Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum but love these are they are great for learning and saving money. Just bought my son a 2004 Tiburon GT (135k miles) and it has 2 issues that I need to fix.

First, it needs new valve cover gaskets. Because of the intake manifold and getting access to that back set I want to have a shop do it but they want to charge around $500. I know that back set can be time consuming, does $500 seem reasonable.

Second issue is the door locks don't work. The key wont lock either door from the outside and you cant budge the locks from the inside. The previous owner lost the FOB but that shouldn't have anything to do with this. Anybody have this issue before and how was it fixed.

Appreciate it

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you can do one of them but the other is a pain in the proverbials then get the bits to do it and do the one bank yourself and then get the other done by a garage.. will probably save you in labour and the more you can do yourself the cheaper it will be.

As to the locks - it might be that the solenoid/relay is bad causing the problem with the inside locks - the issue with not being able to open the door from the outside might be that someone has tried to force the lock or use unconventional ways of opening it.

Some locking systems have a recognition circuit (like the Accent does on the ignition system) and if that is keyed to the fob transmitting a radio rolling code you will need a replacement one programmed..

This is just off general principles you understand..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Also you need to check as to whether the car has a timing chain or belt - and if its a belt find out if it has been changed recently. If it hasnt - or you cannot find information regarding that, have it changed - failures of a timing belt can be fatal for an engine.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Latch/actuator assembly is common replace part for that chassis.

Cam cover gasket not hard to do, just time consuming.. worst part of job getting at bolts that hold intake support plates to head so you can get them out of way to allow access to cover bolts, and cover to come off freely for Bank 1 side of engine.. use torque wrench when tighten cover bolts, and RTV as directed by shop manual,, reseal the 1/2 moons also.

loosely assemble the support plates to head, then assemble plenum to lower intake with new gasket oriented in proper fashion, and torque plenum bolts.. now bolt the support plates to plenum, and tighten all the plate bolts.

While apart, most oppertune time to replace plugs and wires,, use NGK Platinum, or step up to NGK IRIDIUM, and install new set of Hyundai-Kia OE wire set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 04 GT tib as well and one of my locks wouldn't work. I just took off the door panels and looked around and using common sense saw a cable wire thing out of where it looked like it needed to be and five minutes later my lock worked. Maybe try that?

Thanks!
-Cal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts