Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm an idiot and let someone jump their car off my battery. They hooked it up wrong. sparks and smoke came from the battery. my car was on, and theirs was dead as a doornail when they hooked it up. it was hooked up for a minute tops. My car still starts. I checked the radio, overhead light, the battery itself (to make sure nothing is melted) and the windshield wipers. my subwoofers still work as well. My question is, do I need to worry about anything if my car is still working? I just got this car and I'm extremely upset about this. lesson learned.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Connecting jump leads the wrong way round can damage the diodes inside the alternator, so you should check that the battery is still being charged when the engine is running. There is usually a fuse that protects the alternator but I'm not sure if the older Sonata had one.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
If their battery was dead flat I would think your battery would have started charging their battery reverse polarity. Looks like you haven't done any damage to your car but can't say the same for theirs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connecting jump leads the wrong way round can damage the diodes inside the alternator, so you should check that the battery is still being charged when the engine is running. There is usually a fuse that protects the alternator but I'm not sure if the older Sonata had one.
this is a dumb question because I'm a female who knows nothing about cars, but can I take it to somewhere like autozone for them to check my battery?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
this is a dumb question because I'm a female who knows nothing about cars, but can I take it to somewhere like autozone for them to check my battery?
Have them check the charging system. Make sure you tell them to check for AC ripple.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure about your autozone but the people that work at mine are stupid. I brought a new alternator in there to get check before i installed it (yes even new parts sometimes dont work correctly and its a real pain in the A to change on the v6 sonnata from those years) and they have no clue. The guy said we dont know how to use the machine I can try to figure it out and only this on other employee knows and he quit two days ago. I went to an advanced auto which had no problem testing it. You might want to look in to getting safety jumper cables that will tell you if cabled are hooked up wrong or one of those jumper boxes. But try to stay away from the lithium jumpers are they have a habit of catching fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts