Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any good options for adding AUX or bluetooth capabilities in the 2006 Sonata? I have looked everywhere but can't find a good one. Any help? Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I swapped out the factory radio for one with all those bells and whistles. I did this a few years ago, and it's been a blessing. Make sure you get one that accepts a USB data key in the front panel, as well.

The radio I have is a JVC KD-S79BT. The Bluetooth dongle plugs into a second USB port on the back of the radio.

The replacement faceplates to adapt to a single DIN or dual DIN radio are available at Crutchfield and Amazon. They don't fit perfectly (as you can see, the curvature is off), and NO ONE KNOWS the proper Pantone/RAL color needed to match the dashboard (I'd love to be proven wrong on that one--even though it's too late for me!)

You'll also need to purchase an adapter harness. You solder it (wire by wire) to the new radio harness, and it makes installation a breeze.

IIRC, there's something odd about the adapter harnesses that are available. The Ford/Hyundai adapter harness typically comes without PIN 24 (I think it's pin 24--it's a secondary power pin, but it's important). I actually went to a local radio installer and asked for a spare pin, which I then placed in location 24 on my adapter harness. Check the forum for radio install help. Removing the interior trim panels is a pain in the butt. Don't forget to buy more white plastic trim attachment clips from your local service shop.

If you plan on continuing to work on your car, trust me: buy the bag.

PM me if you still require assistance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I swapped out the factory radio for one with all those bells and whistles. I did this a few years ago, and it's been a blessing. Make sure you get one that accepts a USB data key in the front panel, as well.

The radio I have is a JVC KD-S79BT. The Bluetooth dongle plugs into a second USB port on the back of the radio.

View attachment 440967

The replacement faceplates to adapt to a single DIN or dual DIN radio are available at Crutchfield and Amazon. They don't fit perfectly (as you can see, the curvature is off), and NO ONE KNOWS the proper Pantone/RAL color needed to match the dashboard (I'd love to be proven wrong on that one--even though it's too late for me!)

You'll also need to purchase an adapter harness. You solder it (wire by wire) to the new radio harness, and it makes installation a breeze.

IIRC, there's something odd about the adapter harnesses that are available. The Ford/Hyundai adapter harness typically comes without PIN 24 (I think it's pin 24--it's a secondary power pin, but it's important). I actually went to a local radio installer and asked for a spare pin, which I then placed in location 24 on my adapter harness. Check the forum for radio install help. Removing the interior trim panels is a pain in the butt. Don't forget to buy more white plastic trim attachment clips from your local service shop.

View attachment 440969

If you plan on continuing to work on your car, trust me: buy the bag.

PM me if you still require assistance.
Cant you repin the plug instead of solder it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
It was a while ago, but IIRC, I was able to acquire the pin (there are two sizes of pins in the connector--this is the larger of the two sizes) with the wire already attached. Since the Ford/Hyundai connector had an empty spot for that pin, I pushed the pin in from the back until it clicked. Then I soldered the two half-harnesses together (with heat-shrink tubing over the splices; I'm not an animal) to make the "jumper" and it's been working fine ever since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts