spot monitor. The red warning light on side mirrors too easily get washed out in the sun. I have resolved myself to not depend on those as I can't just easily glance at the side mirror and spot the red warning light, it takes a concerted effort to identify if it is on or not
    • I think yellow would be more visible and a better placement would be inside the car (where the tweeter sits currently)
  • Cooled seats don't work that great, they essentially just keep the seats from heating up but don't actually cool
    • I have found out these are cooled and not ventilated so that explains it. Not a real big deal
  • It still drives like an SUV. It's big and sits high and has a lot of body roll. But this is to be expected so not really a negative, just an observation. But I do enjoy driving this Tucson more than my wife's Forester.
  • Still annoyed by loud beeping noise when backing up
  • One negative on lane follow assist is that it will turn off at a moments notice when it doesn't see lane markers. A slight visual change in instrument panel from green to white. No audible warning cue. I understand we should always have our hands on the steering wheel but kind of funny how it essentially says "sorry, can't see the line markers, turning off lane follow assist, good bye :) "
  • Piano black has to go. Easily picks up too much dust and fingerprints and a few of them already have scratches
Overall I am very pleased with this car and don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,010 Posts
Nice report!

I’m sure the 2.5 will have no problem getting 30+ mpg on a similar trip, but I am envious of the Hybrid’s better acceleration.

My ‘22 2.5 Tucson has much less body roll than my ‘19 Santa Fe. Yours should be even better with the low level battery weight.

My Tucson’s ventilated seats are not as cooled as my Santa Fe’s. It seems you were in a pretty hot area. Don’t expect to feel them much when it gets very hot. As you say, though, they help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice report!

I’m sure the 2.5 will have no problem getting 30+ mpg on a similar trip, but I am envious of the Hybrid’s better acceleration.

My ‘22 2.5 Tucson has much less body roll than my ‘19 Santa Fe. Yours should be even better with the low level battery weight.

My Tucson’s ventilated seats are not as cooled as my Santa Fe’s. It seems you were in a pretty hot area. Don’t expect to feel them much when it gets very hot. As you say, though, they help.
Yes, I was in Arizona so it was 100 degrees everyday. Having black leather didn't help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I was in Arizona so it was 100 degrees everyday. Having black leather didn't help.
thanks for the info. glad that you are happy with your purchase. i am getting the same SUV that you got but instead of black interior i am getting gray. i was thinking black looks great but i got gray because black gets hotter on hot and sunny days. with your review makes me more comfortable on my purchase.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. glad that you are happy with your purchase. i am getting the same SUV that you got but instead of black interior i am getting gray. i was thinking black looks great but i got gray because black gets hotter on hot and sunny days. with your review makes me more comfortable on my purchase.
I was back and forth between black vs gray interior but even after my experience I would still choose black.

I know many people don't like full black interior but I prefer it. If only the seats were gray and everything else was black I would have chose that but don't like parts of the dash and the center console being gray.

I'm sure you will enjoy your car as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, the piano black is high maintenance. I like the look...when it's clean, but it doesn't stay clean for long. I keep a couple of Swiffer dry cloths in the car for maintaining the interior.

I have the SEL Convenience, and if there's one feature from the limited I would add it would be the side mirrors with the built in cameras, I am going to ask my dealer if my car would support those if added when I pick up the cross bars and NFC card that I ordered today.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid
46 Posts
^ NikonGuy, GREAT 2,400 mile road trip review - thank you for this.
I believe the EPA's highway fuel economy test schedule (which represents a mixture of rural and Interstate highway driving) involves speeds of up to 60 mph, with the average speed being 48 mph. The EPA's (and Transport Canada's) highway MPG rating for the Tucson Limited (Ultimate in Canada) Hybrid is 36 MPG (6.6L/100 km) and is based directly on that EPA test schedule. The fact that you averaged 33.4 mpg while cruising around 75-80 mph is testament to the excellent fuel economy of the Tucson Hybrid, even on the highway at higher speeds. For those wanting to match or better the EPA's/Transport Canada's highway MPG rating for the Tucson Hybrid, it appears that a maximum speed of 60 mph (96 km/h) on the highway would be prudent/recommended. Then again... who wants to drive that slow on a divided highway designed for higher speeds? 😂
- Richard

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I discovered while driving back was that the car has a built in altimeter.

Throughout the week I was debating whether to download an altimeter app so I would know how much elevation I was gaining or losing.

Next time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing I discovered while driving back was that the car has a built in altimeter.

Throughout the week I was debating whether to download an altimeter app so I would know how much elevation I was gaining or losing.

Next time.
that is interesting. i down loaded the owners manual from Hyundai's web sight i don`t no if it is the us version i went to find about the altimeter and could not find it. so where did you find it? thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is interesting. i down loaded the owners manual from Hyundai's web sight i don`t no if it is the us version i went to find about the altimeter and could not find it. so where did you find it? thanks
Altimeter is with the compass screen, which is an option on the dual screen mode.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Took my 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited AWD on a road trip from Denver, CO down to Grand Canyon and along Route 66 and finally Scottsdale, AZ.

Averaged 33.4 mpg based on in car monitor. But from my manual calculations it might be a bit lower.

It was mostly highway driving with varied terrain. Frankly not much of the drive was flat and I was in smart cruise control and cruising around 75-80 mph.

Two adults / one child with a fully loaded cargo area so I'm pleased by the gas mileage.

Positives about car:
  • Quiet ride with very good road manners
  • Roomy interior with enough space for all passengers
  • Factory navigation was easy to use especially with voice control
  • Auto hold was actually useful. Never used it before but comes in handy when waiting in drive thru at McDonalds
  • Memory seats were a necessity for this road trip as my wife and I switched driving duties quite a bit
    • Still a bit bummed the mirrors don't recall but it wasn't a big issue for us
  • I had initially complained about the AC but after playing with it a bit the AC does perform well enough. Especially in 100+ degree heat.
  • Blind view monitor (not the blind spot on side mirrors) are a god send. I thought it was a gimmick feature but 3 weeks of ownership I can't go back
  • 360 camera has great detail and works better than other implementations I've had on other cars
  • Rain sensing wipers actually work (I've had cars with this same feature and never seem to work right)
  • Hybrid engine is definitely the strong point of this car - power when you need it without being too jerky. And this with driving exclusively in ECO mode
    • Engine never feels like it's struggling or being over worked
  • Adaptive cruise control with lane follow assist works great
    • Does it's best to mirror a human driver
      • Will slowly increase/decrease speed as needed (car doesn't needlessly go full throttle if it doesn't see a car ahead)
      • Sport mode will make the adaptive cruise control react faster, ECO mode will make it react slower, and Smart mode will make it react normal
        • Sport is useful in heavy bumper to bumper traffic as it will react to traffic a lot quicker / ECO mode is better suited for highway cruising where there are far less cars on the road
    • Lane follow also works great. Definitely keeps car in center of lane most of the time
      • It does tend to do a lot of micro-adjustments but that just keeps me informed that it is actually doing it's job
Negatives/nit-picks about the car:
  • One glaring negative is the blind spot monitor. The red warning light on side mirrors too easily get washed out in the sun. I have resolved myself to not depend on those as I can't just easily glance at the side mirror and spot the red warning light, it takes a concerted effort to identify if it is on or not
    • I think yellow would be more visible and a better placement would be inside the car (where the tweeter sits currently)
  • Cooled seats don't work that great, they essentially just keep the seats from heating up but don't actually cool
    • I have found out these are cooled and not ventilated so that explains it. Not a real big deal
  • It still drives like an SUV. It's big and sits high and has a lot of body roll. But this is to be expected so not really a negative, just an observation. But I do enjoy driving this Tucson more than my wife's Forester.
  • Still annoyed by loud beeping noise when backing up
  • One negative on lane follow assist is that it will turn off at a moments notice when it doesn't see lane markers. A slight visual change in instrument panel from green to white. No audible warning cue. I understand we should always have our hands on the steering wheel but kind of funny how it essentially says "sorry, can't see the line markers, turning off lane follow assist, good bye :) "
  • Piano black has to go. Easily picks up too much dust and fingerprints and a few of them already have scratches
Overall I am very pleased with this car and don't regret it one bit.

View attachment 458468

View attachment 458469
33+mpg driving in mountain and hot high desert is great mpg, with a full load to boot. My 2010 Tucson AWD Ultimate will only get 22-26 mpg crossing Cascade Mountain ( up to 7,000 ft), It gets 32+ mpg only Eastern Washington flat land. On trips to Idaho, Rocky Mountains, in Winter,, those long highway climbs of 6-8% grade drop the mpg to 16-18 mpg in 4th gear. Your 33+ mpg driving hot high desert and mountains is impressive.

I can only get 32+ mpg on long flat highway at 65 mph, like my loop around Lake Washington I5 & I405, 65 miles.

I love my 2010 Tucson AWD Ultimate, with two tone coco leather, panoramic sun roof, etc... , but 10 mpg better!!! Make me rethink!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
33+mpg driving in mountain and hot high desert is great mpg, with a full load to boot. My 2010 Tucson AWD Ultimate will only get 22-26 mpg crossing Cascade Mountain ( up to 7,000 ft), It gets 32+ mpg only Eastern Washington flat land. On trips to Idaho, Rocky Mountains, in Winter,, those long highway climbs of 6-8% grade drop the mpg to 16-18 mpg in 4th gear. Your 33+ mpg driving hot high desert and mountains is impressive.

I can only get 32+ mpg on long flat highway at 65 mph, like my loop around Lake Washington I5 & I405, 65 miles.

I love my 2010 Tucson AWD Ultimate, with two tone coco leather, panoramic sun roof, etc... , but 10 mpg better!!! Make me rethink!
Forgot to mention AC was on 95% of the time

·
Registered
50 Posts
Forgot to mention AC was on 95% of the time
i was looking threw the owners Manuel my question i have for you is if you do it or not can you take the vehicle threw a car wash? also if you can do you do a normal wash or do a wash with wax what do you recommend? thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was looking threw the owners Manuel my question i have for you is if you do it or not can you take the vehicle threw a car wash? also if you can do you do a normal wash or do a wash with wax what do you recommend? thanks
It is like any other car so yes you can.

But I'm kind of obsessive when it comes to my exterior paint so I never take my car to those traditional car washes. I just ceramic coated my car this weekend so it's either manual car wash or hand wash at home for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is like any other car so yes you can.

But I'm kind of obsessive when it comes to my exterior paint so I never take my car to those traditional car washes. I just ceramic coated my car this weekend so it's either manual car wash or hand wash at home for me.
thanks again. when i went threw the manual it talked about the cameras that could get damaged with high pressure.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL Hybrid
18 Posts

Just curious what type of gas you used, w/ethanol or w/o?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Regular. So in Denver regular is 85, in New Mexico it is 86, and in Arizona it is 87. So the full gamut.
I wonder about this. The manual says 87 octane minimum. In some high-altitude areas (including my area) they can get away with 85 octane regular because the less dense air results in lower compression in a normally aspirated engine. This isn't the case with a turbo engine. The wastegate will regulate the CR regardless of altitude so I fork over the extra for 87 which is midgrade to satisfy the manual's spec.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder about this. The manual says 87 octane minimum. In some high-altitude areas (including my area) they can get away with 85 octane regular because the less dense air results in lower compression in a normally aspirated engine. This isn't the case with a turbo engine. The wastegate will regulate the CR regardless of altitude so I fork over the extra for 87 which is midgrade to satisfy the manual's spec.
I never thought of if that way. In Colorado it's always been 85 and have been taught that it is the same as 87 at sea level.

Curious if what you say about turbos is true because generally high performance cars with turbos require 93 grade and that just isn't readily available here, premium here is 91.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts