Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been cruzin this forum now for the last couple of days... it is great!! Some really good info on here and good Mods too.

I had an Accent before for 5 years (an 01), it was a great car and never had any problems with it.

My question is do cars still need to be broken in? The owners mannual recommends varying the speed, not accelerating fast, not reving the engine over about 3 or 4 thousand rpms, and not going over 55 mph. All this for the first 1200 miles. Are you guys following this procedure? Do you guys believe in this break in period?

Your insights are appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I never did it.  Once I got out of the dealer with mine, I had to play rough with it. :D  But my car's fine.  I think what the booklet wants you to do with it, is get the ecu used to easy-peasy driving.  Others on here might correct me though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Oct 4 2010, 10:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360870
I never did it.  Once I got out of the dealer with mine, I had to play rough with it. :D  But my car's fine.  I think what the booklet wants you to do with it, is get the ecu used to easy-peasy driving.  Others on here might correct me though.
No, I believe it is primarily for the correct seating of pistons. Also, you should never underrev it. The computer can relearn any pattern if you change your driving style.

You won't see any difference with the car for the first 100K miles, if you don't break in. After that, you can run into oil consumption problems, and probably your engine life will be shorter (like say 150K vs 250K).

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I love how it says in the manual for "break-in" to never lug the engine... that's ALL the automatic does. The ECU lugs the heck outta the engine, and there's nothing you can do to make it not do that, short of flooring it everywhere, or manually forcing it to stay in a lower gear at higher rpms.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Ahhhhh engine break-in. It's a controversial topic. Some people say you have to baby it, others say you have to be hard on it. I don't think you have to be as smooth as what the manual tells you. I mean, max 55mph? Come on. I believe you have to be firm with it, don't beat the crap out of the engine but don't baby it. If you can find long uphills, keep the revs high going up and use engine break going down

Personally, once I left the dealer lot, I floored the thing to 6k, 1-2-3. I've read that the most important part of engine break in happens in the first 20 minutes. Since the factory already gives the engine a good work out on the dyno to make sure it's up to spec, they have already done half the work.

Whatever people tell you, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT LUG THE ENGINE. Dont' keep the rpms low when you're trying to accelerate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the responses yall!!

So I guess I won't make to big of a deal with it. According to the dash it wants me to shift to the next gear very quickly. For example, 2nd to third gear want me to shift at 25mph thats at likle 2000 rpms.; then 3rd to 4th at 35mph. Is that lugging the engine? Or lugging would be when the car is jerking because it is in to high of a gear at too low of speeds?

I have been not going over 65mph instead of the recommended 55. I want to really ride it, but I guess I will wait a little longer maybe 1000 mile mark.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Cruzin10 @ Oct 4 2010, 05:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361000
For example, 2nd to third gear want me to shift at 25mph thats at likle 2000 rpms.; then 3rd to 4th at 35mph. Is that lugging the engine? Or lugging would be when the car is jerking because it is in to high of a gear at too low of speeds?
It's both. Lugging the engine is running it at low RPMs and pushing the gas too much.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well I guess my car is screwed.
As previously mentioned, since day 1 all the auto has done is lug the engine.

Ah well, good excuse for a new car I suppose. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can run low RPM's without lugging... lugging is noticeable when you start to get shakes from it running at too low of RPM for the load.

The other big thing besides avoiding lugging is don't stay at the same RPM for too long, vary your speed by 5mph up and down on the highway.

Those are really the only two processes of breaking in I know to be pretty legit, the others ones you can take or leave.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Cruzin10 @ Oct 4 2010, 07:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361039
Hmmm. That is strange because the owners manual says to run the car at low rpms as much as possible. I.E. not to accelerate quickly and not go above 55 mph.
My manual says to keep the RPM between 2000 and 4000 whenever possible. That is hardly low.

I do hate to drive it like this - not go over 55, vary speed, keep the RPM above 2000. I have another 450 miles to go until I hit 1200. I can't wait.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I left the stealership I took the autoroute. I floored it 1-3, the car has had the hardest break-in I've ever done. I'm at 50k KM's so far, and the car is still going perfect. Only thing I did was 1st oil change I re-put ordinary oil, the next one after I started to put synthetic oil in it. This car has only seen high rpm's since day 1. Still going perfect! Honestly, I'm doing a test with the car to see how much abuse this little engine can take, I plan on swapping in the next 2-3 years. So I don't really mind that it dies on me. But so far, I'm really surprised at what it can take.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiSR @ Oct 5 2010, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361318
When I left the stealership I took the autoroute. I floored it 1-3, the car has had the hardest break-in I've ever done. I'm at 50k KM's so far, and the car is still going perfect. Only thing I did was 1st oil change I re-put ordinary oil, the next one after I started to put synthetic oil in it. This car has only seen high rpm's since day 1. Still going perfect! Honestly, I'm doing a test with the car to see how much abuse this little engine can take, I plan on swapping in the next 2-3 years. So I don't really mind that it dies on me. But so far, I'm really surprised at what it can take.
Good tip on not switching to synthetic too soon. This is my second oil change, I'll be going to synthetic from the next one on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiSR @ Oct 5 2010, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361318
Ha-ha, this is why I don't like to buy a used car! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
New GS owner here as well. Auto though. First time out the dealership w/o knowing about any sort of break-in rules i pushed it to a little under 70mph driving it back home a few miles. Since then i've been trying to go the 55mph route on the freeway but it's excruciating. I always find myself looking in rearview to see if anybody is flipping me off haha.

I'll push it to close to 60mph if there's a steady flow of traffic but i try to hover aorund 55mph for the most part. Kinda sucks though to be honest lol cant wait for the break-in period to end.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just picked up my 2011 on 10/7. It has 1,400 miles on it today. I drove mine off the dealer lot, took it to the interstate and activated the cruise at 70 mph, and held it like that for about an hour. I don't think this is bad for it. But it's certainly not as good as following the book. Basically, as I understand it, what the engine needs is heat cycles. Bring it up to fully warmed up with relatively low duty, then let it do some work while at fully warmed condition. Then, park it, and let it cool back to ambient temperature. Do that continuously for the first 1,000 miles or whatever the book says. That would be optimal. And generally speaking, for most people, this would be a commute to work and home. So, I wouldn't sweat the break-in period. The worst thing would be to beat on it during the first 1,000 miles.

Speaking of beating on it, I was fairly close to taking this car to the AX track the 3rd day after picking it up. I decided not to because it's an auto, and my FD is a lot more fun.

- JyRO

·
Registered
497 Posts
QUOTE (JyRO @ Oct 18 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364276
I drove mine off the dealer lot, took it to the interstate and activated the cruise at 70 mph, and held it like that for about an hour.
:blink: :unsure:

I've always read to do the complete opposite (I'm not saying this based on the owners manual)... On many forums, no one has recommended, ever, to go on a highway and keep it at one speed. :mellow:

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (StripedAccent @ Oct 18 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364287
:blink: :unsure:

I've always read to do the complete opposite (I'm not saying this based on the owners manual)... On many forums, no one has recommended, ever, to go on a highway and keep it at one speed. :mellow:
I'm not recommending that (sorry, I wasn't clear). I'm just saying that's what I did. I'm not really concerned about the long term condition of this vehicle. But I really don't feel like it's a bad way to break it in, it's just not optimal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my third tank of gas with my 2010 Accent automatic... i'm certainly not keeping it under 55.
Just doing my normal easy drive back and forth to work.
On the way home from the dealership i tucked in behind a Porche and did 85 a good stretch of the way. (no radio, bored)

I think the most i'mportant thing is just not to rag on the engine... ie: over-revv'ing or lugging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts